Amsterdam Billiards history?

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Word is out that their lease is up, the landlord is asking for the usual astronomical sum and that they'll probably shut down. Anybody know the rest of the deal?

If it's true, it's a typical NYC story. This is what always kills off your favorite neighborhood _____ (bar, restaurant, bookstore). But never your favorite bank, McDonald's, chain drugstore or overpriced boutique.:(

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
while we're on the subject, anybody know why the east side location shut down last year too?

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what one of the employees told me (no names), they aren't gonna shut down. That's already happened to the east side, what's gonna happen is that they will relocate to a downtown location. They're not sure when but might be within the year. They might be going to a chelsea location. That's cool with me man, I live in brooklyn, quicker train ride home.

Travis Bickle said:
Word is out that their lease is up, the landlord is asking for the usual astronomical sum and that they'll probably shut down. Anybody know the rest of the deal?

If it's true, it's a typical NYC story. This is what always kills off your favorite neighborhood _____ (bar, restaurant, bookstore). But never your favorite bank, McDonald's, chain drugstore or overpriced boutique.:(

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The east side closed down due to lease being up. Landlord wanted a ridiculous increase, so it was shut down completely. From what I understand the supposed new renters spoke with someone from amsterdam about why they were closing down after so many years. When they found out what the landlord did, they decided on going elsewhere leaving the landlord screwed. Good for his ass, thats what the greedy bastard gets. I've heard that the location is still empty even now.

Njhustler1 said:
while we're on the subject, anybody know why the east side location shut down last year too?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard they have found a new spot in "Hell's Kitchen" which they will move to.

Hell's Kitchen used to be refer to the West Side of manhattan around 20th St. Now HK is located on the West Side around the mid 40's i'd say.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I surely hope they move rather than just vanish from the scene. Downtown west would fill a void, too. But it would be a shame for the upper West and East Sides. Still, only God, pre-2000 buyers and the rent-controlled can live up there anymore.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the greedy landlord is making a bad bet, because it looks like the real estate bubble may be leaking big-time even now.

They could move 43 blocks straight downtown onto Tenth Ave. and I'd have to become a regular again ... hell I could stop in on my dinner break at work in that case.

Last edited:
Abc

The present landlord who owns the building with Amstrdam and the equinox gym, and the landlord that owns the garage next door, SOLD the buildings to a large real estate developer who intends on erecting a massive residential/hotel on that site.

ABC had several years left on it's lease and came to terms for a buyout on their remaining time.

ABC is presently looking into a few different locations and will NOT shut down, but will relocate within the next 12-18 months.

This is accurate info, direct from the owner, not conjecture.

Randy

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for clearing that up. Info I heard mentioned condos, but no word on a buyout, etc. Hope move goes smoothly, then.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Travis Bickle said:

NOPE...they got kicked out when someone bought the block. i don't believe there's such a thing as a 16 year lease. "lease was up" sounds better than getting the boot.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustah360 said:
The east side closed down due to lease being up. Landlord wanted a ridiculous increase, so it was shut down completely. From what I understand the supposed new renters spoke with someone from amsterdam about why they were closing down after so many years. When they found out what the landlord did, they decided on going elsewhere leaving the landlord screwed. Good for his ass, thats what the greedy bastard gets. I've heard that the location is still empty even now.

Actually, this is not the case. The lease was not up. There was a dispute with the landlord which had nothing to do with an increase. The new tenant-to-be apparently did find out what had happened but did not find out from the owners of Amsterdam. From what I understand, there is far more to the story than even I know and I was a manager there.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
The present landlord who owns the building with Amstrdam and the equinox gym, and the landlord that owns the garage next door, SOLD the buildings to a large real estate developer who intends on erecting a massive residential/hotel on that site.

ABC had several years left on it's lease and came to terms for a buyout on their remaining time.

ABC is presently looking into a few different locations and will NOT shut down, but will relocate within the next 12-18 months.

This is accurate info, direct from the owner, not conjecture.

Randy

This information is entirely accurate. I've spoken to the owners several times about it and although they have looked at several locations, no announcements have been made as yet. It will be further downtown from my understanding but not necessarily "downtown". The owners simply won't say anything specific (at least, not to me) other than the above and that it will probably be bigger than the current space which I'm very excited about.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Actually, this is not the case. The lease was not up. There was a dispute with the landlord which had nothing to do with an increase. The new tenant-to-be apparently did find out what had happened but did not find out from the owners of Amsterdam. From what I understand, there is far more to the story than even I know and I was a manager there.

it makes me laugh when I pass by the old eastside amsterdam and see that after 2yrs that it still hasn't been rented out yet , but I guess with the extra 3 stories they put on the building there still holding out for that rent($30,000 a month) "I was told" they want, it's amazing how these real estate owners can keep the doors shut and keep a firm price on rent, I see alot of places around where as they seem they won't settle for lesser rent and get it rented, I know when people break a lease for rent they are responcible for it until they get another renter and if they don't like you there'll take there time getting another renter for it.

Steven

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
This information is entirely accurate. I've spoken to the owners several times about it and although they have looked at several locations, no announcements have been made as yet. It will be further downtown from my understanding but not necessarily "downtown". The owners simply won't say anything specific (at least, not to me) other than the above and that it will probably be bigger than the current space which I'm very excited about.

I hope they pick an area where parking is availabile!

Steven

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If Amsterdam Billiards is history in its current location, the tradition goes on.

The locker in which I keep my cue came up for renewal a couple of weeks ago. I generally take the two year deal because it costs less per year.

I know that wherever the new Amsterdam Billiard Club will be located, I'll be one of its players. And so, knowing in full that Amsterdam will not be in its current location for much longer, I renewed my cue locker rental for two years.

Amsterdam Billiard Club is a winning tradition and I fully intend to remain part of.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I hope amsterdam keeps the same staff if they move. Before my job relocated I could walk to work and walk home. Ever since they relocated I would have to drive or commute at the worst hours of the night. And the landlord doesn't even look like he provides maintenance support at amsterdam b/c when the leaks are dripping all I see is a bucket to catch the stuff.

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm corrected. Jude cleared this up to me yesterday in front of Amsterdam Billiards. He was a mgr. for the East side and is now looking for a job. He can do floors, windows, and your grandpa's toilet bowl (which is pretty brave). Should you have work for this man, pls contact the "will work for food foundation" in care of Jude. His face will be present on the flyers. If you happen to be playing at amsterdam, pls be sure to say hi to Jude and buy this skinny fella some food will ya? The man's break in 9ball will definitely show you just how malnourished and hungry he is. Thx!

Jude Rosenstock said:

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you realize this is the second lease in 2 years that Amsterdam Billiards has had problems with, isn't it kinda wiered for owners to have 2 lease problems, maybe there in the wrong buisness, maybe someone is telling them try to something else!.

Steven

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
justabrake said:
Do you realize this is the second lease in 2 years that Amsterdam Billiards has had problems with, isn't it kinda wiered for owners to have 2 lease problems, maybe there in the wrong buisness, maybe someone is telling them try to something else!.

Steven

Steven, if you're being sarcastic, I apologize in advance. The current situation is that the landlord sold the entire building to someone who plans to tear it down and build a hotel. That isn't exactly a lease problem. That's a wall, floor and ceiling problem. The former eastside location had two floors added to the building. Such an addition requires foundation work. Since the poolroom was located in the basement, this meant the work was going to happen in the poolroom. The landlord intended to shut the room down for a duration that would have left the owners in a difficult position financially. The owners decided it was best to leave instead of absorbing a huge loss.

I've known the owners of Amsterdam Billiards for years and I have to say, there are few individuals better qualified to run a poolroom in New York City. There are few rooms in the Northeast that can boast more than 15 years in business and there are few rooms IN THE WORLD that can boast of waiting lists every night of the week.

Regardless of the facts, I simply don't understand why you would take a moment to throw a jab at a poolroom owner. The fact is, any smart businessman knows that pool is not the most profitable enterprise they could invest in. They do it because of a fondness for the game, because they wish to be a part of an American tradition, because for some, there are things more important than money. The owners of Amsterdam have always been involved in competitive pool. They've got several leagues for all caliber players and have hosted numerous professional events throughout the years. They also maintain table-time specials that make it the cheapest room in Manhattan. I think any poolplayer would only wish there were more owners like them.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustah360 said:
I'm corrected. Jude cleared this up to me yesterday in front of Amsterdam Billiards. He was a mgr. for the East side and is now looking for a job. He can do floors, windows, and your grandpa's toilet bowl (which is pretty brave). Should you have work for this man, pls contact the "will work for food foundation" in care of Jude. His face will be present on the flyers. If you happen to be playing at amsterdam, pls be sure to say hi to Jude and buy this skinny fella some food will ya? The man's break in 9ball will definitely show you just how malnourished and hungry he is. Thx!

Very funny, sir. Thank you but I have a job. However, my break IS quite horrible. In fact, my whole game is just disgusting and I'd be willing to meet with anyone who could "help me out" a little. Please keep me in mind if you know of anyone.