Taper Question

Biloxi69

Registered
Hi everyone. I need some help/ideas on how to taper a conical shaft. The tip/ferrule size is fine the way it is but 3 inches from the ferrule to 12 needs to be tapered down. I guess it's like converting this conical taper to a pro taper. The guy I'm doing this for complains the shaft is too thick 3 inches from the ferrule. I want to get some input before I start sanding it down.

Thanks in advance,

Biloxi69

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone. I need some help/ideas on how to taper a conical shaft. The tip/ferrule size is fine the way it is but 3 inches from the ferrule to 12 needs to be tapered down. I guess it's like converting this conical taper to a pro taper. The guy I'm doing this for complains the shaft is too thick 3 inches from the ferrule. I want to get some input before I start sanding it down.

Thanks in advance,

Biloxi69

Well if you plan on sanding the shaft down, you took a wrong turn somewhere.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am assuming you do not have taper bars on your lathe. So set a router on your lathe and turn the front 12 inches straight and then start dialing out the router until it clears the shaft a few inches back from the straight taper. If your lathe does not gave full length cutter travel pass the job on to someone else. That is too much sanding.

Biloxi69

Registered
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a taper bar, just the lathe. I thought it was a tricky one to deal with.

Thanks again,
Biloxi69

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a taper bar, just the lathe. I thought it was a tricky one to deal with.

Thanks again,
Biloxi69

Better indicate that shaft before proceeding. Just wait until you deal with shatter or trying to cut too much at one time. Like most things, complicated in their simplicity :)

Mario