If DCC moves?

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the Derby City Classic moves to the Convention Center where will people stay?
One of the great things about one location is being able to go(crawl)
back and forth to your room. You can party, rest, shower, no driving.
What happens to all night action, the AZ room, players being able to eat
and relax between matches?
I predict attendance will go way down next year.:confused: :confused:

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
hondo said:
If the Derby City Classic moves to the Convention Center where will people stay?
and rwelax between matches?
The Executive West is going to undergo a major renovation -- for all you food complainers (that includes me :) ) the whole restaraunt wing is getting rebuilt. Maybe they'll get a new chef for the new digs.

As far as I know, Greg is talking about keeping the action and the extras over at the Exec West (which will be changing its name, but I forget to what). It's the main tournament tables that move to the Fairgrounds.

The tournament room will be way bigger over there, so for once, they can SCHEDULE MATCHES. Why would that keep people away?? If anything it might attract more people who could now relax and plan their daily routine around known match times -- hallelulia (sp)!! This would be done by having way more tables, including a spill over group of tables which would be available for practice, unless they were needed to keep the tourney on schedule.

The action, which is what goes 24-7, would still be conveniently in the original hotel, so guys can run up and down from their rooms to get more money any time they need to :)

Count me in...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hondo said:
If the Derby City Classic moves to the Convention Center where will people stay? ...
I think the plan is to have shuttles. That's not as convenient as being downstairs from your bed, but I think there are very few venues that offer both reasonable room rates and a space large enough to have all the events.

The Executive Inn is scheduled to be torn down next December to be turned into a parking lot for the Expo grounds, and the Executive West will have a $30 million upgrade, or so the shuttle driver told me.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
hondo said:

I agree. 12 months is not much time to put something like this together and I hope they can find something with lodging attached or at least across the street from the venue.

The shuttle thing does not sound like a good alternative, but again there is not much time and that may be all that can be done.

The Greg Sullivan/Diamond team will find a way to work it out and great time will be had yet again. Of this I am certain!

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hondo said:

I completely agree. My favorite part about the derby is the all night party atmosphere. Its got that vegas feel for me. At any time of day I can get food/alcohol. It wont be the same if I have to shuttle to the tourney room instead of simply walking down the hall from the action room. Am I going to be able to bring my beer on the shuttle? Course not

I too am skeptical and will be very much less inclined to go.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the whole thing with the hotel, but honestly i will be so much better it will be worthwhile.

Although the exec west has so much personality

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I have heard he is buying the clarion from several people where qlympics was held. Not a HUGE hotel, but there are a lot of other hotels very close.

That convention center would house a ton of people and probably 60-70 9' tables. Not to mention all the stuff you could put inside the hotel.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be there to give it a try for sure, the sports complex is right across the street so shuttle ride would be quick and painless. The Derby is during cold weather so a ride in a nice warm shuttle to the door will beat walking into the tournament room from a parking place three hundred feet away. I'm in for the long haul cause the DCC is to much fun.--Leonard

Fragged

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:
Also I have heard he is buying the clarion from several people where qlympics was held. Not a HUGE hotel, but there are a lot of other hotels very close.

That convention center would house a ton of people and probably 60-70 9' tables. Not to mention all the stuff you could put inside the hotel.

Who is "he"?

Changing the DCC to a hotel- shuttle to arena event will change the whole feel/atmosphere and I'm not sure it will ever be the same. I just cant see it being better but i realize the choices are limited.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Suggestion

Maybe they could move it to the Valley Forge Convention Center, the same venue that Alan Hopkins uses for the Super Billiards Expo. Just a thought.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Maybe they could move it to the Valley Forge Convention Center, the same venue that Alan Hopkins uses for the Super Billiards Expo. Just a thought.

Great idea that I think would fall upon deaf ears.
sorry.gif

As they the event are totally different from what I understand.
whip.gif

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I think the plan is to have shuttles. That's not as convenient as being downstairs from your bed, but I think there are very few venues that offer both reasonable room rates and a space large enough to have all the events.

The Executive Inn is scheduled to be torn down next December to be turned into a parking lot for the Expo grounds, and the Executive West will have a $30 million upgrade, or so the shuttle driver told me.

Bob, you ever have to wait on shuttles. Doesn't sound good to me!:(

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
I completely agree. My favorite part about the derby is the all night party atmosphere. Its got that vegas feel for me. At any time of day I can get food/alcohol. It wont be the same if I have to shuttle to the tourney room instead of simply walking down the hall from the action room. Am I going to be able to bring my beer on the shuttle? Course not

I too am skeptical and will be very much less inclined to go.

Unless they come up with a better plan than I've heard so far I think they'll be shocked at how many fewer people go.

av84fun

Banned
hondo said:
Bob, you ever have to wait on shuttles. Doesn't sound good to me!:(

I never waited more than 5 minutes for one and there are a couple of decent motels within a 3 minute walk from the Expo Center. They can also put on a couple of additional shuttle vans. Should be no problem.

Regards,
Jim

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i ve been to the derby every year and in my opinion if it moves from the executive west it will be ruined. if people are forced to shuttle back and forth they will loose intrest, by moving the location of the derby all of its allure and ombiance will be lost.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:

Moving the Derby City Classic to Valley Forge Convention Center would be impossible considering the name and its connection to Diamond Billiards.

It'd be like moving the New Orleans Jazz to a state like Utah.....

Fred