Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Racking At The US BB Championship
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-03-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
...If you think you see a magic rack knockoff used in a pro event, someone should mention it to him so he can sue their pants off.
Well, for sure they aren't using knock-off MBRs in the USBTC.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#17)
stuckart
Paint Dry Watching Champ
stuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond reputestuckart has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 200

03-03-2013, 03:11 AM

I'm here at the USBTC. There has been zero talk about manipulation of the Magic Racks themselves to make balls more wired. The Problem is 9-ball itself and pattern racking.

9-ball is a broken game!

I watched Shane and Jayson Shaw teach a bunch of friends how to soft break and rack the balls to gain an advantage on the 2nd night of 10-ball. They were all laughing like crazy and each were taking turns doing it.

Griffin said that next year that the 9-ball event will be Rack for your Opponent, using the Magic Rack to prevent the pattern racking. This is a good first step! Although we all know that there are opposite pattern racking to effect your opponent, which might actually make everyone break the balls hard.

Twitter: #AZPoolScene
Arizona's #1 Source for Arizona Pool News
http://www.azpoolscene.com

Old
  (#18)
spanky79
AzB Silver Member
spanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond reputespanky79 has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyCalip View Post
Cheating only if it is against the rules in a tournament.

Look at Orcullo at the Swanne.
Can't wait for POV Pool to put it up on Youtube.

Orcullo meticulously placed the Magic Rack on the table.

I touch and move the balls in the Magic Rack to make sure they are touching........grin

Me cheat, I'm a honest Pool Player.
Never heard of Touch of cheating or Seen someone sharking.

Thanks Joe Tucker.
Shaw had every right to say something and didn't. In fact, if you wach the match Shaw started using the same pattern later in the match. If wouldn't of mattered where you put the balls Orcullo was winning that match.

Old
  (#19)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckart View Post
...Griffin said that next year that the 9-ball event will be Rack for your Opponent, using the Magic Rack to prevent the pattern racking. This is a good first step! Although we all know that there are opposite pattern racking to effect your opponent, which might actually make everyone break the balls hard.
Not sure how the MBR prevents pattern racking. It actually is much more conducive to pattern racking than a triangle.

Having said that, if they go to opponent rack the MBR should help keep up the pace of play and minimize slugs. And while certainly the opponent can pattern rack defensively, this is much less of a problem since the breaker always has the option of pushing out or running a few balls then playing safe just before the problems are encountered.

In other words the player who was the victim of pattern racking at least has control of the table with opponent rack whereas with rack your own pattern racking the victim is stuck in his chair and there is nothing he can do about it.

Opponent rack is at least a step in the right direction in this situation.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#20)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Guys,

To stop pattern racking in its place, why not force all players to use the ultimate pattern rack. One in the front. Two and three second row. Four, nine and five in the third row. Six and seven in the fourth row and eight ball behind. Use the Sardo. Use the Magic Rack. Use whatever you want but EVERY rack is the same ball structure. Players might not like it but hey, what are you going to do if it's the rule! As one poster put it, it might save an hour or two at every event! Might also end the endless arguments .

Lyn

Playing Cue - Sort of Straight
Break Cue - Broken
Jump Cue - Looks Great in my Case!
Wrap - None
Tip - Only When the Service AND Food are Good
Case - JB Cases 4 x 8 Custom Case. Joe Porper Vinyl 2 x 4 (Vegas). Joe Porper 2 x 4 Leather for storage (OK, it's empty)

Nicknames - Dead Money, Salamander, Tomato Can, Weekend Warrior, Short Stop, Banger, Ron Casanzio Wannabe, NIT and the recently added Lamb Slayer in no special order. Wow what a list!

Old
  (#21)
Richardson
Who me ?
Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond reputeRichardson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I watched Shane and Jayson Shaw teach a bunch of friends how to soft break and rack the balls to gain an advantage on the 2nd night of 10-ball. They were all laughing like crazy and each were taking turns doing it.
Did you notice how SVB and Dennis did in the 8 ball event? Can't pattern rack and 12mph break 8ball, thank goodness.

Quote:
Griffin said that next year that the 9-ball event will be Rack for your Opponent, using the Magic Rack to prevent the pattern racking. This is a good first step! Although we all know that there are opposite pattern racking to effect your opponent, which might actually make everyone break the balls hard.
Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac kid View Post
Guys,

To stop pattern racking in its place, why not force all players to use the ultimate pattern rack. One in the front. Two and three second row. Four, nine and five in the third row. Six and seven in the fourth row and eight ball behind. Use the Sardo. Use the Magic Rack. Use whatever you want but EVERY rack is the same ball structure. Players might not like it but hey, what are you going to do if it's the rule! As one poster put it, it might save an hour or two at every event! Might also end the endless arguments .

Lyn
This isn't a bad idea.

I pattern rack One Pocket!

Old
  (#22)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 169290

03-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Well they need to come up with some way to stop BS the racking before everyone gets bored watching the same table layout. I'm even thinking of not buying anymore PPV 9 ball matches, and I buy a lot of PPV. Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#23)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"

03-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
Well they need to come up with some way to stop BS the racking before everyone gets bored watching the same table layout. I'm even thinking of not buying anymore PPV 9 ball matches, and I buy a lot of PPV. Johnnyt
Well, that's an issue with any preset pattern, even one determined by officials. And this would still come down to a breaking contest with the advantage going to the guy who can find the speed that separates the balls into the open and allows an easier run out.

maybe
Old
  (#24)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to robsnotes4u 
maybe - 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Should we get rid of the kickoff in the NFL, or maybe the punter? Come on. the break is part of the game and if someone does it better than others, so be it. The game doesn't shouldn't be changed to make the players equal.

Does everyone draw the ball the same; bank the ball the balls the same; kick the balls the same; etc.... Why should the break be any different?

It is time to quit complaining. I get excited when they make the game look easy. I can sit an watch Shane play for hours when he comes to Fargo Billiards, and not get bored.

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Cue...2011 Keith Josey Custom
Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#25)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Have a referee (neutral racker) rack the balls. End of story. If the players don't like it... Don't play.

I'm sure there are enough players, that wouldn't mind, that it would still have a full field of entrants.

There must always be consequences for negative or unwanted behavior
Old
  (#26)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Arrow There must always be consequences for negative or unwanted behavior - 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
Have a referee (neutral racker) rack the balls. End of story. If the players don't like it... Don't play.

I'm sure there are enough players, that wouldn't mind, that it would still have a full field of entrants.
Yes, this is the solution, and I'm sure they will start doing it right away now that it's been presented formally.

I have done many TV events with FOX SPORTS and ESPN and a Referee racked the balls in EVERY MATCH on TV. No problems at all, we rarely even looked at the rack, just trusted the Ref and broke the balls.

The Refs need to be highly respected and have the ability to "correct" anyone that gets out of line. Just like any others, the professional players need to be managed in a sophisticated, yet firm manner.

There must always be consequences for negative or unwanted behavior, AND the players must be told what those guidelines are. This isn't being done these days for some unknown reason.

TO BOOK PRIVATE LESSONS EMAIL ME AT thegameistheteacher@gmail.com - Private Membership Site is www.masteringpocketbilliards.com - For DVDs and Blogs www.cjwiley.com

Old
  (#27)
Gotaction99
Banned
Gotaction99 is on a distinguished road

03-03-2013, 11:41 PM

I agree neutral racker is the best way to go.

Old
  (#28)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com
JCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900
  Send a message via AIM to JCIN  
03-04-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaction99 View Post
I agree neutral racker is the best way to go.
Since this thread was started about the USBTC I will use the schedule of it to ask a question.

How do you have a neutral racker on forty tables ? For eight to nine rounds a day for seven days ? First round at 10 AM last round at 10 PM. Thats about 13 hours per day figuring the matches run an hour long.

Its a serious question. If someone can answer it I am sure it will be considered.

Even if you have ten guys each responsible for four tables each with the first round at 10 AM last round at 10 PM. Thats about 13 hours per day figuring the matches run an hour long. Thats 130 man hours per day times seven days equals 910 man hours for the tournament. A 91 hour work week per man. Double the manpower to twenty guys and its still 45.5 hours per man racking balls. What ten or twenty people are going to come rack balls for a week ? If you pay them $10 an hour thats over $9K in expenses not counting hotel rooms or transportation.

If someone can find a real way to get around the logistics and cost issues of having a neutral racker for everyone in the USBTC I would bet Mark would give it a shot. So lets brainstorm a little.

Volunteers won't work. That is a non-starter for numerous reasons the main one being volunteers tend to un-volunteer quickly when they get tired or someone is a d!ck to them because they lost a match.

My thought is maybe local Boy Scout troops or youth groups like high school bands or something who do it as a fund raiser. Tack on money to the registration fee to form a fund of money that the group gets when the tournament is finished. This would have the added benefit of introducing young people to the game. Downside is do you really want a bunch of kids/teenagers running around a tournament and being responsible for racking ? Maybe but I think it would cause a whole new set of issues. Its an interesting possibility though.

So if neutral rackers are the answer how about instead of complaining everyone takes a shot at a positive solution to the problem? All you need is 910 man hours of reliable labor and a way to pay for it.

Old
  (#29)
Gotaction99
Banned
Gotaction99 is on a distinguished road

03-04-2013, 01:09 AM

Well if a neutral racker is not the solution. What is?

Old
  (#30)
JCIN
TheActionReport.com
JCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond reputeJCIN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900
  Send a message via AIM to JCIN  
03-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaction99 View Post
Well if a neutral racker is not the solution. What is?
I am not saying a neutral racker is not the solution. I am asking if it is the solution then how do you go about implementing it ?

I offered a possible answer that has its own pitfalls. I am curious to hear others ideas.

Last edited by JCIN; 03-04-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: