Consensus "Greatest of All Time" (GOAT) List

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll put 1 on Varner,
2 on Archer,
2 on Ocollo
Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
2 - Earl Strickland - 111
3 - Shane Van Boening - 98
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
9 - Francisco Bustamante - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

NOTE - Anybody can vote in this round, even if you didn't vote in the first round.

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 35): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, Poolmanis, RailBanger, ricardo, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Thank you for participating,
Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB gets my 5 points....
Here's the Current Top 10 GOAT List (see the first post for more info and voting instructions):

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
3 - Shane Van Boening - 103
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

NOTE - Anybody can vote in this round, even if you didn't vote in the first round.

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 36): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, charlietango7, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, Poolmanis, RailBanger, ricardo, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave

PS: Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind. Voting ends on 6/30/2019, at which point the 11th spot will be dropped.

USAPL.NYC

Registered
I think you have forgotten a GOAT, Jean Balukas

Dr. Dave,
With all due respect, I feel that if you are going to compile a list of "Greatest" you missed one of the true greats, Jean Balukas. I feel that many of the members of this site are not old enough to have seem Jean compete ( Yes, in men's and women's events and winning in both) to have a full understanding of just how great she is. In fact, if you were to ask some of the other GOAT's on your list, who are old enough to have competed against her, they would unanimously agree.
Just one old guys opinion.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,
With all due respect, I feel that if you are going to compile a list of "Greatest" you missed one of the true greats, Jean Balukas. I feel that many of the members of this site are not old enough to have seem Jean compete ( Yes, in men's and women's events and winning in both) to have a full understanding of just how great she is. In fact, if you were to ask some of the other GOAT's on your list, who are old enough to have competed against her, they would unanimously agree.
Just one old guys opinion.
There are countless great female players (Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Siming Chen, Jean Balukas, etc.) who we could acknowledge (maybe in a separate list), but that’s not the point of this thread. They are among the GOAT female players, but not the GOAT of all players, IMO.

Please place your vote for the players in this thread.

Thanks,
Dave

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There are countless great female players (Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Siming Chen, Jean Balukas, etc.) who we could acknowledge (maybe in a separate list), but that’s not the point of this thread. They are among the GOAT female players, but not the GOAT of all players, IMO.

Please place your vote for the players in this thread.

Thanks,
Dave

Yup, that's another poll for another day.

Actually, though, such a poll would be less interesting because there are not countless ladies in the women's GOAT discussion, probably just Jean Balukas, Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Ruth McGinnis and Siming Chen. If I had to name ten, though, I'd round out the all time women's top ten GOAT with, in no particular order, Ewa Mataya Lawrence, Lori Jon Jones, Robin Dodson, Jeanette Lee and Ga Young Kim.

I agree with Dr Dave's decision to omit the women in this poll.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 36): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, charlietango7, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, Poolmanis, RailBanger, ricardo, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

Dave

The top 6 spots look firmly set, but 7-10 are very close. Any votes for any of these players can rearrange the bottom half significantly.

Please vote,
Dave

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean (especially with no quoted post).

If you and others want to vote, background info and voting instructions can be found on the first post.

Regards,
Dave

What I mean is that it should be the greatest of their time (time frame). The greatest of all time pits players of different eras playing under different conditions with not the same equipment. It applies to all sports.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know when people in the past have been accused of swinging from Shane, I just

put it to the side. But in this vote...How can people vote for SVB to be one of the greatest?

I don't want to take anything away from him, he is an astounding player, but the greatest?

Archer won the world title...twice
Strickland won the world title...three times.
Varner, Pagulayon, Bustamonte and Reyes all have won at a world event...

So I have a hard time seeing SVB being top 3. I definitely don't see why someone

would give all five votes to him...I guess this is more of a popular vote than a merit based

one.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know when people in the past have been accused of swinging from Shane, I just

put it to the side. But in this vote...How can people vote for SVB to be one of the greatest?

I don't want to take anything away from him, he is an astounding player, but the greatest?

So I have a hard time seeing SVB being top 3. I definitely don't see why someone

would give all five votes to him...I guess this is more of a popular vote than a merit based

one.

Based on his dominance and winning percentage throughout the years in all tournaments/gambling one on one, not just basing it on one tournament. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

one.

I agree .... and I don't agree.

Yes, SVB hasn't won the World 9-ball championship and it's a hole in his resume, in part mitigated by the fact that he has won two silver medals.

... but he has compensating achievements galore. One must look beyond his amazing five titles at the US Open 9-ball. Let's start with his prolific collection of titles at Derby City (including multiple Master of the Table titles) and at Super Billiards Expo. He also has won the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters. Few dispute that he's been the king of ten ball over the past decade.

SVB's resume is a truly great one and I really see him as top five for sure in this era of pool. I can see why he's gotten so many votes. To be honest, I feel strongly that he has had a better career than Earl, though he trails Earl in this poll.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I agree .... and I don't agree.

Yes, SVB hasn't won the World 9-ball championship and it's a hole in his resume, in part mitigated by the fact that he has won two silver medals.

... but he has compensating achievements galore. One must look beyond his amazing five titles at the US Open 9-ball. Let's start with his prolific collection of titles at Derby City (including multiple Master of the Table titles) and at Super Billiards Expo. He also has won the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters. Few dispute that he's been the king of ten ball over the past decade.

SVB's resume is a truly great one and I really see him as top five for sure in this era of pool. I can see why he's gotten so many votes. To be honest, I feel strongly that he has had a better career than Earl, though he trails Earl in this poll.

My thoughts exactly. And IMO by the time Shane's career is done, he will have racked up so many more championships, that people won't be disputing his GOAT credentials by that time. I personally believe that an accurate rating system like Fargo Rate really does tell who is the highest skilled player, and for quite a while now, that most certainly has been Shane.

_______

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's get some more votes. Many people who voted in the first round have still not voted in the second round. Also, anybody can vote in this second round, even people who did not vote in the first round.

People who voted in the first round (total number: 59): 9 Ball Fan, AtLarge, atlas333, beetle, Bic D, Bob Jewett, CGM, Chili Palmer, Cornerman, Creedo, CrownCityCorey, deanoc, Dimeball, dontscratch, dr_dave, evergruven, follownoone, Get_A_Grip, gordml, highkarate, icucybe, JazzyJeff87, JC, jeephawk, Johnny Rosato, justadub, kkdanamatt, LeftyIke, Luxury, Magyar19, Maniac, Marc, mark187, markjames, mattb, MattPoland, megatron69, Mich, Mick, monsterdog, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, Pete, PoloBob, PoolBum, Poolmanis, ricardo, Rico, Rimfirejunkie, SamShaddey, Scratch85, Sealegs50, sjm, Snooker Theory, spliced, Tennesseejoe, Tin Man, Tooler, TX Poolnut.

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
We need somebody to break the tie at the bottom of the list so we will have a clean Top 10. Anybody think Johnny is greater than Dennis, or vice versa?

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 191
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 88
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

Remember, we're not just determining the consensus GOAT. We are also identifying the consensus Top 10 GOAT. So chose your vote points with this in mind.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second Round

Efren Reyes - 2
Shane Van Boening - 2
Alex Pagulayan - 1

Rank - Name - Score

1 - Efren Reyes - 193
3 - Shane Van Boening - 105
4 - Alex Pagulayan - 89
5 - Nick Varner - 84
6 - Mike Sigel - 78
7 - Buddy Hall - 51
8 - Wu Chia-ching - 49
10 - Dennis Ocollo - 46
11 - Johnny Archer - 46

People who have already voted in the second round (total number: 37): 9 Ball Fan, atlas333, beetle, Bob Jewett, charlietango7, dontscratch, dr_dave, Get_A_Grip, gordml, Grilled Cheese, harleydon1950, highkarate, icucybe, jay helfert, JazzyJeff87, K2Kraze, Luxury, maha, Maniac, mark187, MattPoland, noMoreSchon, oldschool1478, Poolmanis, RailBanger, ricardo, Runnintable, Saint1500, SamShaddey, Scratch85, sjharr, sjm, skogstokig, Snooker Theory, Tennesseejoe, TX Poolnut, West Point 1987.

Dave