Tip cutting knife

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
When I first started to tinker with installing tips I took a pair of scissors apart and I sharpened the blade to desired bevel. I've recently picked up a few other knifes for cutting leather tips.
You can stop over to a D.A.V or thrift store and pick up a stainless knife that fits your needs and sharpen/ bevel them up as desired.

If you want to get one of the store bought leather blades I suggest Ebay, you'll basically get wholesale pricing.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331492555789

Oh' on the blades- they are hardened steel, you'll want to dip the blade in a cup of water every few moments to keep them cool if power grinding.. If you get it hot enough to burn your skin you'll loose the hardness of the blade and the steel will fail you and become dull rather and chip quickly then come apart like a grenade.

I've also sharpened the pointed end of metal hand files/thread files that stay sharp for a long time- just don't over heat them-

Enjoy'

Rob.M

Last edited:

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
it looks like the bevel is on the wrong side....you need a flat side to hold on the ferrule and a bevel side to cut the tip..............

Kim
You just run the lathe in reverse Kim.

As a point of fact, I cut all my tips in reverse. Started doing it a couple of years ago and like it better.

Alan
(Wrongway Feldman)

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I believe Tiger calls it a Tina knife or Tina blade. I didn't know they had jacked up the price to 65 though. When I bought mine it was 35. I have seen then a similar type knife on Joe Barringer's (or Joey Cuppuchino or whatever he's calling himself now) the Cue components website. I'm Sur instead of the Tina blade he probably calls it a Rita blade or something like that and I'm sure his is much cheaper, and like many of his other products it's (in my opinion) only slightly below the quality of the original. If you buy his just be sure to wear safety goggles

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I believe Tiger calls it a Tina knife or Tina blade. I didn't know they had jacked up the price to 65 though. When I bought mine it was 35. I have seen then a similar type knife on Joe Barringer's (or Joey Cuppuchino or whatever he's calling himself now) the Cue components website. I'm Sur instead of the Tina blade he probably calls it a Rita blade or something like that and I'm sure his is much cheaper, and like many of his other products it's (in my opinion) only slightly below the quality of the original. If you buy his just be sure to wear safety goggles

It's REALLY funny how he criticized tools made in China in his DVD's. He used to sell an American made tool that would fit in tailstock chuck and keep a tap centered. He touted the USA made product and said you could buy a junk Chinese one instead....Last time I visited his site....China abounds

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
You just run the lathe in reverse Kim.

As a point of fact, I cut all my tips in reverse. Started doing it a couple of years ago and like it better.

Alan
(Wrongway Feldman)

you can run the lathe in either direction.... but when you put that blade on the ferrule the beveled side will be down..... it needs to be up and the flat or unbeveled side down instead..................

am I right??

Kim

JC

Coos Cues
It's on Tiger's web site - $55 - Ouch

Dale

The Tina blade on Tiger's web site for $55 is not the tool they are using in the video.

Not sure what it is. You can only see a good full shot of it one time while trimming the first tip. That's what I was wondering if anyone knew. I think the tool in the video might be worth the money.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

JC

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Here's what I know. I had been unsatisfied recently with normal utility blades and FINALLY found those Lennox Gold at Lowe's,but still not as good as expected.

I found a place in Canada that sells among other things,ceramic utility blades,so I ordered a couple.

I've only used it twice so far,but it's WICKED sharp,I've never cut thru the Kamui pads as easily as I did with it. Great results so far,but no data on longevity/toughness yet.

Then I was back at Lowe's a few days ago,and ran into some Blue Hawk flat paint scraper blades that looked like they might be useful. 3 1/2 length and 1/2 wide with one cutting edge sharp on both sides.

So far I really like them. They are slightly more flexible than a typical utility blade at .020,offer a HUGE useable blade and while not as sharp as the ceramic,the sharpness so far rivals the Lennox blades,and a 5 pack of these is 3.00 :cool:. Tommy D.

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i currently use a wood carving knife. super sharp and cuts really well. plus it has an actual handle which offers more control and comfort since i am use to turning on a wood lathe (not cues). del stubs (pinewoodforge.com) makes a good knife.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can get them on ebay for about 17 bucks. I have them in several different sizes.

Reactions: JC