Dennis Orcullo - The Story of his Last Name

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to sort of close the book on this with some proof, here's a Filipino interview of where he clarifies his name's spelling.

At the 2:15 mark, she and Dennis work through the spelling of his name, why it's seen as Orcollo (it's actually Orcullo), when it happened, and then they reiterate the spelling and pronunciation (or COO lyo / or COOL yo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7THk_GL9WQ;t=2m15s

You will also notice that the male announcer pronounce's Alex's name the way I do in the TAR Shane vs Alex Race to 100: pah goo lie YAHN, as opposed to pah goo LIE yahn. The latter is how my mother pronounces it.

He also put the accent on the last syllable of Bustamante. Not normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7THk_GL9WQ;t=25s

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to sort of close the book on this with some proof, here's a Filipino interview of where he clarifies his name's spelling.

At the 2:15 mark, she and Dennis work through the spelling of his name, why it's seen as Orcollo (it's actually Orcullo), when it happened, and then they reiterate the spelling and pronunciation (or COO lyo / or COOL yo).

You will also notice that the male announcer pronounce's Alex's name the way I do in the TAR Shane vs Alex Race to 100: pah goo lie YAHN, as opposed to pah goo LIE yahn. The latter is how my mother pronounces it.

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS

Freddie, pretty soon you'll be speaking Tagalog!

Louie <-------- can't speak a word of Tagalog even though his parents were Filipinos...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My paternal grandmother was born in manila.

Thats all i got...well, that and an awareness that 2Ls make a gnya

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some interesting stories behind nick names and how they came to be.

I understand that you are talking about more of a name change than a nick name but they are similar.

I think everyone knows who Doyle Brunson is. Have you ever wondered how he came to be known as 'Texas Dolly?'

Many years ago, perhaps 30 or so, We had a poker tournament in Las Vegas at the old Horseshoe. It was being televised and the announcer or master of ceremony was 'Jimmy The Greek.'

Jimmy had all they players home state and their names written on a card. He planned to read them off and have the player stand up and take a quick bow.

When he got to Doyle's name he had a problem reading it. Perhaps it was poor hand writing, who knows. So he paused then said 'from...Texas Dolly?' as if he were asking a question.

Well the room roared with laughter and it stuck. That is how Doyle became Texas Dolly !!

Reading your post made me remember this.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Big deal.
My first name comes from the pet name my Father gave my Mother.
Steamer comes from an old Indian word meaning: The first thing a dog does when you let him out of the tee-pee on a cold morning. :thumbup:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Filipinos also pronounce LL's differently than Spanish speakers in America .
Spanish speakers here pronounce LL's a Y. As in pollo ( poyo ).

Filipinos pronounce LL's as LY.
So, Orcullo would be OR COOL YOO.
Pollo would be POL YO there. Caballo would be ca bal yo.

In Spain they pronounce LL as J.:eek:
As is pollo would be PO JO.:eek:
They pronounce Z as TH. Feliz is pronounced FE LITH. :eek:

Translation was lost in the way when Spain colonized the Philippines and most of the south and central Americas, I guess.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Freddie, pretty soon you'll be speaking Tagalog!

Louie <-------- can't speak a word of Tagalog even though his parents were Filipinos...

Freddie actually spoke Bisaya when he was a kid and lost it when he became a Yankee. :grin-square:
I still speak 3 dialects. College level Tagalog at that.
My Tagalog grammar is better than most actors' and news reporters'.:grin-square:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS

I first knew Alex when he was 15.....we all called him Alex...didn't even know his last name...
.....it was apparent even then that he was a gifted player...so three of us entered him in
the Junior Canadian 9-all Championship when he was 16...
...now I became aware of his last name....started calling him Pagu the Lion....
....seems to have stuck.....and an apt moniker also.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie actually spoke Bisaya when he was a kid and lost it when he became a Yankee. :grin-square:
My Tagalog grammar is better than most actors' and news reporters'.:grin-square:

My mom (Cebu) and wife (Mindanao) both spoke/speak Bisaya... I can kind of understand it, but mostly my eyes glaze as they try to teach me.

My parents never taught us because they felt it would confuse us at school. Little did they know there was scholarship money to be had! I understand Tagalog almost perfectly, but can't translate it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And look atcha, ya bum. Hangin with us!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Freddie <~~~ ANYKTROTS

Glad you got this Freddie. Dennis told me himself it was Orcullo in no uncertain terms years ago but there was always dispute that raised the nagging doubt.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is on now in the opening round of the 16 man 1P event in LA:

BigTruck.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad this is all settled. I was just watching '16 WCC and D.Bush kept saying "Orcullio" and no-one was correcting him so he said this way everytime. Glad it wasn't live or i would have called the poolroom.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad this is all settled. I was just watching '16 WCC and D.Bush kept saying "Orcullio" and no-one was correcting him so he said this way everytime. Glad it wasn't live or i would have called the poolroom.

Wait, isn't "Orcullio" pretty close to correct?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's pretty close. No Filipino would complain.