Pro Sports - Fouls Called on Yourself

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Here's a hypothetical situation that I'll pose:
You are playing in a tournament with a specific set of rules. You shoot a shot that you know is a foul in other sets of rules. Your opponent asks if you fouled. Are you supposed to go get the head referee and ask for a ruling or just give ball in hand as it is a foul in most other sets of rules?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling your own fouls is an area for the few.

As for watching your opponent shoot, well, I've always felt that it was disrespectful to not watch my opponent's every move while at the table.

On the other hand, I've always felt you should never pay attention to your opponent while you are at the table. That's when they are supposed to be focused on you and what you do, not the other way around. That in itself will stop a lot of sharking antics.

This is what I've experienced:

Most 9 ball players I've encountered will never call a foul on themselves. Matter of fact, they'll hide one if they can.

Most 14.1 players are just the opposite. They'll be the very first person to say "hey, I did this or that".

American rotation players are in same category as 14.1 IMO.

Most 1hole players I've encountered are the same as 14.1 and AR players.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with the average age of each. But, even the younger 14.1, AR and 1hole players are far more respectful than others their own age that play mostly 9 ball or the like.

Jeff

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While you have a point, there are also situations on a table where the opponent has no opportunity to see a foul. And if you are standing right beside the table while I am shooting I will politely ask you to sit down ... or call over an impartial observer if the shot will be close to a foul for whatever reason :wink:

Dave

Absolutely .. no problem with any of that.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like these two posts....kinda like how I see it.
I call my own fouls....and I was an action guy...I tend to cue real close to the cue ball...
...if you call the foul on yourself....you stop making them.

One of my best friends....he was a good player....but he didn’t depend on gambling..CPA.
....he said to me once...”It’s okay to cheat a cheater.”.....I disagreed....I told him...
“If you cheat a cheater, then you’re letting a scumbag determine your ethics.”

Your not cheating if you opponent who was watching the table doesn’t call the foul...You have to pay attention even when not at the table. If your opponent calls a foul and you did and deny that is cheating. I would never do that. But if we are playing in something that’s not a casual match (tournament , league, money) and your more interested in chatting with friends or texting on your phone then the game we are playing then to bad. I’m not doing your job for you.

TonyFL

Registered
The difference between the NFL Lineman in the OP's original post and pool is that, with the exception of tournaments, there is no officiant watching every move. I have, and will continue to, call fouls on myself but I wouldn't stop my opponent from commiting a foul in a tournament or gambling situation.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen numerous responses concerning the ethical decision to call a foul on yourself during a pool tournament. It seems to be praised here. Just wondering... pro football...should a lineman inform the refs that he was holding and that he would like a 10 yard penalty assessed? Just curious if all "Pro" sports should be held to the same standards or they are just not the same thing based on 'the cash' involved.

My example: I watched an 8-ball tournament match where one player allowed the opponent to shoot the 8 in before noticing their last solid was still on the table. Poor sportsmanship? Gamesmanship?

Thoughts...?

There is absolutely no rule that states the opponents should inform the other player he is about to commit a foul. Would I be a bit miffed if someone did not let me know in some charity event or a $10 local tournament? Yep.

Would I be upset if this happened at a tour event with good players playing for hundreds or thousands? Nope.

It's not up to the opponent to save you from your mistakes.

With no refs in most pool tournaments, the players are the refs. Your example does not really match the question though, first case was a player that fouled saying they fouled, in the example it was the opponent not pointing out the foul before it happened to stop the player from fouling.

I fully agree, as I am sure everyone else would, that if you know you fouled, and there is no ref, or even if there was, it is on your own sense of honor to let the opponent know you fouled. I have seen plenty of pro events where the ref made one call, but the player thought he committed a foul and basically over-ruled the ref. In the weekly tournaments I play, I have seen players walk away to get a drink or go to the bathroom and if the other player fouled while they were gone, they would come back to ball in hand waiting for them.

This actually happened to me a week ago during a doubles tournament, I made a very close hit, which seemed like it may have been bad. So I said "I think that was bad" since I was not really sure and did not want to call it a good shot. My opponent said "no, it was a good hit I was watching it". So we both did the right thing LOL. I was going to accept the foul since it may have been, the opponent said I made a good hit even though I was going to give them ball in hand. That is how I like the game played.

Last edited:

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
There is absolutely no rule that states the opponents should inform the other player he is about to commit a foul. Would I be a bit miffed if someone did not let me know in some charity event or a $10 local tournament? Yep.

Would I be upset if this happened at a tour event with good players playing for hundreds or thousands? Nope.

It's not up to the opponent to save you from your mistakes.

With no refs in most pool tournaments, the players are the refs. Your example does not really match the question though, first case was a player that fouled saying they fouled, in the example it was the opponent not pointing out the foul before it happened to stop the player from fouling.

I fully agree, as I am sure everyone else would, that if you know you fouled, and there is no ref, or even if there was, it is on your own sense of honor to let the opponent know you fouled. I have seen plenty of pro events where the ref made one call, but the player thought he committed a foul and basically over-ruled the ref. In the weekly tournaments I play, I have seen players walk away to get a drink or go to the bathroom and if the other player fouled while they were gone, they would come back to ball in hand waiting for them.

This actually happened to me a week ago during a doubles tournament, I made a very close hit, which seemed like it may have been bad. So I said "I think that was bad" since I was not really sure and did not want to call it a good shot. My opponent said "no, it was a good hit I was watching it". So we both did the right thing LOL. I was going to accept the foul since it may have been, the opponent said I made a good hit even though I was going to give them ball in hand. That is how I like the game played.

This ^^

Especially your last couple remarks. Spot on. Tap Tap