Philly Inquirer pool article nice! Allinger's Ruled

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can read philly inquirer newspaper, either at newsstand or on line philly.com ! Great :help:article in sunday newspaper sport section page D2 !
Historical review of Allingers and pool when pool ruled!!!

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can read philly inquirer newspaper, either at newsstand or on line philly.com ! Great :help:article in sunday newspaper sport section page D2 !
Historical review of Allingers and pool when pool ruled!!!
Thanks Mr Fish on, I'll have to check it out

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Newby's

I remember Newby's at 11th and Chestnut. The room was downstairs from street level. First went there in the early 70's when I was in my late teens. Also went to Boulevard Billiards on those trips. That is where I first saw Jafar Basheer (Aka Henry or Patcheye) play. Miss those days.

Wedge

dfordham

Registered
Thanks for the nostalgia. I played there as a college student in the mid 60's. It was identical to the pool hall in The Hustler; you expected to see Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman when you walked in.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also remember going there in 1965 and 1966. There was an open pill pool game going on right in front of the desk. you paid per game to play. I also remember Newby's, but didn't remember the name. Five years later I was living in New York and playing at McGirrs, a downstairs room on 8th Ave. near 44th St.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember Newby's at 11th and Chestnut.

Wedge

I'll never forget the sign in the bathroom.... If you pee on the floor at home...please pee on the floor here. We want you to feel at home.

I played a game of 8 ball at Allingers on a 6x12. Game took about an hour.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Newby's at 11th and Chestnut. The room was downstairs from street level. First went there in the early 70's when I was in my late teens. Also went to Boulevard Billiards on those trips. That is where I first saw Jafar Basheer (Aka Henry or Patcheye) play. Miss those days.

Wedge

Ah, Boulevard Billiards in the Welsh Rd. shopping center. I believe it used to be called Moulin Rouge. I also remember the Boulevard Social Club on top of the Penn Fruit supermarket at Cottman and the Boulevard. You had to be member to get in and they stayed open all night. I remember watching Jimmy Fusco, Joe Veasey, and Peter Rabbit there. My friends and I would watch till morning.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member

Wedge

I believe Patcheye is still around. I've seen him at Fusco's The Spot on a few weekday afternoons.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ah, Boulevard Billiards in the Welsh Rd. shopping center. I believe it used to be called Moulin Rouge. I also remember the Boulevard Social Club on top of the Penn Fruit supermarket at Cottman and the Boulevard. You had to be member to get in and they stayed open all night. I remember watching Jimmy Fusco, Joe Veasey, and Peter Rabbit there. My friends and I would watch till morning.

Shades of the best of times.....