Getting black marks on balls

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any idea what's happening? Recently we started getting black marks on the
balls, they do come off but not easily. the table has plastic pockets so it's probably not a dye. The balls are cleaned every now and then with Aramith ball cleaner in a homemade cleaning machine. Not an end of the world issues just something no one can seem to explain.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any idea what's happening? Recently we started getting black marks on the
balls, they do come off but not easily. the table has plastic pockets so it's probably not a dye. The balls are cleaned every now and then with Aramith ball cleaner in a homemade cleaning machine. Not an end of the world issues just something no one can seem to explain.
Sometimes the plastic pockets can get gummy.

Can you post a picture of the marks?

What brand of table?

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes the plastic pockets can get gummy.

Can you post a picture of the marks?

What brand of table?

Olhausen, been there for about 4 or 5 years, marks just started happening. We have 4 tables all the same but marks are only showing up on 1 table, just seems strange.
Balls are Aramith.
This in a community room and I noticed that after another group started playing a spot appeared, they mostly were using house cues. I'll take a closer look at the pockets today.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually it's connected to decay, delamination, or grime in the pockets, but all check whether the top coating of the foot or head spot is starting to wear off -- as is often the case with powerful breakers (and more simply in the case of powerfully struck object balls sliding across either of the spots' material).

Arnaldo

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Have the spots been replaced on the table recently? If so, I would suggest that is where the marks are coming from. Simonis spots are especially known for this.

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket inserts

I have the same problem on a diamond. Its the black plastic pocket inserts. It marks up the 1 ball pretty good.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I have the same problem on a diamond. Its the black plastic pocket inserts. It marks up the 1 ball pretty good.

If you are noticing marks on all of the balls, I would suggest that is from the pockets. But, if the marks are far more noticeable on the 1 ball, I would suggest it is coming from the foot spot.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are noticing marks on all of the balls, I would suggest that is from the pockets. But, if the marks are far more noticeable on the 1 ball, I would suggest it is coming from the foot spot.

I have the same issue all of my balls get marked up black marks !

I asked and was told by table tech from diamond this is from pockets wearing to expose dye .
look at your pocket 's see if any pocket wear where balls hit ?
mine shows wear on a 7' diamond! .

Diamond tech solution is to reseal with a product called clear lac made for leather .
this is a special lacquer made for leather .
this is a liquid you spread with a rag. he said just coat worn area .

my local pool guy here said use car wax to seal from dye coming off leather to mark balls .

hope this solves your and my problem?
cheap to try

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
used liquid car wax seems to seal worn pocket areas.
time will tell can not hurt balls .