Barry Hearn

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson says fans not allowed at sports pilot events as planned

Barry was wrong in allowing fans into the venue! At least more sensible minds have now prevailed. Let's all enjoy the snooker on our TVs, a bit of escapism for us all, in these trying times.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53610375

Quote .

" Fans will not be allowed to attend the pilot sports events scheduled for this weekend in England after a spike in coronavirus cases, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

Spectators were due to watch the first two days of two county cricket matches, while 205 fans were at the start of the World Snooker Championship on Friday.

It was also hoped to allow 4,000 racegoers at Goodwood on Saturday.

The new restrictions on fans will be enforced until at least 15 August.

The announcement comes after general restrictions were reintroduced for people in parts of northern England.

"Pilots of larger crowds at sports venues will not take place," Johnson said at a news conference on Friday.

"I said from May we would not hesitate to put on the brakes at the slightest sign that the numbers were going in the wrong direction."

Johnson had said earlier this month that spectators could be able to return to stadiums in England from October.

Premier League looking at 'clinical passports' to help get fans back into stadiums
Beers, big screens and sanitiser - 1,000 fans return to cricket at Oval pilot
Coronavirus: PM puts lockdown easing on hold in England
The planned pilots - and reaction
Fans were already at the World Snooker Championship in Sheffield when the prime minister spoke on Friday, with announcer Rob Walker shouting "we are back" as play started, before adding: "Our socially distanced crowd are poised to roar once more."

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn was shown smiling, clapping and fist-pumping, as spectators - some wearing masks - cheered on the first players Judd Trump and Tom Ford.

Just hours earlier, Hearn had told BBC of his "pride" and "relief" at getting fans back at events.

However, while those with tickets for Friday's further sessions were allowed to stay, there will now be no spectators permitted at the Crucible Theatre from Saturday. Fans with tickets will be given a refund, or be allowed to use them next year.

After the government decision, Hearn told BBC Sport he was "gutted" and "disappointed" to not have an atmosphere, but added: "The show must go on.

"There is a chance - I'm forever the optimist - that maybe a return for the final [on 16 August] is the earliest possible opportunity.

"Congratulations to those guys who went today because they will be able to talk about this for the rest of their lives - the ultimate golden ticket.

"I've never known a circumstance change in a couple of hours, but that is symbolic of what is happening in the world at the moment.

"We don't go off into a corner or go into sulks or tears, we get the job done."

Watch day one of the World Snooker Championship live
England v West Indies at Old Trafford
Sport has been held behind closed doors since its return, including England's Test series against West Indies
Two matches in cricket's Bob Willis Trophy starting on Saturday had been due to welcome spectators - Surrey v Middlesex at the Oval and Warwickshire against Northamptonshire at Edgbaston.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said: "We understand the reasons the government has made this decision, and remain ready to work with them to ensure supporters can safely return to stadiums when government advice allows.

"We are pleased the Bob Willis Trophy will still begin this weekend behind closed doors, and fans will be able to watch their teams in action through the online streams being provided."

The Oval had been due to host 2,500 fans on Saturday and Sunday, having held the first pilot last weekend of 1,000 fans.

Surrey chief executive Richard Gould said: "A lot of hard work has taken place to ensure that members and fans could return to our ground safely.

"We still hope to welcome members to the ground for future matches this summer, and we will continue to work with the ECB and the government to encourage this to happen."

A statement from Goodwood racecourse said: "We are very disappointed for those who were hoping to attend tomorrow's event and for all those who have worked so hard to make it possible for spectators to be present.

"We will engage with public health authorities and the DCMS (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) over a rescheduled pilot at the earliest opportunity."

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden posted on social media that it was "very disappointing news".

"I know the huge efforts cricket, snooker and horseracing have made to welcome fans back. We'll keep working together on their safe return ASAP," he added.

Analysis
BBC sports editor Dan Roan

This will be hugely disappointing news for the events involved, and obviously very worrying for the wider sports industry, which is increasingly desperate to get paying fans back through the turnstiles to ease an unprecedented financial crisis - especially for those sports bodies dependent on matchday revenue, like English Football League clubs.

Until now, the effort to get sports back up and running after lockdown had gone relatively smoothly, with the football season resuming and now almost completed, along with other events such as Test cricket, Formula 1 and horse racing.

This then is a first major setback in the wider effort to return sport to some kind of normality.

However, crucially, I am told by Whitehall sources that the government remains keen to work with sports and Public Health England with a view to getting fans back inside venues from 1 October.

Some sports organisations - like the Premier League - would like to see that target date brought forward, but Friday's news will not have helped them win that argument.

Attendances of 20% to 40% capacity - depending on the nature of the venue - is envisaged by officials from October, and more pilots are being planned in the coming weeks.

It is simply too early to tell whether this is now unrealistic. It remains the aim but there are no guarantees.

This is a stark reminder that the nature of the pandemic means it is difficult to plan months in advance, and that officials will need to take decisive action when data shows worrying trends."

church66 stop trying to bring politics into the world of sport especially at The World Snooker Championships .

Everyday PM Boris 'Bonkers' Johnson's UK Government has made people's life's impossible but now it's switched to by the hourly ratio so if he decides to shut down Sheffield don't be shocked or surprised .

Maybe Anthony Hamilton's decision to withdraw from the World Snooker Championships wasn't so bad after all .

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry was wrong in allowing fans into the venue! At least more sensible minds have now prevailed. Let's all enjoy the snooker on our TVs, a bit of escapism for us all, in these trying times.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

i agree. barry's always pushing. there are other streams of revenue

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie and Barry Hearn on boxing and turning their garden into an arena

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eddie-hearn-garden-barry-boxing-matchroom-fight-camp-wkh7jjpwh

NICE LITTLE HEARNER Inside the Matchroom mansion, Eddie Hearn’s former home converted into an office with a gym, pool, and helipad :

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11683983/inside-matchroom-mansion-eddie-hearn-fight-camp/

Quotes .

"THE Matchroom HQ in Essex is where boxing promoter Eddie Hearn makes all his key decisions.

Originally bought by his dad Barry around 30 years ago, it's was the family's former house before it became the home of boxing, snooker and darts."

Then, it cost Hearn Sr a meagre £200,000 - and was an upgrade from the Dagenham council house he grew up in.

The property boasts a gym and swimming pool, which Hearn's staff and pool of fighters can use.

While in the lush expansive garden, you'll find a helipad and occasionally a boxer working out with pads or going for a run."

Join SunSport for a tour inside.

LEISURE COMPLEX
"Matchroom HQ isn't just a place where Hearn meets his fighters, conducts media days and draws out his plans for boxing domination.

It's also a place that boasts a leisure complex, in which fighters can exercise with their trainers.

"The key to a healthy mind is a healthy body," Hearn told The Daily Mail.

"We've got a pool and a gym upstairs, where the fighters come in for meetings, can have some sessions with their trainers and do some strength work in the pool."

"This pool has been used by a number of great fighters over the years - Chris Eubank, Jim McDonnell, and Darren Barker.

"It's great to have this facility here, not only for our staff and our employers and our team, but also for our team of fighters."

INCREDIBLE GROUNDS
Surrounding the stately property are some stunning grounds.

It's where Anthony Joshua and Co. love to go for a run, and even some outdoor pad work.

"There's some great runs in the forest," Hearn revealed.

"Many fighters have been seen through the years doing many a circuit.

"In the summertime, actually, a lot of them come out here and do their pad work, circuits and strength work.

"It's a great feel and great to have the fighters here, when they are around."

THEY'VE COME A LONG WAY
Eddie's dad Barry has come a long way since his own childhood.

He came from a Dagenham council estate, but made good as a promoter for the likes of Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn and Lennox Lewis.

Although Eddie is effectively in charge of the business these days, Barry still has the better office.

"This was the house my dad bought about 30 years ago," he told TalkSport.

"He was from a council house in Dagenham, did well, and this was his first major purchase.

"I grew up here, so we feel great here and it's been very good to us.

"He paid two hundred grand for it at the time. Looks like a good investment now, but more than the money this has been a very lucky place for us.

"We're big believers in that and luck."

FIGHT ISLAND
Like Dana White has done with the UFC, Eddie has created his own 'Fight Island' to stage boxing matches.

However, his plans are more personal. Hearn is turning the mansion's garden into a fighting arena, with events starting from August 1.

Hearn said: “Our project restart is about staging live boxing from the garden there with a canopy.

"You’ve heard of Madison Square Garden and this is the new garden.

“We talked about doing boxing in studios and there’s a lot of people doing it. I just feel like when you are talking about a gladiatorial sport, like boxing, you need to create that moment, that energy, not just for the viewer at home but the fighter as well.

“We’ve got big plans. It looks fantastic. There’s still a long way to go. I think it’s 90 per cent for us. Anything could happen at any time."

HOW IT'LL WORK
And Hearn has really thought it through.

“There’s a hotel at the bottom of the road that we will take over. On the Wednesday, before the Saturday, everybody will turn up. Fighters, Sky team, corners, our team will all be tested at a facility," he continued.

“You don’t enter the hotel specifically, you enter a side building and you get tested and then you get your key, go into your room and don’t leave until you get the results ."

Emperor Hearns countryside manor isn't exactly an old council tenement block with a small back garden with 4 washing poles like where I live , looks more like a Palace or a Castle , my streamlink was start stop stuff but I was looking more at Emperor Hearns place .

CHEESE GREATER Ted Cheeseman beats Sam Eggington in brilliant, brutal war at Eddie Hearn’s stunning Matchroom Fight Camp setting :

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12290408/cheeseman-egginton-matchroom-fight-camp-result/

Ted Cheeseman beats Sam Eggington at Eddie Hearn's garden Fight Camp :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/53625045

Tipped up on The Sporting Life too :

Boxing betting preview and tips for Fight Camp including Ted Cheeseman v Sam Eggington :

https://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/cheeseman-fancied-to-win-food-fight/182678

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn: ‘Ronnie O’Sullivan is the greatest’

https://snookerhq.com/2020/08/16/barry-hearn-ronnie-osullivan-greatest/

Quote .

“I have to tell you that I think Ronnie O’Sullivan is the greatest player that’s ever held a cue,” Hearn said on 5 Live Sport.

“I think Hendry was a better winning machine and more dedicated, I think Davis at the time was head and shoulders above anything that was out there.”

“Every player has their time, but Ronnie O’Sullivan appears to have so many gears to go through, and he’s a complicated boy as we all know but my word this boy is special.

“I managed him twice and a lot my grey hairs are named after Jimmy White and Ronnie O’Sullivan, but I wouldn’t swap any of them because they give me excitement and they make me want to get out of bed in the morning.”

“We knew we were working towards it at the beginning of the event and that wonderful joy evaporated when after about half an hour the government changed their minds about cancelling all the pilot events.”

“So that was an emotional up and a huge blow down for all the staff that worked so hard.

“We knew we had two weeks to wait, and then we got the call the night before the final started to say it looks like your perseverance has paid off.

“We kept everything in place, we kept nagging as we do quite well, and they knew our track record on health and safety was so high.

“That was a wonderful feeling when they said we can have a final (with fans) – don’t think it’s for the money, because that’s a minor issue in the millions of pounds that have been spent on promoting this sport.

“It was a lift for everyone involved and a reward for all their hard work to actually see smiling faces and people sitting in the audiences.”

The World Championship final concludes on Sunday evening with £500,000 being awarded to the champion.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn would buy the Crucible Theatre to keep World Snooker Championship in Shef

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/17/barr...nship-sheffield-13138883/?ico=more_text_links

Quote .

"World Snooker Tour chairman Barry Hearn says he would buy the Crucible Theatre if needs be, to keep the World Snooker Championship at its traditional Sheffield home. The venue has staged the World Championship since 1977 and hosted a reduced crowd over the weekend as Ronnie O’Sullivan beat Kyren Wilson 18-8 to win his sixth world title. Hearn signed a 10-year deal to stay at the Crucible in 2017 and has regularly reaffirmed his commitment to the iconic building, however, the theatre industry is being hit hard by the coronavirus crisis. Sheffield Theatres, the owners of the Crucible, have announced that up to 29 per cent of staff face redundancy and although no closures have been announced, it is a troubling time for the organisation.

However, Hearn would do everything in his power to keep the Crucible open and capable of hosting the World Snooker Championship. When asked if he would help out if required, the promoter was clear. ‘Well I mean it’s a lovely venue, I would buy it if you like. Of course,’ Hearn told Metro.co.uk. Asked how much such a building would be going for, Barry said: ‘I would imagine very, very cheaply if they’re going out of business.’

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pdc chairman barry hearn tests positive for covid-19

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/pdc-chairman-barry-hearn-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Barry Hearn: Matchroom Sport chairman tests positive for coronavirus :

https://www.skysports.com/darts/new...sport-chairman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

Barry Hearn: World Snooker Tour chairman tests positive for coronavirus :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/54403443

01/10/2020 06:25
Hearn admits all options to be examined regarding PDC World Darts Championship venue :

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/hearn-adm...-be-if-it-has-to-be-somewhere-else-it-will-be

Quote .

"Barry Hearn has admitted that all available options will be examined regarding the venue for the 2020 PDC World Championship with a move away from the Alexandra Palace not entirely off the cards.

Since the restrictions remain on sporting events in the UK, the fate of the World Championship is still up in the air but for Hearn, he has a duty to both the fans and players to put the event on.

He added that if it has to be Alexandra Palace behind closed doors it will be. PDC Chief Executive Matthew Porter previously said that come what may, it will be at the usual venue.

"I'm so frustrated, I don't know," said Hearn.

"The trouble is, it's not a question of taking it somewhere else in the world, because by the time you get there, they might have a COVID-19 problem themselves and the whole thing is thrown out."

"We'll be wherever we have to be because what we want to do is not let the players down," he continued.

"They will be playing for the same prize money, wherever and whenever it is. We won't let the fans down because they'll be seeing the greatest darts players in the world, on a stage for the biggest prize in the sport.

"If it has to be Ally Pally behind closed doors, it will be. If it has to be somewhere else, it will be.

"If it can be with a crowd, it will be. Whatever is possible, it will be. The players will do the best."

Get well soon Emperor Hearn but if that's the message for Darts fans who booked flights , hotels and tickets the same applies to Mosconi Cup fans who would be at The Alexandra Palace 1-4 December 2020 before the PDC World Championship Darts event .

What a mess ! :eek::frown:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emperor Hearn .
Barry Hearn was on Talksports Radio Jim White's Show and he was talking about letting fans into watch Darts , sports etc so the article quotes are from Emperor Barry .

PDC World Darts Championship: Up to 1,000 fans allowed per session but fancy dress banned :​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/55166176

Up to 1,000 fans will be able to attend each session of this year's PDC World Darts Championship but they will not be permitted to wear fancy dress.

The tournament will take place from 15 December to 3 January at Alexandra Palace in London.
Fans from areas in tiers one and two can book a table of four for one household or support bubble, but people from tier three areas cannot attend.

Spectators are also banned from singing or chanting.

The tournament will be the first PDC event to feature a live crowd since March, when restrictions were first imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Organisers said fans must wear face coverings at all times, except when seated at their table, while all food and drink must be ordered via a mobile app.

"Unfortunately, for this year only, we are unable to permit any spectators on site in fancy dress," they said.

"Christmas jumpers, however, are allowed."

The PDC said that "football style" singing and chanting will be banned.

"However, you will be able to encourage your favourite players from your table," they added.

"Failure to adhere to requests from event security to comply with this may lead to your removal from the event."

I looked into 9 Dart Finish Facebook page and although this is great news for Dart's fans people were asking what if we buy tickets to go but the UK Government put us into a higher Tier Level .

Emperor Hearn was in good form on Talksports Radio and he said he will stick by local Council rules and health authorities and it's to be 4 people from their social bubble per table with an App to order their pints and get served their drinks at their tables because everybody likes their pints at the Darts and they will have security to check peoples addresses and throw out the rowdy ones etc .

Emperor Hearn , what would we do in this 'Lockdown' without him ? He still managed to bring us Billiards , Boxing , Darts & his fishing Championship events and he's still paying out the prize money , £2.5M to The World Championship Darts 2021 :

PRIZE MONEY BREAKDOWN DURING 2021 PDC WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP WITH £2,500,000 ON OFFER :​

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/prize-mon...ld-darts-championship-with-ps2500000-on-offer

What a jolly good fellow Emperor Hearn is after all ! :LOL::D:p:cool:(y)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn Tweet :

William Hill World Darts Championship: Tickets Update :​

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2020/12/14/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets-update
Quote .

The William Hill World Darts Championship will be played behind closed doors from December 16-23, following Monday's UK Government announcement.
London will be placed into Tier 3 restrictions from 0001 on Wednesday December 16, which will prevent fans from being able to attend the World Championship at Alexandra Palace after Tuesday's opening night.
That decision will be subject to a review on December 23, with a further announcement in relation to tickets for the post-Christmas action in the World Championship to be made in due course.
As a result, the opening night on Tuesday December 15 will still go ahead with a crowd at Alexandra Palace, before the event moves behind closed doors.
Tickets for Tuesday December 15 and from Sunday December 27 onwards can still be purchased from SeeTickets.
All fans who had a ticket booking for the sessions from December 16-23 will automatically be refunded by SeeTickets to the payment card from which they made the purchase.
Global coverage will be headlined by coverage on the dedicated Sky Sports Darts channel, while the PDC's international broadcast partners will include RTL7 in the Netherlands, DAZN in various territories, Fox Sports in Australia, Sky Sport in New Zealand, PDCTV for Rest of the World Subscribers and at matchroom.live.

Here we go again folks.....

Same as The World Snooker Championships the UK Government set out the rules to allow fans to attend then do a u-turn going by the scientific advice and the Darts fans are allowed in on the first night and then that's it until the next review on December 23rd and the UK Government only just allowed Football fans etc in but it's not allowed in London , think it's Tuesday at midnight London goes into the third tier .

It's all part of the brainwash to make you take the vaccine .

Just my opinion .

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, 11:00

PDC MISSES OUT ON £4MILLION DUE TO ABSENCE OF FANS AT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP :​

Quote .
"The PDC had to suddenly move back to behind closed doors for the showpiece World Darts Championship at the Alexandra Palace following the announcement of London going into Tier 3 (the highest level on the government's system).
This meant that only one night in the first half of the tournament at least saw fans. Barry Hearn spoke to Darts World and revealed that the PDC will take an over £4m hit due to the last minute decision and called on the government to add clarity to the situation sooner.

Also read​

No fans likely allowed at PDC World Darts Championship from Wednesday

“It’s a £4million hit, probably more than £4million," said Hearn to Darts World.
“This is the best we can do, it’s not darts as we know it. I refer to it as Star Trek darts, it’s not darts as we know it Jim.
“I know that they are going to review on December 23, so does that mean we might have a chance of fans back out there? I don’t know.

“I need some leadership and I need some consistency and I need some common sense. It’s not too much to ask is it? We’ve been through this pandemic for nine months we should have some idea of how we should be dealing with it.
“We know the vaccine is coming hopefully and that’s going to have a massive effect but we don’t know when. The essence of all great businesses is the planning. And at the moment in this country whether it’s planning for Brexit or planning for Covid, there’s lots of questions out there about the leadership we are getting.”

Also read​

Prize Money breakdown during 2021 PDC World Darts Championship with £2,500,000 on offer

"

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barry Hearn concedes next month's snooker Masters will be behind closed doors at Alexandra Palace after London was placed in tier four of coronavirus restrictions amid mounting cases in the capital :​

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...er-Masters-closed-doors-Alexandra-Palace.html
Quote .
"
Barry Hearn has conceded the new 'Tier Four' restrictions will force snooker to play next month's Masters behind closed doors.

The game has been confirmed by Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden as one of the elite sports that can continue to stage tournaments without a crowd.

But though London's status could change before the prestigious invitation tournament decisions must be made today regarding organisation of the event.
Until last week tickets were being sold with a capacity of 1,000 per session at Alexandra Palace but those fans now look set to be disappointed.
And an angry Hearn says the late decisions and continually changing landscape are 'a mess' having already been 'burned' at snooker's World Championship in August and the PDC darts this month.

He said: 'It is a mess. If you had asked me about the Masters two days ago I would have said, "All systems go". Suddenly now, realistically, we have a problem.

'It is because of all the things we have to organise.

'It is like this whole thing is taking great pleasure in kicking me in the nuts. Every time I spend a load of money, there is no payback.
We had the snooker at the Crucible, half a day before they changed their minds on crowds. The darts, all of a sudden after one day with live crowds - gone.

'These things cost a lot of money just to get the venues ready for the admission of people.

'We have a final meeting on Monday but this is not a two-minute thing and my recommendation will be to stage the Masters behind closed doors.

'Even if we come out of whatever tier we are in now - which they are making up as they go along - I can't see them welcoming crowds back to sport until early January at least.

'But I have to make decisions on Monday about things like tiered seating at Ally Pally, structure, entrance of fans, Covid rules for them…it is actually more efficient to do it behind closed doors.
I can't leave those decisions until early January, I have to make them now as it's a three-week order and build.

'We as an organisation have been burned twice already at the Crucible and now the darts World Championships.

'We don't get any payment from the government, even as a pilot scheme - I'm not moaning about that, just stating a fact.

'If it's going to be a choice between a maybe and a definite, I'm better off opting for the safe option so I'm pretty sure there won't be crowds.

'We had sold a number of tickets, and this thing runs into a lot of money overall. We lost £2.5million at the Crucible, maybe £4m at the darts, and the Masters £750,000.

'The only overriding thing that is good still is that although we come behind that great sport of break-dancing in the Olympics, we are recognised as an elite sport here.

'That has just been confirmed by Oliver Dowden, the Secretary of State, and we can continue to put on professional tournaments behind closed doors.

'How quickly we return to any kind of normality with the crowds I don't know, but I am thinking the Crucible for the World Championships next April.'

MASTERS SNOOKER 2021 - BARRY HEARN ADMITS EVENT WON'T HAVE SNOOKER FANS DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS :​

The Masters snooker to be held behind-closed doors in January :​

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/wst-no-fans-at-the-masters/187686

Masters: Snooker's biggest invitational event to be played behind closed doors :​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/55402205

Emperor Barry Hearn must be pulling what hair he has left on his head out but he's finding out just like every business person here in the UK hospitality sector , it doesn't matter how much money you spend on UK Government's advice to meet the latest health and safety measures PM Boris 'Bonkers' Johnson and his team of nutty scientists change the guidelines the very next day .​

I knew Emperor Barry Hearn would be good for Snooker but I didn't like his attitude to the players but it's his gig now . If Emperor Barry Hearn formed a Political Party I'd vote for him now .as I'm fed up listening to all the UK Party Leaders singing from the same songsheet , there is no real Opposition Party .

Just my opinion .

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

PDC chairman Barry Hearn awarded OBE :​

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2020/12/30/pdc-chairman-barry-hearn-awarded-obe

Professional Darts Corporation chairman Barry Hearn has been awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours list, recognising his services to sport across over 40 years.

Top sports promoter Hearn, 72, has played a key role in the PDC's development since taking over as chairman in 2001, with top-level darts enjoying a global boom since.

During his time in the sport, Hearn has helped to boost prize money to record levels and introduce a worldwide circuit which is headlined by the William Hill World Darts Championship - currently taking place at London's Alexandra Palace and featuring a 96-player field.

Hearn has also overseen the introduction of the PDC ProTour and Qualifying School/Tour Card system, enabling any darts player to achieve the dream of rising to the top of the sport, and the creation of the second-tier Challenge and Development Tours.

Global television coverage of PDC events includes live broadcasts in over 130 countries and audience figures to rival other mainstream sports, while the creation of the World Series of Darts circuit in 2013 has helped to support the work of affiliated organisations across the world in producing new stars.

A world record 20,210 fans watched the 2018 German Darts Masters in Gelsenkirchen, while the annual Premier League visits the biggest arenas in the UK and Ireland as well as venturing to the Netherlands and Germany, encapsulating darts’ status as one of the world’s most popular sports.

Barry Hearn (Lawrence Lustig, PDC)

Originally a chartered accountant, Hearn had initially begun working in sport as the manager of Steve Davis in the late 1970s, before forming Matchroom Sport in 1982.

The management company worked with four World Snooker Champions during the 1990s and the company's evolution also saw them move into promoting top class boxing events at venues such as White Hart Lane, Old Trafford and Wembley Stadium.

The Matchroom Sport portfolio of events also includes golf's PGA EuroProTour and high-profile events in pool, tenpin bowling, fishing, netball, basketball and gymnastics.

A former owner of Leyton Orient football club who remains club president, Hearn also played a role in the rise in popularity of televised poker events.

Hearn also created the Matchroom Sport Charitable Foundation in 2016, which supports various charities, foundations and hospices across the UK.

Barry Hearn OBE said: "I'm incredibly proud to have been awarded an OBE. It has been a great joy to be involved in such a wide range of sports for over 40 years, and to be recognised for that work is an honour.

"I've been lucky enough to work with some of the greatest players ever to play in their sport from Steve Davis to Phil Taylor to Chris Eubank, and I've got so many wonderful memories.

"Alongside those elite players though, I've always tried to create pathways and opportunities for people to reach the very top of their chosen sport and change their life in the process.

"This award is also a recognition for the hard-working, creative and dedicated staff I work with at Matchroom Sport and in our chosen sports, who share my vision and help to bring our events to reality.

"A passion for sport has been a mantra for us all at Matchroom, and I'm so fortunate to have enjoyed such a wonderful time across the last four decades."

Barry Hearn’s son Eddie is now the Group Managing Director of Matchroom Sport, as well as a director of the PDC, while daughter Katie is Director of Programming overseeing the company’s television production arm.

Further information about Matchroom Sport can be found at matchroom.com, while further information about the Matchroom Sport Charitable Foundation can be found at matchroomsport.foundation.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emperor Barry Hearn O.B.E.

What would we have done during this lockdown if it wasn't for Emperor Barry Hearn O.B.E. supplying us with sport ?

Still paying out the prize money to the players and trying his best to get the fans back and to think I didn't like him at first ! :ROFLMAO:

If anybody deserved a gong it's him ! ;):cool:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.championofchampionssnook...k_UUppEKupYpU9Vch7g-4ToUwkkR9e_GB4Kq6DGuontPE :

Matchroom, WST And ITV Agree New Two-Year Deal For Broadcast Of Four Events​

ITV-Matchroom-300x169.jpg
ITV will continue to televise the Champion of Champions for at least the next two years following a momentous new agreement.
The deal will see the Champion of Champions, as well as the World Grand Prix, Players Championship and Tour Championship broadcast by ITV until at least 2022.
Snooker fans throughout the UK will be able to watch the sport’s best players battling for huge titles on free-to-air television. ITV has televised snooker events regularly since 2013, and this new agreement strengthens the relationship and reflects the popularity of the sport on the channel.
The Champion of Champions has been running since 2013 and is promoted by Matchroom Multi Sport. The event brings together winners of tournaments over the previous 12 months to compete for one of the sport’s most prestigious invitation titles. Mark Allen lifted the trophy this season after beating Neil Robertson in the final.
The World Grand Prix features only the top 32 players on the one-year ranking list and was won by Judd Trump last month. Only the top 16 go through to the Players Championship in February and then only the elite top eight qualify for the Tour Championship in March.
WST Chairman Barry Hearn said: “We are thrilled to extend our agreement with ITV for another two years. They have been fantastic supporters of snooker in recent times and they are a great team to work with. The quality of their coverage is superb and that is reflected in the outstanding viewing figures we consistently see for all four of the top-class events they broadcast each season.
“Our many millions of fans in the UK will be delighted by this news because they are guaranteed snooker of the highest quality featuring all of the top stars, with extensive live action on a free-to-air channel. Snooker and ITV are the perfect partners and we look forward to the next two years and beyond.”
Niall Sloane, ITV Director of Sport, said: “We’re delighted to maintain our partnership with Matchroom with this deal, which means viewers will continue to enjoy live, comprehensive free to air coverage of some of the biggest events in snooker for the coming years.”

The best news I've heard for a long time .

Emperor Barry Hearn O.B.E. keeps us sports fans happy in these grim times .

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

World Championship achieves huge global viewing figures :​

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2021/01/21/world-championship-achieves-huge-global-viewing-figures :
The 2020/21 William Hill World Darts Championship enjoyed record-breaking viewing figures around the globe.
This year's World Darts Championship saw Gerwyn Price claim the Sid Waddell Trophy during a unique event which saw crowds only admitted for the opening night before the remainder was staged behind closed doors.
That, though, failed to stop the drama with a host of sensational matches, sudden-death legs and outstanding performances during the tournament.
UK coverage on Sky Sports was broadcast through the dedicated Sky Sports Darts channel across the 16 days, with their bumper viewing figures including a 1.25 million peak and an average of one million viewers for the final.
The sport's continued growth in popularity across Germany saw incredible record figures seen by Sport1 for sessions involving Max Hopp, Nico Kurz and Gabriel Clemens.
Sport1 recorded strong viewing figures for Hopp and Kurz' first round wins, before Hopp's second round tie with King saw those numbers surpassed in the all-German tie between Kurz and Clemens for a record peak of almost 1 million fans.
Clemens' third round win over Peter Wright then saw that peak jump to 1.2 million, before the German's dramatic fourth round tie with Krzysztof Ratajski drew a new record peak of 2.2 million viewers and an average of 1.2 million!
DAZN streamed over 7 million hours in Germany alone - around 40% up on last year's event - as part of their global coverage which also included USA, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Spain Italy, Austria and Switzerland.
Dutch broadcaster RTL7 enjoyed strong figures, which peaked as Michael van Gerwen was defeated by a brilliant Dave Chisnall display on New Year's Day, while half a million people in Belgium watched Dimitri Van den Bergh's fourth tie with Chisnall on VTM.
Global coverage also included live broadcasts on Fox Sports in Australia and through Sky Sport in New Zealand, while coverage across the Nordic & Baltic region included live broadcasts for the first time across Iceland through Syn FH.
"It was a wonderful event and a great statement of how a sport like darts can help the mental health of the country and of the world by giving them sporting entertainment at a time when we all needed a little lift," said PDC chairman Barry Hearn.
"It was just so viewable, and it came at a time when the country and the world probably needed a bit of darts!
"We needed some return to normality over Christmas, and the darts gave us that because it was always there for us, 120 hours of live broadcasts going to 130 countries around the world.
"We had great drama, great storylines, great emerging talents, great failure, great celebrations, the tears of defeat.
"Of course we missed the crowds and we look forward to welcoming them back as soon as possible, but did it affect the standard of what we actually put across on television? Not at all, and that's a compliment to the players."

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barry Hearn OBE inducted into PDC Hall of Fame :​

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2021/01/25/barry-hearn-obe-inducted-pdc-hall-fame
PDC chairman Barry Hearn OBE has been unveiled as the 17th inductee into the PDC Hall of Fame to recognise his contribution across over two decades in the sport.

Hearn has been chairman of the Professional Darts Corporation since July 2001, and has overseen the most successful period of growth in the sport's history since.

A sports promoter who rose to fame in snooker and boxing during the 1980s, Hearn's Matchroom Sport company had initially worked with the PDC handling international TV sales during the organisation's early days.

Hearn's arrival as chairman in 2001 came as part of a new era for the sport, with the introduction of the UK Open, Las Vegas Desert Classic and Premier League being followed by the development of the ProTour circuit to increase opportunities for professional players.

Prize money has soared to above £10 million per year, and the World Series' introduction alongside affiliated tours worldwide has given the sport a truly global platform.

Hearn joins the likes of PDC founders Dick Allix and Tommy Cox and former stars Phil Taylor, Eric Bristow MBE, John Lowe MBE, Dennis Priestley, Rod Harrington and John Part in the PDC Hall of Fame.

"It's lovely and as I suppose as you get older you treasure these moments even more," said Hearn. "I'm happy to be there with some of those legends who have already been inducted, and it gives you a good feeling.

"We all like a little tap on the back to say well done, and it's very much appreciated by me and the whole Hearn household.

"To stand alongside those other legends is a source of pride, of course, and I think they would agree that it's not the individuals, it's the collective attitude of the PDC, the family, that really believes in what we're doing.

"If I look back on my life, my involvement in the PDC has probably been one of, if not the most successful sides of my promotional sporting life.

"To have the opportunity to take a game ridiculed in some quarters and to make it into this major international global sport, where TV viewing figures are generally only beaten by football, is huge.

"Where we've come from as individuals and as a sport is a testament on what hard work and discipline and sacrifice can do, and there's a message there for everyone.

"We've been on a wonderful journey; the journey is still in progress but we've changed the world of sport through darts. Twenty years ago that journey began, and I think the induction into the PDC Hall of Fame is a pat on the back that we all share."

The Matchroom Sport portfolio of events also includes golf's PGA EuroProTour and high-profile events in pool, tenpin bowling, fishing, netball, basketball and gymnastics, while Hearn is a former owner of Leyton Orient football club.

The Matchroom Sport Charitable Foundation, founded in 2016, supports various charities, foundations and hospices across the UK.

Barry Hearn received an OBE in the 2021 New Year's Honours, recognising his services to sport.

Price honoured with PDC Awards quartet :​

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2021/01/25/price-honoured-pdc-awards-quartet

Meanwhile at the BDO Darts :

Scott Mitchell says British Darts Organisation collapse was 'devastating for players' :​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/55586437

The BDO went banKrupt with players refusing to give back trophies until their prize money is settled in full .

Should've taken Emperor Barry Hearn OBE offer of £1M to buy them out .

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gambling reforms spell ‘disaster’ for UK sports, says Barry Hearn :​

https://insidersport.com/2021/02/02/gambling-reforms-spell-disaster-for-uk-sports-says-barry-hearn/ :

Image: PA Images

ShareTweetGoogleLinkedinMail

Barry Hearn, Founder and Chairman of Matchroom Sport, has become the latest sports figurehead to detail concerns on the government’s approach to reforming the UK’s gambling laws.

Recognised as the UK’s biggest sports promoter for darts, snooker and boxing, Hearn stated that a ban on gambling sponsorship would be a ‘disaster for every layer of sport’, according to a report by The Daily Telegraph.

Hearn responded to media speculation that PM Boris Johnson is likely to pledge his support to a blanket ban on betting sponsorship across UK sports as the likeliest outcome of the gambling review.

Yet, Hearn remarked that he doesn’t believe the government will introduce a ‘blanket ban’, but it ‘may well change the rules about how they promote that gambling service’.

The 72-year-old owned EFL League Two club, Leyton Orient, from 1995 to 2014 and added that the issue of problem gambling should be tackled ‘by legislation, rather than self governance’.

“It’s all very well looking at Premier League football, but there’s lots of sports – and darts and snooker are two of them – when a considerable amount of that money goes down the chain towards grass-roots, which actually saves government money,” Hearn added

“We’ve always looked to broaden our sponsorship, but the demand has been huge from gambling companies for our events.”

Hearn reflected on his struggles reviving darts and snooker from the financial doldrums of the government’s 1995 outright ban of tobacco advertising.

“I”m never worried, because I went through the tobacco situation. Perhaps you have to accept some financial loss, but it’s more important to think what the money does.”

Hearn’s sporting events promotions company, Matchroom, has agreements in place with a handful of gambling firms. Last year, the promotions company renewed its live betting streaming rights with Stats Perform, penning a five-year extension.

Although, it was announced earlier today that the World Snooker Tour (WST), which is chaired by Hearn and broadcast on Matchroom Live, has named online car retailer Cazoo as its new sponsor.

He told SportBusiness that Matchroom was put ‘under pressure’ with regards to the ongoing 2005 Gambling Act review, and conceded that smaller tournaments may suffer from a ban on gambling sports partnerships as it is often difficult to seek out sponsors for competitions such as ‘Webber Cup Ten Pin Bowling’ or ‘The Ping Pong World Championships’.

“We’ve been discussing this for two to three years, everyone seems to be talking about it, whether it’ll be a ban or a tweak,” he said in an interview with the global intelligence service. “There’s going to be some movement.”

“Let’s hope it’s done on a common sense basis because sport generally, not just Matchroom, but many sports actually survive based on gambling sponsorship.”

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barry Hearn – UK sports cannot afford another ‘tobacco scenario’ :​

Screenshot-2021-02-02-at-16.18.56-660x330.jpg

Barry Hearn - Matchroom

Barry Hearn – UK sports cannot afford another ‘tobacco scenario’​

Holly Hunt February 2, 2021 Football, Latest News, Sport, Sportsbook, UK Comments Offon Barry Hearn – UK sports cannot afford another ‘tobacco scenario’

Barry Hearn, Founder and Chairman of Matchroom Sport, has become the latest sports figurehead to detail concerns on the government’s approach to reforming the UK’s gambling laws.
Recognised as the UK’s biggest sports promoter for darts, snooker and boxing, Hearn stated that a ban on gambling sponsorship would be a ‘disaster for every layer of sport’, according to a report by The Daily Telegraph.
Hearn responded to media speculation that PM Boris Johnson is likely to pledge his support to a blanket ban on betting sponsorship across UK sports as the likeliest outcome of the gambling review.
Yet, Hearn remarked that he doesn’t believe the government will introduce a ‘blanket ban’, but it ‘may well change the rules about how they promote that gambling service’.
The 72-year-old owned EFL League Two club, Leyton Orient, from 1995 to 2014 and added that the issue of problem gambling should be tackled ‘by legislation, rather than self governance’.
“It’s all very well looking at Premier League football, but there’s lots of sports – and darts and snooker are two of them – when a considerable amount of that money goes down the chain towards grass-roots, which actually saves government money,” Hearn added
“We’ve always looked to broaden our sponsorship, but the demand has been huge from gambling companies for our events.”
Hearn reflected on his struggles reviving darts and snooker from the financial doldrums of the government’s 1995 outright ban of tobacco advertising.
“I”m never worried, because I went through the tobacco situation. Perhaps you have to accept some financial loss, but it’s more important to think what the money does.”
Hearn’s sporting events promotions company, Matchroom, has agreements in place with a handful of gambling firms. Last year, the promotions company renewed its live betting streaming rights with Stats Perform, penning a five-year extension.
Although, it was announced earlier today that the World Snooker Tour (WST), which is chaired by Hearn and broadcast on Matchroom Live, has named online car retailer Cazoo as its new sponsor.
He told SportBusiness that Matchroom was put ‘under pressure’ with regards to the ongoing 2005 Gambling Act review, and conceded that smaller tournaments may suffer from a ban on gambling sports partnerships as it is often difficult to seek out sponsors for competitions such as ‘Webber Cup Ten Pin Bowling’ or ‘The Ping Pong World Championships’.
“We’ve been discussing this for two to three years, everyone seems to be talking about it, whether it’ll be a ban or a tweak,” he said in an interview with the global intelligence service. “There’s going to be some movement.
“Let’s hope it’s done on a common sense basis because sport generally, not just Matchroom, but many sports actually survive based on gambling sponsorship.”

Car Retailer Cazoo to Sponsor Snooker Series :​

https://snookerhq.com/2021/02/02/car-retailer-cazoo-sponsor-snooker-series/

CAZOO LAUNCHES PARTNERSHIP WITH WORLD SNOOKER TOUR :​

https://wst.tv/cazoo-launches-partnership-with-world-snooker-tour/

You must've seen that one coming from the day the UK Government set fixed odds terminal limits on UK Bookmaker shops and you can only imagine Bookmakers will be phased out from sponsership deals like they did with Tobacco companies but who knows when it's PM Boris 'Bonkers' Johnson who's in charge !

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Barry Hearn believes snooker's World Championship will be pilot event again, with fans allowed at Crucible :​

https://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/barry-hearn-calls-for-crucible-crowds/189548

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn believes there's a "good chance" of the World Championship again being used as a pilot event for the return of fans to sport, with 50 per cent of the capacity allowed in at the Crucible.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced this week that crowds will only return to sporting events on May 17, which is two weeks after the World Championship is due to end.
But Hearn remains bullish, insisting a repeat of last summer - when the 2020 tournament was used as a pilot event - is very possible.
"I think we've got a good chance of having some sort of limited crowd in there," Hearn exclusively told Sporting Life.
"I spoke to DCMS (the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) this morning and we are on the list, they are pushing, and hopefully within the next week or 10 days I reasonably, optimistically expect that we'll get the go ahead as a pilot event.
"I think there's every chance of maybe a 50 per cent crowd occupancy for Sheffield. If I can get 50 per cent, I'll probably bite their hand off."
Under a pilot scheme, fans were allowed in to watch three days of the World Championship last summer, including the two days of the final.
Since then, every event this season has been held behind closed doors, the vast majority of them at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes.
Judd Trump against Ronnie O'Sullivan in the Northern Ireland Open final

Judd Trump in action against Ronnie O'Sullivan in Milton Keynes
Hearn has hailed the way snooker has dealt with life during the coronavirus pandemic, saying it leads the way in sport and will help as he pushes for crowds to be permitted in Sheffield.
"We've got an exemplary record on Covid policy, and have proved it across hundreds and hundreds of days of events," he said.
"Our event output is actually bigger than it was pre-Covid. We've not asked the government for any money, which is always a plus. We've self-funded everything, and we've not reduced our prize money.
"And we've done a bloody good job. I mean quite honestly, our Covid policy is more stringent than any other sport out there, including Premier League football.
"We've got a good relationship with public health authorities and DCMS, so it would be surprising for them to say no, but who knows?
"There's two things. If we listen to Boris and actually believe him, which I'm not sure we all do, it looks like we'll be back to normal by June 22nd. If it's really back to normal, then everything else is just a short-term problem isn't it?
"The other thing is, there's always this feeling with Boris that he changes his mind. I think he's going to be under a lot of pressure from some of his colleagues on the Conservative back benches that I know, that are saying he's moving too slowly.
"If the data comes in and the figures are really declining, which they frankly should do with all these vaccinations, you never know, he might bring forward a few dates."
Barry Hearn is delighted to have been acknowledged in the New Year's honours
Barry Hearn spoke to Nick Metcalfe in December - CLICK HERE to read the interview
Hearn, who told Sporting Life in December that the tournament would be held in its original spring slot, again confirmed that would definitely be the case, with any suggestions of a move "not even a starter".
He said: "Just tell me where I can get 17 days broadcast coverage without a problem. The only reason I moved it last year was because I was fortunate that the Olympics was cancelled, which freed up just about 17 days.
"This year, with everything from European Championship football to Wimbledon, then the Olympics, there is no window of opportunity to move significantly. I certainly wouldn't get 17 days. So it's not even a starter."
As for next season, Hearn believes a return to normality is on the cards for tournaments in the UK, but thinks we may have to wait until 2022 for any events to take place in China.
"It's back to normal as soon as we get past the World Championship," he added. "Our financial year ends on the 30th June, and I've sort of written off everything until then. The World Championship would be a plus. I don't know what it's cost me so far, about £15 million quid in ticket money. But you know what, I never had it before, so I didn't miss it.
"From the 1st of July, my vision is that we are back to normal and living with the virus on the back of vaccinations, and just saying it is what it is and we carry on from there.
"The doubt is China. At the moment it's 14 days of quarantine going into China, and that just can't happen. They don't have any exemptions. They are talking positively, but I still think China may be challenging for the rest of 2021."