Good break cues

Cajun Kid

Up yours with the spot
Silver Member
Who ya'll thinks makes the best break cues? I here Samsara makes a good ball buster? Any opinions

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently picked up a pete ohman jump break and it is really nice.... very solid.... i think joe AKA... bamacues has one for sale..... or at least he did.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J & J for the money does the JOB... Andy Gilbert makes great JUMP BREAKERS!

What he said. i'm a huge fan of the j&j and if you're willing to pay it nobody makes a better breaker than andy gilbert.

i'd also recommend arnot or jw petree for custom breakers

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i recently picked up a pete ohman jump break and it is really nice.... very solid.... i think joe AKA... bamacues has one for sale..... or at least he did.

I concur with this as my sig staes I have a Omen J/B as well and it is a beast to break with :)

Solid flat-faced joint with a 3/8-11 pin and longer jump cue handle section to allow for longer and shorter distance jump shots :)

Try sending a PM to Si D'Vali (thediamond) as I think he's got one for sale with an ebondy grip handle, a real mighty fine basher indeed :)

The 2nd option would be a J&J with a White Diamond tip on it :thumbup:

Willie

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> The best break cue I've ever put in my hands was,as strange as this seems,a Russ Espiritu ultra-plain SP. The joint was a 1" plain brown phenolic collar machined the same way a steel collar is,with a VERY snug pilot on both shafts,the shafts had no collar,just a brass insert.

The shafts both felt like the mid-80's Meucci taper,with a large diameter (13 1/4) but very long straight section. It had no butt cap,and the taper on the butt was pretty stout for the first 12-13",and much straighter towards the back. The butt was just sanded nice with an oil finish,and felt a LOT like a really thin Meucci SP. The ferrules were an early Aegis variant.

Not only did this cue play really nice,but I squatted the ball more with that cue than any cue I've tried since.

Unfortunately,this cue was broken in a bar fight I had nothing to do with,before I found out it was for sale.

Until proven otherwise,I feel a dedicated break cue is the solution for me,and the same goes for my jump cue. I haven't found a cue yet that was truly great at BOTH.

You can get a total plain-jane Joss for 160 shipped from some online places,and you simply can't hurt those unless you're truly trying to break it. Tommy D.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried several break cues, including many mentioned here. Here's what I think:

Pete Omen: Fantastic cue. Looks nice, breaks great, very good jump cue as well. I like the phenolic tip on the standard ferrule (for looks). I also have a 2nd shaft for it with a hard water buffalo tip on it. This is also a very nice break setup. Also, Pete was a pleasure to deal with, and stood behind his product.

Predator BK2: My current "main" break cue. I'm not too crazy about the production looks, but the performance is truly excellent. I can't really find any fault with this cue. Remarkable control for a phenolic tip, *tremendous* power, excellent balance for breaking.

Samsara: I have not actually tried their break cue, but I have had two other Samsara cues that played great. They make a fine quality product, and also stand behind their stuff. I have sort of a souped up "bar cue". It isn't a "bar cue", but kinda looks like one. Wrapless, cocobolo with nice figured maple handle, signature Samsara diamond rings. This was my main player until I replaced it recently with my new Andy Gilbert. Lately I have been breaking with it. I use the shaft that came with it, with a triangle tip of all things. It is an *awesome* break cue!! Very solid hitting, excellent cueball control...a real pleasure to break with. Another interesting setup is when I take my BK2 shaft and put it on this butt (both have uni-loc joints). The power I get out of that setup is ridiculous. Honestly almost too much. I've been using the standard shaft with the soft (by break cue standards) triangle tip to try and take some power *out* of my break.

Andy Gilbert: I can't say I have been able to resist hitting a few breaks with my new Gilbert playing cue. It is not a jump/break, just a regular cue. This thing hits the rack so well I have already decided that my next break cue will be a Gilbert. His quality is top notch, he was one of the most pleasant people to deal with from a business standpoint, and I just love the way his cues look. The solidness of hit and the way you can *feel* the cueball makes this my new first choice for a break cue. I think if the budget allows ($350 ish, maybe a bit more if he builds you one...not too sure), I would HIGHLY recommend this. By the way I have tried out a few of his jump/breaks and they are *fantastic*

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried several break cues, including many mentioned here. Here's what I think:

Pete Omen: Fantastic cue. Looks nice, breaks great, very good jump cue as well. I like the phenolic tip on the standard ferrule (for looks). I also have a 2nd shaft for it with a hard water buffalo tip on it. This is also a very nice break setup. Also, Pete was a pleasure to deal with, and stood behind his product.

Predator BK2: My current "main" break cue. I'm not too crazy about the production looks, but the performance is truly excellent. I can't really find any fault with this cue. Remarkable control for a phenolic tip, *tremendous* power, excellent balance for breaking.

Samsara: I have not actually tried their break cue, but I have had two other Samsara cues that played great. They make a fine quality product, and also stand behind their stuff. I have sort of a souped up "bar cue". It isn't a "bar cue", but kinda looks like one. Wrapless, cocobolo with nice figured maple handle, signature Samsara diamond rings. This was my main player until I replaced it recently with my new Andy Gilbert. Lately I have been breaking with it. I use the shaft that came with it, with a triangle tip of all things. It is an *awesome* break cue!! Very solid hitting, excellent cueball control...a real pleasure to break with. Another interesting setup is when I take my BK2 shaft and put it on this butt (both have uni-loc joints). The power I get out of that setup is ridiculous. Honestly almost too much. I've been using the standard shaft with the soft (by break cue standards) triangle tip to try and take some power *out* of my break.

Andy Gilbert: I can't say I have been able to resist hitting a few breaks with my new Gilbert playing cue. It is not a jump/break, just a regular cue. This thing hits the rack so well I have already decided that my next break cue will be a Gilbert. His quality is top notch, he was one of the most pleasant people to deal with from a business standpoint, and I just love the way his cues look. The solidness of hit and the way you can *feel* the cueball makes this my new first choice for a break cue. I think if the budget allows ($350 ish, maybe a bit more if he builds you one...not too sure), I would HIGHLY recommend this. By the way I have tried out a few of his jump/breaks and they are *fantastic*

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

last time i ordered one (about a year ago) he charges 400 . i've got one of his j/b's and i love it. i've had 4 of 'em over the years and they all break and jump great. 2 of them played lights out. i actually use my gilbert j/b at the local bar tournament i go to on weekends.

if there was only 1 cue in the world that i could hold onto it'd probably be the gilbert j/b that i have now.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use BK2 and do not care so much about the looks...looks never brought you any more pocketed balls on the break so I do not care....but the cue itself does pack a powerful bunch...

however if you are looking for best bang for the buck....I had once J&J jumpbreak....a friend of mine put a phenolic shaped ferrule (that acts as a tip at the same time) and that was great....helluva jumper as well...total cost after my mods were just over 100$...6-7 years ago...

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use BK2 and do not care so much about the looks...looks never brought you any more pocketed balls on the break so I do not care....but the cue itself does pack a powerful bunch...

however if you are looking for best bang for the buck....I had once J&J jumpbreak....a friend of mine put a phenolic shaped ferrule (that acts as a tip at the same time) and that was great....helluva jumper as well...total cost after my mods were just over 100$...6-7 years ago...

i always thought those BK2's spun the balls too much. never seemed to be able to hit the rack hard enough without spinning the cb too much