BCA organization

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does the BCA do? I thought they were the governing body over pool why are they not doing the job? How did we let them get to this point? I think that we need a governing body that all pro tournaments fall under and follow those rules and race sizes we need to have some structure like other sports no matter what game we play even bonus ball.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
IN a failed effort to come up with a good post on this topic, I have decided to pull up the Lazyboy Recliner and eat some popcorn whilst this thread explodes :)

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
If I was closer to Atlanta, I'd bet I know where the fresh popcorn is...

To the op I agree somebody should be doing something. I'm an APA player but looking to go to the BCA next season. Im interested in learning more about the BCA before I make the jump...

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does the BCA do? I thought they were the governing body over pool why are they not doing the job? How did we let them get to this point? I think that we need a governing body that all pro tournaments fall under and follow those rules and race sizes we need to have some structure like other sports no matter what game we play even bonus ball.

Ok.....so how do you go about doing that?

Example: BCA says "we are governing body and tournaments will fall under our guidlines."

Random tournament director/owner says "NO"

Now what?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To the op I agree somebody should be doing something. I'm an APA player but looking to go to the BCA next season. Im interested in learning more about the BCA before I make the jump...

I dont think that the BCA and the BCAPL are the same. they use to be the same but the league part was bought by Mark Griffin some time ago.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Example: BCA says "we are governing body and tournaments will fall under our guidlines."

Now what?

Yeah I know its not straight forward to have them say we are the boss we will need have alot of the tournament directors on board with this for it to even start to work but if all the top tournaments were under this organization then the players could join and agree to only play in tournaments that are sanctioned by the BCA or face not being allowed to play in them in the future and tournaments that do not want to sanction with them wouldnt have those players play in their tournament. The players wanted the ABP but it cant be player or tournament director run. This would be the best of both worlds. If only I had a magic wand and millions of dollars.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Just what is it that "they" are not doing?

randyg

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way something like this happens is an organization starts such as NFL, MLB, NBA, UFC, etc. They promote games/shows/tournaments of their own. When they become successful enough all the top players want to be in their organization.

Basically for this to happen its somewhat like a monopoly on the sport/game.

Problem for pool is it doesn't draw spectators. All the above mentioned organizations flourished because of fans spending money.

So before you can even start contemplating a dominant organization....you need to figure out a way to make pool a spectator sport.(not happening)

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just what is it that "they" are not doing?

randyg

Well Im not really sure what they arent doing or really sure what they are doing but the pool world in North America is in bad place. maybe they cant or wont do anything. We have to start somewhere to change things for the better. If the players and directors were on board for more organization it could work. To compare to golf the PGA isnt the governing body they follow the USGA and RCGA for rules.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

APA and BCA do not do the same thing. BCA does have leagues, but the orgnaization is not the same. I really like the USAPL league system, the scoring is a lot more realistic than the APA, handicaps go up to 125 so there is a lot better matchups, and a win actually counts as a win instead of pocking a ball worth a tiny bit more than the rest.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now what?

BCA points are used for Mosconi cup rankings, not sure what else. This can also happen in ANY sport or activity. You can't stop anyone from doing what they want, if they don't care about the consequences. In this case there not be any consequences that matter, without actively banning players from playing in BCA ranked events or something, so they lose the Mosconi Cup chance.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA points are used for Mosconi cup rankings, not sure what else. This can also happen in ANY sport or activity. You can't stop anyone from doing what they want, if they don't care about the consequences. In this case there not be any consequences that matter, without actively banning players from playing in BCA ranked events or something, so they lose the Mosconi Cup chance.

Mosconi Cup is no longer based on BCA points.

Also, my point was that there is currently no way for BCA to control anything that happens in pool. They would have to start putting on their own events and would have to have enough events players could make a living ONLY playing in their events to have the ability to start regulating a sport.

Regulation of a sport/game comes in two ways:

1: Legally, such as state athletic commissions.

2: Monopoly(ish), such as MLB, NBA, NFL

Neither of these will be happening in pool anytime soon.

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Oh don't be fooled I have Ribs and Brisket fresh off the smoker too :) Even have a pool table here near the recliner :)

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Also, my point was that there is currently no way for BCA to control anything that happens in pool. They would have to start putting on their own events and would have to have enough events players could make a living ONLY playing in their events to have the ability to start regulating a sport.

I agree with most of this response. I would add since i'm out of popcorn right now that the Players have to be willing to let a business/organization mange their tours to make a profit and I don't see that happening any time soon. Segue for Bonus Ball comments..........

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL arent the governing bodies in their sports they are just professional leagues. in Canada we have baseball Canada, Canada basketball, football Canada and hockey Canada Im sure the States have their own organizations.

The BCA would need the top tournament directors to be on board and have their tournaments sanctioned.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL arent the governing bodies in their sports they are just professional leagues. in Canada we have baseball Canada, Canada basketball, football Canada and hockey Canada Im sure the States have their own organizations.

The BCA would need the top tournament directors to be on board and have their tournaments sanctioned.

LOL.....now you're just trying to be technical. Those leagues are the dominant forces in their respective sports. Everyone in the world who plays those sports wants to be in those leagues.

Most rules that anyone playing those sports are based on the rules used by those leagues.

While they may not be "official" governing bodies, for all intents and purproses they are the dominant force in their respective sport.

The BCA will never be able to just "get tournament directors on board" and get them to agree to let the BCA regulate them. There isn't any incentive for directors to do this, otherwise it would already be done.

If the BCA or any other organization wants to "regulate" pool, they will have to form their own tournament circuit, promote it, and be successful enough at it where they can leverage players to play in their league under contract. This is how it works everywhere.

The "bonus ball" league is currently in the early stages of attempting this, how successful they will be is a debate for another thread, but they are attempting to start something like this.

Last edited:

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA Trade Organization

It may be better stated as to what should the BCA do?

IMHO, I believe the organization that is currently called the BCA in Colorado, should change their name. Because they represent the manufacturers, and other industry members, it is in their best interest to create a better identity for their purpose. It is always confusing for people to use BCA and BCAPL and not be able to distinguish the difference between the two.

To the integral question of exactly who is the governing body of pool in the United States, there isn't one.

There isn't really a need for one right now.

It would be like the other proclaimed governing bodies of the past 20 years, existing for organizations to collect sanctioning fees for pro tournaments, without really doing anything for the money. Presenting the next get rich quick scheme for pro players who can't see the ponzi schemes for what they are. Establishing rules for events, and then altering the rules to suit one person or the next. Or the worst reason of them all, Olympic Recognition!

Unfortunately, pool is a very territorial entity. Each organization covets their hard earned membership and isn't sympathetic to an outside entity wanting to "govern" them. In order to establish a distinct ruling body, every organization would have to voluntarily agree to allow this, and be willing to support it financially. The question will be,"What do I get for my money?"

As it always has been.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carl...You simply MUST stop posting logical statements! How will Petroboy be able to come to any 'logical' conclusions with the facts that you have stated? Please quit trying to confuse people with pesky facts! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It may be better stated as to what should the BCA do?

IMHO, I believe the organization that is currently called the BCA in Colorado, should change their name. Because they represent the manufacturers, and other industry members, it is in their best interest to create a better identity for their purpose. It is always confusing for people to use BCA and BCAPL and not be able to distinguish the difference between the two.

To the integral question of exactly who is the governing body of pool in the United States, there isn't one.

There isn't really a need for one right now.

It would be like the other proclaimed governing bodies of the past 20 years, existing for organizations to collect sanctioning fees for pro tournaments, without really doing anything for the money. Presenting the next get rich quick scheme for pro players who can't see the ponzi schemes for what they are. Establishing rules for events, and then altering the rules to suit one person or the next. Or the worst reason of them all, Olympic Recognition!

Unfortunately, pool is a very territorial entity. Each organization covets their hard earned membership and isn't sympathetic to an outside entity wanting to "govern" them. In order to establish a distinct ruling body, every organization would have to voluntarily agree to allow this, and be willing to support it financially. The question will be,"What do I get for my money?"

As it always has been.