What's worse?

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
I was showing a co-worker this website. I have a custom cue being made for me. A really simple 6 point cue. The first photos I got, and I'm over the moon for it. It was at this point the co-worker (plays pool just occasionally) wanted to see the cues for sale. He started gawking at the prices of some of the cues and the fact that many people own a crazy amount of the (typical out of the billiard world comment). follow by an even better comment of, are all these guys pros (I said, are all Ferrari owners race car drivers?) but...

then he asked me this question.... Which is worse to you

Get absolutely dismantled by a player using a budweiser walmart sticker cue on National TV while you're holding your "Best" cue

Or

Seeing a guy walk around a pool hall who can't put together two balls walking around with a bunch of beautiful customs?

Now I completely understand it's just one of those questions that people outside of pool ask, since they really can't see the beauty or the "why" in either scenario.

But knowing the strong opinions on this forum, I'd love to see what people say about this. :angry: :thumbup:

plus I'm really really really bored at work.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was showing a co-worker this website. I have a custom cue being made for me. A really simple 6 point cue. The first photos I got, and I'm over the moon for it. It was at this point the co-worker (plays pool just occasionally) wanted to see the cues for sale. He started gawking at the prices of some of the cues and the fact that many people own a crazy amount of the (typical out of the billiard world comment). follow by an even better comment of, are all these guys pros (I said, are all Ferrari owners race car drivers?) but...

then he asked me this question.... Which is worse to you

Get absolutely dismantled by a player using a budweiser walmart sticker cue on National TV while you're holding your "Best" cue

Or

Seeing a guy walk around a pool hall who can't put together two balls walking around with a bunch of beautiful customs?

Now I completely understand it's just one of those questions that people outside of pool ask, since they really can't see the beauty or the "why" in either scenario.

But knowing the strong opinions on this forum, I'd love to see what people say about this. :angry: :thumbup:

plus I'm really really really bored at work.

Neither would bother me. I've been beat with a broomstick so I would think a Walmart cue would be a step up.

I've seen many people that don't play great that have some beautiful cues. To me it just means they like nice stuff, can afford it and like if not love the game. I'm terrible and if I could afford it I would be buying up some beautiful stuff. :)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If they have qualified for a stage in the tournament to play on national tv they probably play very well, Budweiser cue or not. And since I don't play well enough to reach such a stage, it's not a scenario that would arise.

As for a beginner using a high priced custom cue, it would only bother me I suppose if it was being abused. Otherwise, I hope they are enjoying their purchase. Either way, not my cue, not my money, no concern of mine really.

But lets assume I was able to fumble my way on to TV and lose horrendously, that would probably be the worst scenario. Nothing to do with the Budweiser cue, more to do with being clobbered in front of a large audience in what would be likely my one and only opportunity to play on TV.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

in a perfect world, everyone playing every sport, would have the level of equipment that exactly matches their game....but it doesn't work that way, never has, never will......

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It wouldn't bother me either way. I got beat the other day by a $5,000 Richard Black, and a couple of weeks before that I had my clock cleaned by a guy with a house cue.
My $700 Shon really didn't care how any of it turned out. I put it down on the table and it just laid there, the cheeky bastard. :)

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
A tv audience would just think the other player is sponsored by Bud, so you're fine.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Back in the mid 80's when I had just started running my first poolroom, a guy walked in early afternoon and we started chatting about pool. He had an extensive knowledge of the history of the game and billiards. He said his favorite game was straight pool and asked if I'd like to play a game or two with him.

He went to his car and brought in a custom Fellini case. Out of it, he pulled a Buska and my jaw dropped.

We racked 'em up and I beat him 50 to 0 the first game in a few innings. Next game, I beat him 50 to 2 as I missed a couple of shots just to see if he could play. To this day, he had one of the most flawless strokes and fundamentals I've ever seen. Problem was he couldn't run 3 balls.

He became a regular and over the next few months, he would bring in different cues from his collection of Buskas, Zambotis, Joss West, ets. - all high end cues. He finally told me his high run in 14.1 was 16 balls.

On the other end of the spectrum, a few years later, we were hosting a regional class tour event over a weekend. A few days before the event started, a guy walks in and signs up for the tourney and starts looking for action. He lines up a game with one of our local players. He disappears out the door to his ol' beat up hippie van and a few minutes later, he walks through the door with a 6' piece of PVC pipe capped at both ends. He uncaps it and pulls out a one piece house cue that looks like it'd been used as a fence post. It was covered with dings, gouges and the finish was about gone.

Over the next couple of days, he ended up cleaning the room out.

Just goes to show, looks can be deceiving! LOL

Stones

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lemme see.... I have owned some very nice cars... the girls would never have known what kind of car I had, if I wasn't able to talk to them.

I own a huge home, I like the room.

I have some beautiful cues, a high dollar production cue, a couple Custom Cues & one Orlandi Magic Wand. Couldn't give a S**T what folks think... they have to walk in their shoes & I get to (have to) walk in my shoes.

I've been beat with Budweiser Cues & House Cues, I've won with both kinds of cues. I just try to watch out for the guy with a Szamboti in the car, playing with a house Cue & a rich buddy with him, ready to hang me & my buddies out to dry.

I love this game....

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would laugh at a poor player that paid lots for a custom. Actually, I laugh at people in general that pay lots for a custom thinking it is any better than any other $250 cue and will make them shoot better.

Custom cues serve 2 purposes no matter what the makers or the buyers tell you:
1.) They are purchased to stroke your ego.
2.) They separate fools from their money.

They will not improve your game, they will not hit straighter, they will not aim better, they will not control the cue ball better, nor will they have less deflection then any other shaft available by the major manufacturers. As pointed out above, the stick doesn't care who is using it or what it being used against. It responds the same regardless.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
You don't have to paint like Picasso to own Avignon, or write like Mary Shelley to own the original Frankenstein. You can own and enjoy Balaam and the Ass by Rembrandt without being able to sign your name or enjoy Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe without a lick of literary talent. Walmart or Gina if it's what you like who gives a ____ what others think!

Just my $.02
Joe

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's the Indian not the arrow that makes the shot.

That being said, years ago I made a trip to Paris to see the Mona Lisa. If you ever get lost in the Louvre, there are signs everywhere pointing a way to the Denon wing. Not unlike getting lost in New Jersey, and seeing signs for either the Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway. After waiting in line to see the lady, I bought the obligatory t-shirt. The picture on the T-shirt was larger than the portrait in real life, even though I was still a size small.

I wouldn't be surprised if your co-worker quipped, why visit the Lourve, buy the t-shirt its bigger anyway. If I were you I wouldn't care what your co-worker thinks.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would laugh at a poor player that paid lots for a custom. Actually, I laugh at people in general that pay lots for a custom thinking it is any better than any other $250 cue and will make them shoot better.

They will not improve your game, they will not hit straighter, they will not aim better, they will not control the cue ball better, nor will they have less deflection then any other shaft available by the major manufacturers. As pointed out above, the stick doesn't care who is using it or what it being used against. It responds the same regardless.

true, but I would bet $100 that you have many things in your life, that you paid for the expensive version, rather than the cheaper "practical" version, whether it be your shoes, your car, your stereo, your beer, your flat screen, your stainless steel appliances, something....we all do.....option #3 on your list should be "just because they like it"

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
The truth is out there

A good pool player can play well with a pretty damn straight broom. A nice cue is just a preference thing.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I actually have "Team Budweiser/ K mart" stickers for my $3500 Joss West when I need a game. I also have a little "Made in China" sticker to cover the JW. I remove the stickers and clean my cue about half way through the match to shark my opponent.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I actually have "Team Budweiser/ K mart" stickers for my $3500 Joss West when I need a game. I also have a little "Made in China" sticker to cover the JW. I remove the stickers and clean my cue about half way through the match to shark my opponent.

The Made In China sticker is the best move I have ever heard

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How narrow minded of you.

People buy custom cues for a variety of reasons beyond the two you listed. Maybe they like nice things and appreciate the craftsmanship. Perhaps they like a specific size or balance they have trouble finding from a production cue. Or maybe they want a design that they created. All valid reasons. I have a custom cue on order that will be ready soon. I'm buying it because I appreciate the craftsmanship and style of the cue maker. I don't think it will make me play any better and the people I play with won't be able to tell the difference between it and the ubiquitous Viking around here. Don't care, not why I bought it.

I laugh at people who feel the need to laugh at others without knowing ther reasons for doing what they do. Petty people picking out silly things so they can feel superior in ther own narrow little mind.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, back when I was younger I was also angry or sad or disappoited when somebody was having equipment he could not leverage at all. Especially when I needed to safe money for a long time to just upgrade small things or have faulty things replaced.

Nowadays I'm glad that people are actually appreciating nice things, so it's kind of "I'm ok with mine, he should be ok with his equipment". That way I'm also much more content with the daily challenges to my mood ;)

There is one exception: assholes or people without respect (people, animals, things). They are not entitled to having nice things. But rather than attacking them I will freeze them out hard.

Cheers, be happy instead!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I don't think many folks believe it will make them shoot better. But, some folks do like "nicer" things, and made by craftsman. I mean, folks can buy a plain jane V6 Camaro in grey, or they can get the same V6 but in red with large chrome wheels, hood scoops, tinted windows, rear spoiler, and a few graphics on this side.

Won't make you go any faster, but yet, they still sell them like that all the time. Be a boring world if we all drove around in gray cars, with hubcaps ;)

Correct, Peanut Butter, it generally is #1 which makes people buy custom things.

But, wasn't it #1 which caused you to write this post? You just had to come on here and spread out how creamy good you are, how much better you are than the store brand rest of us who happen to like taking pride in ourselves and our possessions.

FYI, many of the players I've seen who have very nice cues don't brag about them. I played a dude with a Tonkin a few weeks ago, I had no idea other than that it was a beautiful cue.

Just FYI, choosy moms choose Jiff. Those who have given up on life and don't care choose Skippy.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
true, but I would bet $100 that you have many things in your life, that you paid for the expensive version, rather than the cheaper "practical" version, whether it be your shoes, your car, your stereo, your beer, your flat screen, your stainless steel appliances, something....we all do.....option #3 on your list should be "just because they like it"

In many ways you would be absolutely correct. However, all of the things I pay more for I do because their added cost came with added benefits. Benefits like longer expected usefulness, less problems, better support or better performance. Having ivory, pearl, <name of maker> making the cue adds no benefit to the tool or how it is being used.

I should have specified above, but custom cues can be an art and they are purchased by many as such for collections which falls under #1 by default. It is those that purchase them specifically as tools (playing cues) whom fall under my #1 and #2 above together.