Ceiling Fan and LED Light

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Folks,

I am converting an unheated/un-air-conditioned building at my cottage to a pool room. The building has a high peaked roof - I am pulling out the low dropped ceiling and will be raising the beams (have to replace 5 of 8 of them anyway due to various issues).

Since it will be hot in the summer, I was thinking of putting in a ceiling fan. The table will be centered in the room, and the ceiling fan would ideally go right above it. There is sufficient height to have the ceiling fan, then the beams, then the light suspended from the beams (and the fan will be plenty high enough that you'd really have to work at it to hit it with your cue).

I am planning on a 2x4 flat panel LED light, suspended from the beams. My question is whether the breeze from the ceiling fan is likely to cause the LED light to move significantly. Does anyone have a ceiling fan over their table? Over an LED panel?

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Lights above fan = moving shadows when on. Especially directed LED lights. If you can offset them, might reduce impact of the shadows.

-td

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lights above fan = moving shadows when on. Especially directed LED lights. If you can offset them, might reduce impact of the shadows.

-td

My post may not have been clear. The ceiling fan will be ABOVE the light (for precisely the reason you suggest). My question was whether the fan above the light is going to blow the LED panel around enough to cause an issue with a moving light fixture.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see where your concern is with the light being in the path of the air from the fan. But my thought is if it is a problem causing movement of the light then why not simply find a more stable way to install the LED panel. Maybe a box around the LED panel which would add weight but reduce the movement from the breeze or even more solid way of hanging it other than cable wood and pipe may be an option.

Just a few thoughts you may consider hope it helps.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hello Folks,

I am converting an unheated/un-air-conditioned building at my cottage to a pool room. The building has a high peaked roof - I am pulling out the low dropped ceiling and will be raising the beams (have to replace 5 of 8 of them anyway due to various issues).

Since it will be hot in the summer, I was thinking of putting in a ceiling fan. The table will be centered in the room, and the ceiling fan would ideally go right above it. There is sufficient height to have the ceiling fan, then the beams, then the light suspended from the beams (and the fan will be plenty high enough that you'd really have to work at it to hit it with your cue).

I am planning on a 2x4 flat panel LED light, suspended from the beams. My question is whether the breeze from the ceiling fan is likely to cause the LED light to move significantly. Does anyone have a ceiling fan over their table? Over an LED panel?

Have you considered mounting two LED lights (one on each side of the table) flush to the sides of the rafters or beams at an angle pointing at the table, then mounting the ceiling fan in a traditional manner? The LED lights do not need to be hanging over the table to be effective.

Last edited:

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Have you considered mounting two LED lights (one on each side of the table) flush to the sides of the rafters or beams at an angle pointing at the table, then mounting the ceiling fan in a traditional manner? The LED lights do not need to be hanging over the table to be effective.

That's a great idea.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a ceiling fan and a more or less standard, 4 light fixture with cone shades directly under it. If it moves at all, it's not enough to notice let alone find objectionable. The dim reflection of the moving blades on the shades can look like billowing cigar smoke out the corner of my eye, but I haven't noticed even that after the first couple of days.

I doubt you'll have any regret with the installation. I can work up a pretty good sweat even with the a/c cranked full. The ceiling fan helps. LEDs might help as much or more. I feel a slight warmth from the 60 watt bulbs when I lean under for mid table shots.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh... And +1 on the spotlight idea. I considered it briefly but the traditional hanging chain mount was far simpler and cheaper. Track lights will probably look great with your open rafters.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Folks,

Stiffen light maybe various ways subject to field conditions? I suggest you get fan with wireless control so you can turn off and on ,speed option plus reversal for winter time air circulation! Harry master electrician

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am going to explore the option of a more fixed mount. I think for the two panel approach to work I would have to have them one either side of the table angled at say 45 degrees (like they do for the TV tables at major events). But your idea is certainly an interesting one.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a ceiling fan and a more or less standard, 4 light fixture with cone shades directly under it. If it moves at all, it's not enough to notice let alone find objectionable. The dim reflection of the moving blades on the shades can look like billowing cigar smoke out the corner of my eye, but I haven't noticed even that after the first couple of days.

I doubt you'll have any regret with the installation. I can work up a pretty good sweat even with the a/c cranked full. The ceiling fan helps. LEDs might help as much or more. I feel a slight warmth from the 60 watt bulbs when I lean under for mid table shots.

Thanks for the input. The traditional lights are quite a bit heavier and present less of a surface area for the air to catch (hence my concern), but at least you've had no problems with your set up.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stiffen light maybe various ways subject to field conditions? I suggest you get fan with wireless control so you can turn off and on ,speed option plus reversal for winter time air circulation! Harry master electrician

Thanks, Harry. Do you have any suggestions as to stiff or rigid ways to hang the light about 3' down from the beams/rafters?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks, Harry. Do you have any suggestions as to stiff or rigid ways to hang the light about 3' down from the beams/rafters?

I'll get you some info from Don Broos...he's grappling with the framing problem now at
his room.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Harry. Do you ha3/8 bolt rod from rafters any suggestions as to stiff or rigid ways to hang the light about 3' down from the beams/rafters?

I like idea of 2- 2x2 led panel lights 1 each side of table ! then adding a 23inch drum style ceiling fan in center would look great $229 HD in stock fan with remote ?
Other thought 2 fans 1 each side moves a bunch of air then 2x4 led in center ?
field conditions require field decisions sorry no fixed way / the look dictates the support method? wood or metal angles etc.harry
use bolt rod 3/8" or aircraft cable which is preferred method

Last edited:

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Harry. Do you ha3/8 bolt rod from rafters any suggestions as to stiff or rigid ways to hang the light about 3' down from the beams/rafters?

I like idea of 2- 2x2 led panel lights 1 each side of table ! then adding a 23inch drum style ceiling fan in center would look great $229 HD in stock fan with remote ?
Other thought 2 fans 1 each side moves a bunch of air then 2x4 led in center ?
field conditions require field decisions sorry no fixed way / the look dictates the support method? wood or metal angles etc.harry
3/8 bolt rod or use 1/8 inch aircraft cable which is common method

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Have you considered using a floor mounted fan, like a Vornado, rather than a ceiling fan?

This eliminates your problem AND you wouldn't be blowing dusty air down onto your table. When ceiling fan blades get dusty, and then you turn them on, that stuff sprays everywhere.

Just a thought.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should you still want the light under the fan, one option is to suspend it from the sides not directly above, e.g. four thin cables (one with power of course), going up at (say) 10-30 degrees from vertical (along both angles).

Having the cables at an angle like that will keep it from moving at all. Doesn't take much of an angle. Make everything symmetric and I think it would still look nice, especially if the beams are at an angle.