Players that cheat

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
What are some cheating tactics you have seen players use during a match?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Well that all depends on who you are talking to! :eek:

Some people think because the rules address certain situations and label them a "foul" that it is not breaking the rules.

My opinion is this: I feel anything with the INTENT of breaking the rules is cheating. Acknowledgement of breaking a rule and having a consequence does not negate that the rule has been broken and INTENT is everything to me. Many people disagree and I use this analogy for it: "Every man is willing to commit a certain level of larceny".

Everyone has different opinions about what is cheating and what is not. I play by the rules and feel allowing this or allowing that just brings forth more ways people are willing to compromise the rules. Winning with dignity is the only route for me!

Trent from Toledo

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that all depends on who you are talking to! :eek:

Some people think because the rules address certain situations and label them a "foul" that it is not breaking the rules.

My opinion is this: I feel anything with the INTENT of breaking the rules is cheating. Acknowledgement of breaking a rule and having a consequence does not negate that the rule has been broken and INTENT is everything to me. Many people disagree and I use this analogy for it: "Every man is willing to commit a certain level of larceny".

Everyone has different opinions about what is cheating and what is not. I play by the rules and feel allowing this or allowing that just brings forth more ways people are willing to compromise the rules. Winning with dignity is the only route for me!

Trent from Toledo
Are you referring to intentional fouls as cheating???

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
In a close hit situation I've seen players call a bad hit a good hit or the sitting player call a
good hit a bad one. I've seen players kinda "accidentally on purpose" move a ball and
replace it so it's no longer in the way or now it's a better shot. Outside of stuff like that
mainly just petty, but effective sharking moves

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a guy just hook himself behind the edge of a ball. He then proceeded to wipe the cloth in front of the cueball as if there was some sort of imaginary debris. In the process, he swiped the cue ball ever so slightly into the clear.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tapping the cueball with the tip during a warm-up stroke and continuing to shoot has to be one of the most common examples.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tapping the cueball with the tip during a warm-up stroke and continuing to shoot has to be one of the most common examples.

God, I foul the cueball waaayy too regularly.
It most be my vision getting worse or some other symptom of age; I don’t know. It didn’t happen for the first twenty years I played.

I ALWAYS call a foul on myself and I get weird looks sometimes, particularly when my opponent did not see it.

Cheaters suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you ask? Seriously, asking this (not just you) tells me A.You need tips on cheating or B. You must play a bunch of cutt-throat douchebags.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is going to get away with that unless their opponent is simply not paying attention. I think a more common foul often not called is a double hit when the cue ball is not even that close to the object ball - I refer to this as a "yip" stroke. Unless the opponent is paying close attention, often the shooter is the only one who knows it has occurred, and may or may not be honest enough to call the foul on themself.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There aren't that many cheaters, but there are other ways of being inappropriate. The two I see very often are a) not going back to the chair promptly after your turn is over, and b) moving in your opponent's line of sight while they shoot. Each of these affects opponents' concentration and rhythm and, in my view, amounts to sharking, showing disrespect for your opponent.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In a close hit situation I've seen players call a bad hit a good hit or the sitting player call a
good hit a bad one.

As an aside to this, I have also seen players who pretty much know they are going to make a bad hit (because of close proximity to another ball) shoot the cue ball at break speed so no one can tell if it was a good hit or not. The balls that were in the immediate area are now rolling all over the table making the discernment of the hit even more confusing.

Maniac

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy I used to play 8 ball on the big tables when I was growing up. If I was shooting at one end of the table, he'd be at the other end putting 1 or 2 of my balls back on the table.
I might shoot 11, 12 or maybe even 15 solids or stripes per game before it was my turn to shoot at the 8 ball.
I guess that might be called cheating!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There aren't that many cheaters, but there are other ways of being inappropriate. The two I see very often are a) not going back to the chair promptly after your turn is over, and b) moving in your opponent's line of sight while they shoot. Each of these affects opponents' concentration and rhythm and, in my view, amounts to sharking, showing disrespect for your opponent.

Amen, and I know one gentleman who wore glasses. He would return to his chair, and then as you were starting to get ready to shoot. He would adjust his glasses, like they had slipped down on his nose. I called him the subliminal shark. Very distracting, but a clever shark move.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There aren't that many cheaters, but there are other ways of being inappropriate. The two I see very often are a) not going back to the chair promptly after your turn is over

Do you mean like the players that miss a shot then stand at the table chalking their cue For 5 to 10 seconds whilst their opponent is attempting to "walk" the table figuring out his/her next shot?

A prime example of this was during a streamed 1-pocket match between a top-tier Filipino player and one of America's best 1-pocket players. Watching from my laptop, it just pissed me off watching the one player do this time and time again. What's the point of chalking the cue before sitting down anyway?

Maniac

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago, during one of the last matches of a tournament, I watched a well known top player in New England intentionally drop his cue in the line of sight of his opponent, another top player, while his opponent was delivering his final stroke. The opponent missed the shot which was a pretty easy shot. Most of you would know the cheater I am referring to if I told you his name, but I will give him the benefit of a doubt.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know. It's almost a part of the game for many older $5 a game one-pocket players.

You've got guys trying to pay fouls with your balls, take possession of balls made in neutral pockets, move balls from your shelf to his, and all varieties of other moves.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a former #1 (years back)-When his opponent left his couple of balls in the return box after his inning-the #1 guy just grabbed them as his own after his inning and i know he knew as when the guy accused him of stealing some of his balls, he said "All i know is after each of my my innings, i took the balls out of the box and put them in my tray- I didn't touch any other balls." This was during the DCC 1p tourny

Another thing sometimes seen is just putting up an extra game on the wire. I was accused of putting up 2 (TWO) extra games in a tournament once and because i couldn't immediately describe the 6 games i had won, the creepy owner agreed with his homeroom boy. After I "lost" the match I got a piece of paper and pen and eventually remembered the endings of all the games which my opponent did not dispute but wouldn't admit to either. His girlfriend knew he cheated but she just wouldn't speak up of course.

Last edited: