What is the best quality Aramith cue ball to buy?

spindoctor9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two measles balls and two red circles. I can draw two tables with all of them. When I play with the mud ball (fri-sat the bar does not open the tables for me), I can draw just the same. This tells me that they are all roughly the same weight/size. That being said, I do feel they react differently with cut shots and slight cut stun shots. I assume this is related to the balls having different finishes. Obviously the mud ball does not have a nice finish like the Aramiths and I feel it is easier to hold the ball on slight cut shots. I haven't been able to put into words the difference between the red circle and measles ball, but I feel a difference on certain shots. There certainly is a big price difference. I think I like the red circle more, but I find myself using the measles ball more because I like to watch it spin.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer a red circle over all of them

The red circle is a non-standard ball, ballset-bundling-wise. Aramith considers the red circle a "specialty" ball, and has never bundled it with any of their ballsets for that reason -- because it's very different from the object balls themselves. Folks that prefer the red circle are by and large 9-ballers, because it's "easier" to draw their rock.

Sure, you may find some "customized" ballsets that have a red circle thrown-in, but I guarantee that was put together by the mom & pop shop selling it, rather than Aramith themselves.

I'd prefer to use the cue ball that comes with the ballset -- as put together by Aramith themselves. If in doubt, I'll use my Measles ball or Centennial blue-circle cue ball. I prefer to rely on my stroke to draw the ball, not the "specialty" makeup of the ball itself.

-Sean

spindoctor9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The red circle is a non-standard ball, ballset-bundling-wise. Aramith considers the red circle a "specialty" ball, and has never bundled it with any of their ballsets for that reason -- because it's very different from the object balls themselves. Folks that prefer the red circle are by and large 9-ballers, because it's "easier" to draw their rock.

Sure, you may find some "customized" ballsets that have a red circle thrown-in, but I guarantee that was put together by the mom & pop shop selling it, rather than Aramith themselves.

I'd prefer to use the cue ball that comes with the ballset -- as put together by Aramith themselves. If in doubt, I'll use my Measles ball or Centennial blue-circle cue ball. I prefer to rely on my stroke to draw the ball, not the "specialty" makeup of the ball itself.

-Sean

I believe the red circle is included with the Aramith Premium set. I draw about the same with any clean ball I use... though the red circle does seem to play slightly slicker, glancing more on slight angle draw shots (at least to my perception). So yeah, maybe at distance the red circle would require slightly less stroke to draw the ball. If this is the case, the difference is too small too have any affect on my game. Maybe someone with a sh**t draw stroke would feel a bigger difference. I like the way the ball plays. And if it were easier to draw, why would that be a bad thing? The slicker the ball, the higher quality the finish/polish work.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the red circle is included with the Aramith Premium set.

Not true. See here:
http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10
http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=41

The black-logo ball is bundled with the Premium, Premier, and Tournament sets. The red-logo ball is bundled with the Super Aramith Pro set. The Measles ball is bundled with the rest.

I draw about the same with any clean ball I use... though the red circle does seem to play slightly slicker, glancing more on slight angle draw shots (at least to my perception). So yeah, maybe at distance the red circle would require slightly less stroke to draw the ball. If this is the case, the difference is too small too have any affect on my game. Maybe someone with a sh**t draw stroke would feel a bigger difference. I like the way the ball plays. And if it were easier to draw, why would that be a bad thing? The slicker the ball, the higher quality the finish/polish work.

The problem is that you can "get used" to the unique characteristics of a specialty ball like the red circle, and even depend on it (if you carry one around with you and use it in *every* game).

It is a preference thing, though, and as long as one can keep the use of his/her preference consistent, there's no big deal. But once you're in a situation where you're forced to have to use the cue ball that comes with ball sets (e.g. a tourney, and you're not allowed to swap-out the cue ball), a little bit of learning curve and settling-in is induced.

-Sean

Last edited:

spindoctor9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true. See here:
http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10
http://saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=41

The black-logo ball is bundled with the Premium, Premier, and Tournament sets. The red-logo ball is bundled with the Super Aramith Pro set. The Measles ball is bundled with the rest.

The problem is that you can "get used" to the unique characteristics of a specialty ball like the red circle, and even depend on it (if you carry one around with you and use it in *every* game).

It is a preference thing, though, and as long as one can keep the use of his/her preference consistent, there's no big deal. But once you're in a situation where you're forced to have to use the cue ball that comes with ball sets (e.g. a tourney, and you're not allowed to swap-out the cue ball), a little bit of learning curve and settling-in is induced.

-Sean

Thanks for clearing that up. I saw a picture of the premium set on aramith's website and the cue ball was that off white color, so I assumed it was the red circle. I agree with you and am fortunate to play in situations where I'm using many different cue balls, so I can adjust within a few minutes. I honestly like the way the mud balls at my local bar the best... when they're cleaned of course. Never thought I'd say that...

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
The black-logo ball is bundled with the Premium, Premier, and Tournament sets.
the logo on the cue ball in Tournament set is different from other two mentioned. That's the reason I'm asking if Aramith sells it separately. Because I own a set of Tournaments but I decided to replace the original cue ball from the package with measles ball until I see I can get a replacement of the original if it is damaged, scratched or gets worn out. So far it rests waiting its turn...

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The black-logo ball is bundled with the Premium, Premier, and Tournament sets. The red-logo ball is bundled with the Super Aramith Pro set. The Measles ball is bundled with the rest...

-Sean

Sean, the cue ball that comes with the Tournament set is almost assuredly different than the one that comes with the other, lower cost sets. The T's are a matched set so it is doubtful the CB is different in composition from the rest of the set, especially since they are touting it as the most heat resistant and kindest to the bed cloth. So I'm sure it too is made from the Duramith resin. This is their top of the line set. If they were going to include a CB with it that was different, I doubt they would have dipped below the Super Pro resin to any even less expensive CB.

Also, the logo is not really the same. The logo on the Tournament CB is a black logo inside a broken circle.

the logo on the cue ball in Tournament set is different from other two mentioned. That's the reason I'm asking if Aramith sells it separately. Because I own a set of Tournaments but I decided to replace the original cue ball from the package with measles ball until I see I can get a replacement of the original if it is damaged, scratched or gets worn out. So far it rests waiting its turn...

V, I'd imagine you could special order the T cue ball. There has to be a way to order single replacement balls for that set, including the CB. It is very possible they are just not a stocked catalog item because the set is new and there aren't that many out there yet. That's likely the reason the blue circle and red logo super pro CB is readily available - there are so many centennial and super pro sets in the field there is a need in the market for replacement CBs for those sets.

I'd give a few of the retailers a try and see if they can order the Tournament CB for you.

--------

Since they are now promoting the T's more, I'll be curious to see if they come out with a Duramith 6 dot ball to mate specifically to this set. It wouldn't surprise me if Aramith makes Duramith measles at least in small quantities that they provide to marquee televised events. I can't recall if I've seen a 6 dot being used with the Tournament TV set. If it has, I'd love to know if it is a Duramith measles ball provided by Aramith or if the promoter is just throwing a super pro 6 dot in with the duramith set.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mitch & Vahmurka:

Yes, I know that the Tournament set is definitely special, in that it's a different material used (i.e. Duramith instead of the normal resin).

Thus, it goes to show that the cue ball bundled with the Tournament set is also different by definition. I glossed over that fact like wet ice upon wet ice.

But most assuredly, my point was to unquestionably counter the notion that the Red Circle ball was "bundled" with any Aramith set, especially since Aramith themselves consider the Red Circle ball a "specialty" cue ball.

It was mainly a "here, look at these pics on the Aramith website, and what logo or marking do you see on the cue ball in these bundled sets? Definitely not a red circle ball." thing.

Thanks for the clarifications. I think you're right, Mitch, in that it'll be interesting to see if Aramith make a Duramith-resin-based measle ball to match the Tournament set. It would make sense that they would, especially for TV purposes.

-Sean

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Sean, I see your point.
I'd give a few of the retailers a try and see if they can order the Tournament CB for you.
thanks a lot, but in the meantime I don't need to buy one. I just decided not to use mine until I know I can get a replacement. It would be sufficient if I just know such possibility exists. Then I could start using original ball I have with my set.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
The Aramith Super Pro Cup (measles ball) and the Red logo ball are made from the same Super Pro resin. Many players do testify that they play different but according to Aramith (and I got this directly from them) they are the same cue ball. Indeed, both balls come with the Super Pro sets (the red logo with the traditional set and the 6 dot with the TV set). Since the Super Pro sets are stated to be matched sets then the cue balls probably match the rest of the set which means both cue balls the same.

The blue logo ball is a lesser ball, made with the lower cost Premium resin.

As far as weight goes, the balls are not guaranteed to be exactly 6 oz. They are guaranteed to be within specification, which is 5 1/2 to 6 oz. Because of this, two otherwise identical balls may weigh different, and therefore behave differently. This is part of the problem with replacing a CB. If you have a set that is matched (like the Centennials or Super Pros) then the CB that came with the set should be very close in weight to the rest of the balls in the set. But any replacement CB may not necessarily weight the same as the ball it is replacing and therefore not seem to play the same.

I think this weight thing may be one of the reasons the measles and red logo seem to play different. Many people (myself included) bought a single Aramith measles ball to go with their Centennials or Super Pros, and it seemed to play differently than the red logo or blue circle (centennials) it replaced. It could be because the replacement ball doesn't weigh the same. But in reality, according to Aramith all three are the same ball made from the same resin.

I understand this, but here's something else to think about... If the measles ball and the red circle are the same ball made from the same resin, why does the red circle drop in the Diamond Smart Table, but the measles ball doesn't?

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a set of Centennials with the blue dot cue ball, a red dot Aramith and a red logo Aramith.

This is the only cue ball I use:

pro.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand this, but here's something else to think about... If the measles ball and the red circle are the same ball made from the same resin, why does the red circle drop in the Diamond Smart Table, but the measles ball doesn't?
ST uses an optical sensor so if that is happening it would be a color/contrast difference not size or wt.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No ball polisher. The scuffs are definitely cue marks, mostly miscues I imagine. I really push the offset limit when I'm practicing extreme spin shots and I keep going out until I miscue. Plus, I really warp them in at those times, so that kinda does a number on the CB surface. I tried using a jeweler's rouge cloth but have been reluctant to try anything more aggressive. Any recommendations for hand polishing compounds?
denatured alcohol dabbed on a magic eraser is the best combo I've found to remove deeper miscue scratch marks on cue balls. Some on here have said a magic eraser is too abrasive, which I don't really understand - its just a sponge!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
denatured alcohol dabbed on a magic eraser is the best combo I've found to remove deeper miscue scratch marks on cue balls. Some on here have said a magic eraser is too abrasive, which I don't really understand - its just a sponge!
Actually they are a micro-abrasive. Basically a glass hard resin that is processed into foam. It can be hard on some surfaces. I would think it would take shine off pool balls. Y/N??

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I have the Premium set. So, my assumption is that the reason my CB has so many surface scuffs after only six months of play is that the resin is of inferior quality? Or maybe it's all the times it hit the basement floor (JK).

I just went down and weighed all the balls. 12 balls are 166 grams (5.85 oz), two balls are 165 grams (5.82 oz) and one ball is 167 grams (about 5.89 oz.) The blue logo CB is a whopping 171 grams (6.03 oz). No wonder I can't get two table lengths of draw.:grin:

I would stay away from the blue logo ball based on my experience with it.

I have the Blue Logo ball that came with my Aramith Premium set, over 6 years ago. It is very affordable through Ama***. As low as $11.62 shipped, assuming it hasn't also been faked?

The Aramith Red Circle cue ball sells for less than $20 shipped, assuming it hasn't been faked?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Magic Eraser is equal to 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. It would definitely take the shine off a new set of balls, even the new heat vitrified ones.

Actually they are a micro-abrasive. Basically a glass hard resin that is processed into foam. It can be hard on some surfaces. I would think it would take shine off pool balls. Y/N??