plz help

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have just recieved my custom cue after waiting 4 months, and i have curly maple where the wrap would normally be. my question is this. the curly maple has 2 black knots in it and it stands out like a sore thumb. they told me to send it back and they would fix it. now, will they simply take out the existing piece, and put in a new piece of curly, or do they have to redo the entire cue? als they said they need the shaft also, why is this. thank you, joey

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:
i have just recieved my custom cue after waiting 4 months, and i have curly maple where the wrap would normally be. my question is this. the curly maple has 2 black knots in it and it stands out like a sore thumb. they told me to send it back and they would fix it. now, will they simply take out the existing piece, and put in a new piece of curly, or do they have to redo the entire cue? als they said they need the shaft also, why is this. thank you, joey

If it is that bad it should never have been delivered. I would ask for a refund and forget about it. There are many cuemakers that can make you a nice cue. I would not want them taking it apart. They would be better off replaceing the cue or giving you a refund and selling that cue with a wrap. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh man, dont tell me that. i cant wait anymore. its a reputable cue maker, i too am surprised they sent it to me. he said that it may not be knots, that it may be minerals in the wood. i hope they dont mess this up, cause the rest of the cue is just gorgeous.it took 4 months to make, and he said 6 weeks to fix, so i have no idea how they fix this.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:
oh man, dont tell me that. i cant wait anymore. its a reputable cue maker, i too am surprised they sent it to me. he said that it may not be knots, that it may be minerals in the wood. i hope they dont mess this up, cause the rest of the cue is just gorgeous.it took 4 months to make, and he said 6 weeks to fix, so i have no idea how they fix this.

Regardless what it is, it was a visible to him as it is to you. He may have been hoping you would just not say anything. I am surprised though he would even want the cue out there with his name on it, if is was not right. Even if you looked at the cue and said "That's OK I will take it anyway" most cue makers, at least I would hope, would not even let you have the cue, because the cue is not right, it reflects poorly on them for as long as the cue exists. When a new cue maker does something like that you can write it off to inexperience, but when a reputable cue maker does it , it is complacency

Last edited:

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
your cue

I would definitly ask for a refund.IMHO a new custom cue should not have to be sent back to FIX.If he is truly reputable he should not give you a problem with a cash refund.If he does not want to refund,then make sure you get an entirely different cue.I would make sure that it was different woods being used so that you know it was not just repaired.
Just my 2 cents.and patience is a virgin.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
JOEY said:

Joey, you got any way to post a close up photo of the defect?
Call the cuemaker and ask him exactly what he plans to do to correct it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:

According to what you wrote, I would say it is going to get rebuilt.

Hannphie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would send it back I have a cue bought from a cuemaker that comes on this site and had the same problem with two black knots that show up. I bought the cue from the person that got it new. The cue is a great hitting cue and I can over look the knots. I think your good cuemakers should know better then to put something like that on the street. It just goes to show you it is about the money and not about cuemaking. Hannphie

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if thier intentions are to rebuild it, can they build it correctly in 6 weeks? and if they just replace the maple wrap, can it be done as such so itll be perfect?

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The black dots should not affect the playability of the cue.
If it is possible for you to get over the black dots, offer to keep the cue, as is, for a heafty discount on the price. :D

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
The black dots should not affect the playability of the cue.
If it is possible for you to get over the black dots, offer to keep the cue, as is, for a heafty discount on the price. :D

They only effect the cue as an unwrapped cue. The cue maker should rather just give a refund and put a wrap on the cue and sell it for full retail. It would solve three problems. The guy will have his money back, the cue won't be out there for all to see with the defect, and the cue maker will have sold the cue for retail. No cue maker should sell cues that could be called seconds. He would ruin his reputation.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOEY said:
if thier intentions are to rebuild it, can they build it correctly in 6 weeks? and if they just replace the maple wrap, can it be done as such so itll be perfect?

Yes it can be done.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I'm a little curious just how serious this is. I don't consider natural figure in wood to be a "defect". I'd like to see a picture of the defect, if that's possible.
Sherm

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
I'm a little curious just how serious this is. I don't consider natural figure in wood to be a "defect". I'd like to see a picture of the defect, if that's possible.
Sherm
Same thing I was thinking. Especially with maple, sugar spots are just part of the game. Black mineral is the most undesirable thing to find, and it sound like that might be what he is talking about. If the black spots are in the right place you might ask the cuemaker to strip the finish and place a few small inlays in to cover it up. Makes your cue worth more and makes his job easier. Just a thought.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he said that it may be minerals. for all i know its sugar spots, or whatever theyre called. either way, theyre black dots in the wrap area, and with it being curly maple it sticks out like a sore thumb.the thing is, it looks to me like they mirror each other. they have a small curve, and they both look identical. thats what makes me think that its a knot. regardless, he shouldnt have sent it to me that way. if he seen the defect, he should have tossed that piece and made a new one, or covered it somehow. thanks for your input. anybody else have any suggestions? joey

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
help

JOEY said:

Hi Joey,

sounds like you got a not so good lookin cue.
If they [ the cuemaker], say they will fix it, make sure they either re-place the handle, [not to tough of a job] or don't except the cue if they just cover the knots up with maple plugs. Demand a new cue, if your worried, as you seem to be.
If you have trouble, ask for a re-fund. If they don't up a new cue, or your money, call me @ 830-232-5991. I'll see if I can get something done for you.
Not trying to pry, just trying to help. I have help a few other guys in a tough spot.
The wait is long to the purchaser, but not long to a good cuemaker. I, run behind most of the time for a couple of reasons,
1.- weather, I will not paint and or cut wood when it been raining, and the humidity is high.
2.- I'm backed up about 45 to 50 cues at all times, [about 3-1/2 to 4 month's], so when the weathers bad, i get backed up even more.
Just let me know if you need my help. In respect to the cuemakers your dealing with, please do not mention his name.. Got to give them a chance.

blud

Metzger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious Blud, how long is a wait for a custom Blud? Not your super fancy stuff..just a plain one.

blud said:
Hi Joey,

sounds like you got a not so good lookin cue.
If they [ the cuemaker], say they will fix it, make sure they either re-place the handle, [not to tough of a job] or don't except the cue if they just cover the knots up with maple plugs. Demand a new cue, if your worried, as you seem to be.
If you have trouble, ask for a re-fund. If they don't up a new cue, or your money, call me @ 830-232-5991. I'll see if I can get something done for you.
Not trying to pry, just trying to help. I have help a few other guys in a tough spot.
The wait is long to the purchaser, but not long to a good cuemaker. I, run behind most of the time for a couple of reasons,
1.- weather, I will not paint and or cut wood when it been raining, and the humidity is high.
2.- I'm backed up about 45 to 50 cues at all times, [about 3-1/2 to 4 month's], so when the weathers bad, i get backed up even more.
Just let me know if you need my help. In respect to the cuemakers your dealing with, please do not mention his name.. Got to give them a chance.

blud