Winnie Bennie ??

sharandrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Winnie Bennie still kickin?? we were having an discussion about him and no one knew if he was alive.. great stories about him!! :)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you are talking about Bill Staton(Weanie Beanie)I saw him in the audience at the Mosconi Cup. Im sure he is still going. Most likely be at the Open- least ive seen him there in past years.

Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
I assume you are talking about Bill Staton(Weanie Beanie)I saw him in the audience at the Mosconi Cup. Im sure he is still going. Most likely be at the Open- least ive seen him there in past years.

I'm sure he is, Nostroke. As you say, Bill is still, MUCH, alive and kicking. Below, with a familiar face to most.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, I saw him at a recent tournament, too. Very personable guy.

I beleive that his nickname is spelled Weenie Beanie, and it's orgin, if memory serves, is that when he was young, he had his own hot dog cart (weenie is a slang term for a hotdog) and, like many other steeet vendors, he wore a cap that looked something like a beanie.

Guess you'd have to say Wimpy is Weenie Beanie's pool counterpart. Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter, named for the character on Popeye that loved hamburgers, was very partial to hamburgers.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your probably right on the spelling SJM- I tried Weinie from weiners and that didnt look right but anyway it was definitely hot dogs that gave him his nickname.

Im pretty sure he was originally from NY and then went south and opened up some Stands called Weenie Beanie's (assuming your spelling is right). They still exist. I saw one less than a year ago near Champion's Pool Room in Arlington. I would have stopped for one but they were closed. He likely sold his interest in them by now but that's just a guess.

Remember Angel from NY? He battled Beanie about 25/30 years ago. You can guess who came out on top in that one!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Your probably right on the spelling SJM- I tried Weinie from weiners and that didnt look right but anyway it was definitely hot dogs that gave him his nickname.

Im pretty sure he was originally from NY and then went south and opened up some Stands called Weenie Beanie's (assuming your spelling is right). They still exist. I saw one less than a year ago near Champion's Pool Room in Arlington. I would have stopped for one but they were closed. He likely sold his interest in them by now but that's just a guess.

Remember Angel from NY? He battled Beanie about 25/30 years ago. You can guess who came out on top in that one!

Actually, Nostroke, I used to practice with the inimitable "Angel" on occasion at the Golden Q in queens, but I doubt we have played each other since about 1983. He liked to bet big, but I never bet more than 10 or 20 a set, and I never gambled with him. I last saw him about five years ago at Amsterdam Billiard Club East.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
I'm sure he is, Nostroke. As you say, Bill is still, MUCH, alive and kicking. Below, with a familiar face to most.

he's retired in myrtle beach S.C.,used to play everyday in a place called gene's pool room but that is now gone,i used to watch him every day when i first learned pool,that man has more moves than a fox in a hen house,also a great person,when a player was down on his luck and sleeping under the tables beanie made sure he was taken care of,money food what ever,had more gamble than most people also. :D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
01rkclassic said:
he's retired in myrtle beach S.C.,used to play everyday in a place called gene's pool room but that is now gone,i used to watch him every day when i first learned pool,that man has more moves than a fox in a hen house,also a great person,when a player was down on his luck and sleeping under the tables beanie made sure he was taken care of,money food what ever,had more gamble than most people also. :D

You're absolutely right! Beanie has been around forever. He is NOT from NY, but has always been a 'southern gentleman' from VA/DC area. Bill was a good player in the 60's, and played in every tournament around the country.
He is still in good health, and can be seen sweating pool matches at tournaments all up and down the east coast!

Scott Lee