Vegan Tip Option

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine was asking me about tips for vegans, and I told her I'd keep my eyes open. After not finding much of anything commercially available, it occurred to me that lexan has similar properties to leather pool tips, so decided to try it.

I came up with this:

nwvyYRZ.jpg

I played with it yesterday, 3 hrs or so of straight pool and 4 or 5 hours of 8 ball tournament, and found that it plays essentially identical to my regular tip, a super hard milk-dud. I miscued twice, both times using extreme english with a lazy stroke, so I don't think that's out of line with miscues with my regular tip. I was chalking much more than I normally would, but think next time I play with it I'll try chalking at my regular rate, every 3 or 4 shots and see what happens.

Just wanted to put this out there in case it helps anyone else.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Isn't Lexan kinda hard for a playing tip?

I'm sure synthetic tips are coming, maybe even chalkless. I'm thinking something more like rubber than plastic - I think that would pass the WPA's specification: "The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material."

Hope we don't run out of other equipment changes to argue about between now and then.

pj <- representin' for my hooved bros
chgo

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't know what White Diamond tips are made of exactly, but if they're purely synthetic, then they'd be probably the best option. Otherwise it's phenolic, probably.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine was asking me about tips for vegans, and I told her I'd keep my eyes open. After not finding much of anything commercially available, it occurred to me that lexan has similar properties to leather pool tips, so decided to try it.

I came up with this:

nwvyYRZ.jpg

I played with it yesterday, 3 hrs or so of straight pool and 4 or 5 hours of 8 ball tournament, and found that it plays essentially identical to my regular tip, a super hard milk-dud. I miscued twice, both times using extreme english with a lazy stroke, so I don't think that's out of line with miscues with my regular tip. I was chalking much more than I normally would, but think next time I play with it I'll try chalking at my regular rate, every 3 or 4 shots and see what happens.

Just wanted to put this out there in case it helps anyone else.
Is it April 1st??????? Seriously??

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is exactly what "bulletproof glass" is made of.
It is a soft polycarbonate plastic. It "catches" bullets.
It can be carved, shaved with a plane, smoothed or roughed with a file etc. Lexan is one brand.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
vegans dont eat animal products but they touch them. so a tip that is vegan is a total joke. do you think a vegan wont sit on a leather chair or car seat. or wear wool.