SVB longest reign in US since Mosconi?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has been the best player in the US since around 2007. Has anybody since Mosconi been the unquestioned best player in the US for a longer time period?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long was Mosconi's reign? I didn't realize he was the clear cut champ, but that not my era.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi won his first world title in 1941, his last in 1957.

So can't be Shane then?

LOL, just kidding because I heard them discussing his lack of whatever a "true" world title is during the stream the past few days.

Big fan of how he goes about it, but enjoy watching the rest.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange how threads like this always seem to pop up after he wins another tournament...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi won his first world title in 1941, his last in 1957.

According to his autobiography, the last was in 1956 in Kinston, NC. He had his stroke in December, 1956 and didn't play much in 1957.

[Apparently Wiki is wrong, saying he won the BCA World Championship in 1957.]

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange how threads like this always seem to pop up after he wins another tournament...

Not to nit pick but he technically hadn’t won it yet when I posted it :)

I’m actually not a huge fan on Shane’s. Don’t dislike him either. I’m just stating on observation and I’m genuinely curious as to whether anybody has been as consistently excellent as him for as long a period since Mosconi

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
According to his autobiography, the last was in 1956 in Kinston, NC. He had his stroke in December, 1956 and didn't play much in 1957.

[Apparently Wiki is wrong, saying he won the BCA World Championship in 1957.]

Thanks, correction made!

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His championships pre-date Mosconi, but Willie Hoppe had a very long career. His first world championship in billiards was in 1906.
His last world championship was in 1952.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Not to nit pick but he technically hadn’t won it yet when I posted it :)

I’m actually not a huge fan on Shane’s. Don’t dislike him either. I’m just stating on observation and I’m genuinely curious as to whether anybody has been as consistently excellent as him for as long a period since Mosconi

Earl won a hell of a lot of world championships and us opens he was the top rotation player in the US for at least as long as shane has been imop. Johnny and the rest wasnt on that level.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mosconi's days there weren't as many "High End Players" as there are today. And I not as many tournaments either (though I wasn't even born yet). Those 2 factors make today's champions more impressive to me. And Earl really impresses because I think he is one of the only still a big threat (Johnny Archer too).

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Earl won a hell of a lot of world championships and us opens he was the top rotation player in the US for at least as long as shane has been imop. Johnny and the rest wasnt on that level.

Johnny was the Billiards Digest Player of the Decade for the 1990's, so I wouldn't say Earl was the "unquestioned best player in the U.S." for that time.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Haha, that's right. The next one will be, SVB is good an all, but, he hasn't won a """World Title""" so, he's not in consideration for the best whatever thread...

Not even the "Best American Pool Player in the Past 12 Years" thread???

Wow, you must really dislike Mr. Van Boening.

And, to be fair, he's probably been the best player in the world over that space of time.

Maniac

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the OP. Since TAR 1 in 2007 vs Corey, Shane has clearly been the #1 player in the US. Maybe in the very beginning of that period Archer was tied. But, they were unfortunately never able to match up when Archer was still on his game then.

In the prior modern era decades, we had Archer, Strickland, Varner, Sigel, and Hall. The superstars of their day. Within that group, there were many years of overlap. So one single player did not have a clear cut #1 position for long.

Shane has had absolutely zero competition for the #1 spot since Archer’s game fell off about the time Shane broke through in 2007.

2007-2020. 13 years. I don’t see any teens coming up now that have Shane’s potential. So Shane probably has another 10 years at #1.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the older pool newsletters, magazines, et cetera, Earl Strickland and Mike Sigel probably have the longest streaks.