Brunswick Gold Crown Cue Rack Restoration

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
looks terrific!!! Great job. :thumbup:

here's mine after I restored it just like yours.

and then I acquired a 2nd one then remodeled my rec room and decided to go tangerine with them.

As you now know these are pretty easy to restore and are lifetime quality pieces.

Now finish up the light so we can enjoy that result, as well. :grin-square:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• aqua-cue-rack.jpg
    aqua-cue-rack.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 238
  • GC-racks-inst.jpg
    GC-racks-inst.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and then I acquired a 2nd one then remodeled my rec room and decided to go tangerine with them.

As you now know these are pretty easy to restore and are lifetime quality pieces.

best,
brian kc

Thanks, Brian!

Nice room!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Those all look great. One thing I did to protect my cues was add some thin adhesive backed felt to the butt holes(yeah...I know). I laid it over the whole area and cut an X in each recess to wrap the felt into the pockets. I didn't take a pic but also stuck a dot of similar material behind each shaft so it doesn't slap the wood when pushed past the rubber nubs.
2ba6a447729554290cf08aed55a53f9d.jpg
b8abe7caac645a50d19659a15809a165.jpg
786f9c2a3e45a6f06d28aedbb77b719e.jpg

Sent from the future.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Nice man cave Brian!! What's going on all the white shelves?

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Sweet pool room!

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Where did you get the masonite for the backer board?
I'd like to buy one and have it shipped to me for the same project, but I need to line up a backer board.

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown Rack

All I can say is WOW. What a great make over you did. I's so happy you talked me into shipping it. They sat in my garage for years and in the closed down pool hall for years before that. If only it could speak. I have only one more to sell and then they are gone. Great job, Deacon.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say is WOW. What a great make over you did. I's so happy you talked me into shipping it. They sat in my garage for years and in the closed down pool hall for years before that. If only it could speak. I have only one more to sell and then they are gone. Great job, Deacon.

Thanks, Deacon!

TR_Frank

Registered
I made a lot of progress today!

I got the final coat of finish on the stained pieces and was able to install the nibs.

49684948702_0f03ece73a_c.jpg

The bottom portion has some "character" which is to be expected from something that's seen commercial service for the better part of 50 years.

49684117048_390af9bc81_c.jpg

I also wrapped up the painting of the nameplate. I wouldn't be upset if this was the last one I ever do.

49684936242_dcb9fd53c8_c.jpg

I also got the final coat on the white parts.

49684624331_764beed293_c.jpg

49684624611_35f9164133_c.jpg

49684090923_60dddcd0d1_c.jpg

Last but not least, the masonite backing.

49684624031_fdc3ef049f_c.jpg

All that's left is letting the paint cure and assembling!
I'm in the process of restoring the same rack. How did you do the Brunswick nameplate? How did you match the color? What did you use for buffing the chrome?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the process of restoring the same rack. How did you do the Brunswick nameplate? How did you match the color? What did you use for buffing the chrome?
I gave up on matching the color and went with a Rose Gold. I masked the perimeter, sprayed it and removed the paint from the Brunswick script and logo with lacquer thinner and Q-Tips. I used metal polish on the chrome.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry one more question, what approach did you take for mounting it to the wall?
It's actually mounted to the interior of my garage door. I used the stock mounting points into a 2x4. You'll have to measure the width of the openings. If wider that 16", you can mount one side into a stud and use a molly for the other. I used L brackets on the bottom to secure.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Rexus and Logical -- y'all have done some beautiful work.

What tool(s) wereused to drill the original nib holes in the first place? It appears the top rail is all one piece.