One Pocket: Filler vs Shuff

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably not top 10 yet but learning fast. Probably in the 15-20 range. I still think he's a few years away from having a chance to win the one pocket event at Derby City. Then again, I keep underestimating him, so who knows?

I think Filler has said that his objective (or at least one of them) in learning One-Pocket is to be able to win the Master of the Table title at DCC. So he could do that with just a good finish in 1-Pkt.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm glad filler has seen the light. maybe he can take on t-rex soon. doubt he would win but it would be a great match

i'm not a fan of filming 1p from the uptable end. i guess they couldn't set up the cam in the other end

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd still call Shuff in the US top 25 one pocket players based on my most recent observation of his play, but if he's not playing much, that changes things. He was about 10th best in 2014 or so.

Let's face it, Filler carves even accomplished players into little pieces from time to time. Still, 15-2 is one serious beatdown.

chohan, svb, deuel, thorpe, frost, d smith, j hall, lunda, roberts, chip, jeremy j, schmidt, owen, woodward, dominguez, bergman, daulton.. that's about 17, who am i missing

i did see shuff play almost perfect 1p against daulton 10 years ago though, he has the knowledge but maybe execution is lacking

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Do we think Filler is a top 10 one pocket player?

Top 5?

Top 10, will have to be competitive with the top players until he bogarts into the top 5, which he will IF he stays in 1P action. Some seasoning in conjunction with the fact that he shoots as straight as anybody will serve him well. His stroke, which is consistent, also lends itself to mastering banks.

He may start with Frost and work his way up before before trying Busty, SVB, Tony, Dennis and Pags,

Some the Chinese would be a factor if they stayed here for a while and took a shine to the game. The kid that's playing DO the 10B race to a hun kicks like a Tn mule and has whitey on a string, is he one of the 3 brothers?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Filler has said that his objective (or at least one of them) in learning One-Pocket is to be able to win the Master of the Table title at DCC. So he could do that with just a good finish in 1-Pkt.

For as much as we all disliked him. He's winning over fans in the US. His matches and ghost games on Roy's Basement show phenomenal talent. There's nobody playing anywhere near his level at this time.

Still I want to see him and Shane play a long race sometime in the next 6 months. Shane's a full time fisherman and he deserves that. He's done so much for pool. He's going to have another 10 years in him. I'm always going to pull for him.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still I want to see him and Shane play a long race sometime in the next 6 months. Shane's a full time fisherman and he deserves that. He's done so much for pool. He's going to have another 10 years in him. I'm always going to pull for him.

I'd love to see josh and shane play a long one
that said, I feel like the sooner, the better the match
shane is an all-time great and is still a top player
but I would be surprised if he hung in for ten more
meanwhile josh is also top, and still gathering steam

both players are obviously immensely skilled
if hunger and experience shared a seesaw
I think josh and shane would make it flat

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd still call Shuff in the US top 25 one pocket players based on my most recent observation of his play, but if he's not playing much, that changes things. He was about 10th best in 2014 or so.

Let's face it, Filler carves even accomplished players into little pieces from time to time. Still, 15-2 is one serious beatdown.

I played Brandon about 8 years ago when he was probably at the top of his game. We played for about 8 hours in his home room on his tight GC. In my opinion, He was in the top 100 in 1P. However I’ve played many short stops that played 1P better than Brandon. Now that I can look back I think his 1P is overrated. I watched him play at Buffalo’s big 1P tournament and he didn’t play well for a pro.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Brandon about 8 years ago when he was probably at the top of his game. We played for about 8 hours in his home room on his tight GC. In my opinion, He was in the top 100 in 1P. However I’ve played many short stops that played 1P better than Brandon. Now that I can look back I think his 1P is overrated. I watched him play at Buffalo’s big 1P tournament and he didn’t play well for a pro.

My thoughts too. Filler looks like a God playing someone that isn't that strong. Brandon always seemed like a nice guy but I would always bet against him.

I guess I am jaded after seeing Efren playing Jason Miller. Jason is an incredible player, and in three games in the finals of the DCC, it was over in 45 minutes. Jason hardly got a shot where he wasn't frozen to a ball.

Chohan and Frost look great when their shots are going in, but if they miss they sell out the rack with today's players.

Ken

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts too. Filler looks like a God playing someone that isn't that strong. Brandon always seemed like a nice guy but I would always bet against him.

I guess I am jaded after seeing Efren playing Jason Miller. Jason is an incredible player, and in three games in the finals of the DCC, it was over in 45 minutes. Jason hardly got a shot where he wasn't frozen to a ball.

Chohan and Frost look great when their shots are going in, but if they miss they sell out the rack with today's players.

Ken

I think it was under 30 minutes and the only balls Miller made were in Efren's hole.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to rank who I think are the top 10 one pocket players, and could only come up with a definitive 8.

Who would round out the top 10? Do we still consider Efren to be top 10?

What are Filler's chances in a long race against any of the players listed below?

Alex P
Dennis
Bustamante
Justin Hall
Chohan
Shane
Corey
Thorpe

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i remember the night and think he got to playing at least a ball better over the next couple years, especially as he got his Diamond feet under him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free advice: worth every penny.

Alex P- Nope
Dennis- Nope
Bustamante- Probably nope
Justin Hall- Maybe
Chohan- Nope
Shane- Maybe
Corey- Maybe
Thorpe- Maybe

I was trying to rank who I think are the top 10 one pocket players, and could only come up with a definitive 8.

What are Filler's chances in a long race against any of the players listed below?

Alex P
Dennis
Bustamante
Justin Hall
Chohan
Shane
Corey
Thorpe

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Alex P
Dennis
Bustamante
Justin Hall
Chohan
Shane
Corey
Thorpe

You might want to consider adding Scott Frost to your list. PoolActionTV just showed the 5 day 8 ahead match he had with Alex several years back in Vegas. Final was 63-55, over 40+ hours. If Scott is still playing at that speed, he belongs.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Alex P
Dennis
Bustamante
Justin Hall
Chohan
Shane
Corey
Thorpe

frost, smith, gomez..

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said by game 3 or so in the chat that Shuff was in tough to get 6 and some guy named Chris Grindh Jumped on me saying 'Oh yeah, you wanna give me 8 games on the wire' and a few of his idiot pals liked his post. I told him I don't bet with people i dont know. Anyway it seems i overestimated Shuff's game but what i really want to know if anyone knows if this guy is a member here. I need a steady income.Thanks

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
When and what was Shuff's last top performance in a tournament setting?