CTE/Explain it to me

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying to do this exact way how Stan Shuffett explained in his video which I don't have anymore.

The part that confuse me is why is there secondary line? I don't know how someone can see/look at both lines same time of the CTE line and Edge to A,B, and C depend on angle.

I can't do that and it throw me off. Is there any other way can do differently or can kindly as in Denzel Washington said in the movie PHILADELPHIA " can someone explain to me like I am a six years old"

I can't do the foot work sweep. I believe everyone is different and have their own way to do walk/footwork to be comfortable to shoot.

Anyway I try this system and somehow it just not coming to me and then I go back to the basic Hal Houle system with my little extra of what I do for myself, wow I make balls anyway. I feel my aiming way is 75-80%,but I wanna be at 95%.

Again if someone can explain what and why or something that most people have a hard time with. Or better yet point me in direction of a different aiming system to learn. Thanks and appreciate your help.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again if someone can explain what and why or something that most people have a hard time with. Or better yet point me in direction of a different aiming system to learn. Thanks and appreciate your help.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you tried Poolology? You can learn the Zone A shots and have it working for you in about 10 minutes. Brian posts here frequently and is good at answering question. Maybe more to your liking...

Just be aware that many aiming errors are actually stroke errors. Aiming is easy compared to stroking true.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Aiming is about learning to recognize the "shot picture" (stick/CB/OB relationship) that creates whatever cut angle you need - we learn to "know it when we see it" through repetitive practice, often with the help of a system. Systems aid the memorization process, usually by identifying fixed aiming "landmarks" (like fractional CB/OB overlaps) to help "categorize" shot pictures for easier memorization/recall.

My advice is to find the simplest method that works for you. Like most (all?) of us, I have my own systematic method (based on visualizing the OB contact point), but I don't use a formal system. If I did it would probably be the simplest version of "fractional" aiming.

pj
chgo

Cmate

Registered
Aiming is about learning to recognize the "shot picture" (stick/CB/OB relationship) that creates whatever cut angle you need - we learn to "know it when we see it" through repetitive practice, often with the help of a system. Systems aid the memorization process, usually by identifying fixed aiming "landmarks" (like fractional CB/OB overlaps) to help "categorize" shot pictures for easier memorization/recall.

My advice is to find the simplest method that works for you. Like most (all?) of us, I have my own systematic method (based on visualizing the OB contact point), but I don't use a formal system. If I did it would probably be the simplest version of "fractional" aiming.

pj
chgo

+1...

Poology was helping me get my bearings after a 40 year layoff. Just as it was starting to sink in this mass quarantine was announced.:mad::mad::mad::angry:

I got mine on Kindle

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You're not standing behind either line.

Stan explains in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8pW3V16I70&t=3m23s

Don't waste the energy. He's probably a nice guy but JPool started making identical posts like this one since June of 2012. The majority of his posting history is about how he can't understand or get it to work.

Go to the bottom of the page and work your way backward to today and it's page after page, post after post of how he can't grasp various aspects of CTE. Many times he says that "he's giving up." But he doesn't.

Don't know whether to applaud him for the tenacity or tell him what I'm about to tell him which is: JPool...if you're reading this, GIVE UP ON CTE. It's not for you.

In eight years of study you could have had a Ph.D. or MD degree which would have been far more beneficial and lucrative. Learn Joe Tucker's contact point aiming or Poolology for fractions. Whichever one clicks for you to play better pool.

The post history: (post history not available unless clicking on his name and then post history)

Here's the first post from 2012: "which instructor got a better explaining and dvd to show aiming system? - 06-05-2012, 12:38 AM"

"I've been playing for 19 yrs and but problem that I have, I kind of guess at contact point when aiming. I recently bought a CTE/Pro One dvd which by Stan Shuffett. I watched that dvd like 6-8 times.....I underdstand it but hard to execute it. So I am asking is there any instructor with a dvd got a better explaining and detail on how he seeing and shooting the balls. Please help with any information you may have. Thanks."

JPool, I really feel bad for you because you've been in a quest for an aiming system that ups your game and you've been playing for over 25 years. You even posted for an instructor to give you personal lessons so I know you're sincere.

But seriously, CTE is probably not for you if you can't visualize or see certain things as taught over an eight year time period. Hal Houle's shishkabob is very simple and you use the CB, OB, and tip of your cue to aim. Stan will be doing some videos of it either in his TS videos or by itself after the book comes out. Hang in there.

Last edited:

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't waste the energy. He's probably a nice guy but JPool started making identical posts like this one since June of 2012. The majority of his posting history is about how he can't understand or get it to work.

Go to the bottom of the page and work your way backward to today and it's page after page, post after post of how he can't grasp various aspects of CTE. Many times he says that "he's giving up." But he doesn't.

Don't know whether to applaud him for the tenacity or tell him what I'm about to tell him which is: JPool...if you're reading this, GIVE UP ON CTE. It's not for you.

In eight years of study you could have had a Ph.D. or MD degree which would have been far more beneficial and lucrative. Learn Joe Tucker's contact point aiming or Poolology for fractions. Whichever one clicks for you to play better pool.

The post history: https://forums.azbilliards.com/search.php?searchid=25239203&pp=25&page=6

If through every effort he can't see the 2 lines together then he really should give up.

No point in continuing. He should try Poolology.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The post history: https://forums.azbilliards.com/search.php?searchid=25239203&pp=25&page=6

Maybe John Barton should take this advice as well. He's been at it for 20 years and still can't seem to do it they way Stan recommends.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a comment like this be necessary? Go ahead, claim mister innocent now.

I knew it was a bit on the line when I posted that... but so is questioning the motives of a guy trying to get better. What you don't know is that the OP contacted me by pm and I can say he is genuine in trying to improve. So maybe he keeps coming back to CTE after giving up on it for awhile. So what? You could make the same criticism of JB. He never seemed to get it, apparently.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a comment like this be necessary? Go ahead, claim mister innocent now.
I PREDICTED IT WOULD HAPPEN.
That guy couldn't last even ONE DAY without making some snarky comment about a CTE student.
Even after one of his own had been advised to just give up on CTE and work with other methods.
It never fails.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy couldn't last even ONE DAY without making some snarky comment about a CTE student.
Even after one of his own had been advised to just give up on CTE and work with other methods.
It never fails.

Whatever happened to this?:

As for me, since the ignore feature is my friend, I only have discussions with other CTE Users and prospective students for the method.
As you make your case, I make mine.....I am not interested whatsoever in other points of view about aiming a pool shot. Therefore I have given up on the members of the Grouchy Posse.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It never fails.

Hey "Pete" since I'm not on ignore anymore I thought we could talk about something other than CTE. How's your checkers game, or is it chess for you?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hey "Pete" since I'm not on ignore anymore I thought we could talk about something other than CTE. How's your checkers game, or is it chess for you?

He can't read you now.
He's logged-in this time. :grin:
Joey~ Suspects the dude is using VPN and is being logged-in by someone else~

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I've been trying to do this exact way how Stan Shuffett explained in his video which I don't have anymore.

The part that confuse me is why is there secondary line? I don't know how someone can see/look at both lines same time of the CTE line and Edge to A,B, and C depend on angle.

I can't do that and it throw me off. Is there any other way can do differently or can kindly as in Denzel Washington said in the movie PHILADELPHIA " can someone

take this for a spin

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=201526&highlight=grey+ghost+aiming+shadows