Have you ever just had a Butt made up from a cuemaker?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After being reunited with my lost cue from years and years ago, I remember what a pain it was because it does not fit in a single case I have found. It's a 63" cue split 50/50, but with the pin, the butt section is just under 33".

I love the length, was actually considering having an extension made for it as I'm a tall and long armed person and I'd like to experiment with shooting length near 68-70". I had a custom carbon fiber shaft made at 31.5" to fit my current cue and I love it.

I'm now thinking, why not just have another butt made up to the same joint specs as my CF shaft and then have an extension made for it. My thought (and this is why I need your opinion) is that maybe there is a way to make the cue so that the extension is seamless in design and look, since it's a pre planned out concept is it something that could be done? My main reason is so I can buy a new case and not have to worry about length, the other reason is so I can experiment with the length of the cue.

Who would you suggest for such work? I know most makers are out a long ways but I'm hoping this project doesn't take forever to get into my hands.

Thank you,
James

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Absolutely, many cuemakers can fit a butt to the shaft of your choice, they wouldn't need the shaft long either

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine that any cue maker could do that.

Be warned though, the majority of the time and expense comes from creating the butt, not the shaft. I wouldn’t expect your butt to take a lot less time, or to be significantly less expensive, as the same cue with a single shaft...

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GO customs will make you a CF butt and extention to your length and pin and diameter.
Paul

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago, Bob Meucci made CJ Wiley and Mary Avina a couple Meucci Pro shafts. CJ gave me one and I sent it to Schmelke and had them make a butt to match up with it. They did a good job.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
More than a few years ago, I had Larry Vigus make me a 30" butt and I mated it with a OB1 Classic, also 30".

I gave him my shaft joint specs over the phone and when I screwed the cue together for the first time, the fit was so close to perfect that I would just consider it perfect.

Maniac

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a cue made with the intent of just using the butt with some of my favorite shafts. But I still included a shaft from the cuemaker in case I decide to sell it in the future.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with Coos Cues. I’ll be using my radial pin Revo with it.

Excellent choice.

Did you get the ebony and tamarind burl Merry Widow model?

If so, you made an excellent choice.

I got my cue from JC a month ago and can't wait to play with it.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent choice.

Did you get the ebony and tamarind burl Merry Widow model?

If so, you made an excellent choice.

I got my cue from JC a month ago and can't wait to play with it.

Yes, ebony and tamarind. I sent John my specs for a 30” butt, weight, receptacle for extension, probably a few other things. I just have to wait till Christmas time for it to be finished.