FS: Isoplast Ferrule Blanks

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Isoplast Ferrule blanks for sale.

If you want to try your hand at building a Low Deflection shaft or just like to try out a different Ferrule for your cues, grab a couple while you can, I am not sure when/if I'll be getting more.

Color: Slightly off-white... cream color. (slightly darker than Aegis, and lighter than Juma)

Size: Approx. .825 " long and .580 Diameter.

Weight: 5.7 grams using a Solid @ 1.105" x .585" Very lightweight

Machining: Cuts very easily. Continuous chip so I would suggest a sharp HSS bit and cutting left to right. If the chip gets wrapped tightly around the shaft you need scissors to cut it off.... pretty strong stuff.

Finally got around to taking a pic to give you an idea of the color.

000_Isoplast_zpsd323c147.jpg

Price Update
5 for $15 shipped, CONUS only.
50 for $125 shipped, CONUS only

OVERSEAS - 5 for $15 (or 50 for $125) plus shipping

Last edited:

G's Cues

Custom Cues and Repairs
Silver Member
You know I have to get some more of those from you for myself. Save me 5.

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
You know I have to get some more of those from you for myself. Save me 5.

Sure thing, I'll save 5 for you. I am keeping a couple dozen for myself. I like them, lightweight, nice color, good impact, easy to cut, blah blah blah. I've always liked how my one shaft plays that has one of these ferrules on it.

I need to get over to Baynesville for some electronic stuff and Woodcraft has some retracting casters I want on sale. If I get up that way this week I'll drop them off. If you need them right away send me your address and I'll put them in the mail.

G's Cues

Custom Cues and Repairs
Silver Member
Sure thing, I'll save 5 for you. I am keeping a couple dozen for myself. I like them, lightweight, nice color, good impact, easy to cut, blah blah blah. I've always liked how my one shaft plays that has one of these ferrules on it.

I need to get over to Baynesville for some electronic stuff and Woodcraft has some retracting casters I want on sale. If I get up that way this week I'll drop them off. If you need them right away send me your address and I'll put them in the mail.

There is no rush just figured have a few extra on hand. Thanks

rogedjohn

Registered
hi

Thanks for bringing up Isoplast ferrules. I'm checking into them my self. How good are they?

Ps Really cool that someone else here would mention Gene Newport from
Edgewater, Md. So sorry to hear about his passing.

Is his son making cues now?

Thanx,

RD Johnson

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
RD,
You know..... I've sold a couple dozen and even though everyone said they'd give me feedback none have. Guess its my fault for not following up with them. I haven't really spent much time in my shop since spring hit but hoping to get in there for at least a few hours this weekend. I put one on a shaft earlier this year but didn't play with it much before I sold it to someone who destroyed his shaft. I thought it played really well but I may have been biased. I'll try to remember to shoot out a few emails and see what they think. Plus I have some shafts near completion that I am going to use those ferrules on.

Did you know Gene? I met him about 10 years ago when someone asked me to fix his computer. Although I was going there to learn to build cues (and I was also trying to buy his shop), we spent most of the time playing One Pocket. Several years ago the Mrs. and I bought an old mansion that needed lots of work so I didn't go down too often after that. Shame, I turned down offers to play pool so I could scrape paint and replace rotten wood. We dropped off the league for a couple sessions so I didn't know he passed until well after the fact. I know he had 3 sons but the only ones I remember are Bo and Michael. I don't think either are building cues. I heard the bulk of his shop was sold to Tom Trott. Sly would know more... and tell you a few funny stories about Gene as well.

This reminds me, I got another box of these a couple months ago and need to lower the price and add pictures. I'll try to do that this weekend. The color is slightly darker than the previous ones.
Price is 5 for $15 shipped

B

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Finally added a pic and the price update. Note: The pic is on a pure white background so the ferrules look a little darker than they actually are.

All orders were shipped. Please send me feedback after you tried them out for a bit.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Got mine this week, but haven't installed one yet. Will report back when I do. Thanks,
Dave

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Isoplast

Are these similar to say titan ferrule material at all?

Here is some info I found a while back but the short answer is not really. But both seem to be touted as lightweight and strong. I haven't used Titan other than on my Z2 shaft (actually, the newer ones use something called "Maxlite") so I can't really tell you much. I can tell you I do not care for my Z2 shaft other than it is thinner than my 314. I wonder why they made the ferrule so short? The ferrule on the 314 is about twice as long as the one on the Z2 and from what I read the Z2 ferrule is uncapped. Not sure if its to maintain low deflection or a durability issue.

Here is some info I found on different websites that I put into a file about Ferrules.

- Titan is a polycarbonate-based thermoplastic. This Ferrule is strong, light weight and chalk resistant, a house cue replacement. NOT designed for break/ jump.
- Titan Is a very high temp, non thermoset , snow white material. It is very light weight in comparison to thermosets, but does not have problems with durability.
- Well I really like the Titan, but it's just too brittle. If it hits similar to Titan but more durable, it might be some good stuff
- I like the Titan but it's too weak for my install technique. The sidewalls of my ferrule are thin & it's capless, basically only there to protect the wood from damage. The Titan cracks with use. I use melamine in 99%+ of my cues because it's strong enough to use the way I do things. Both materials polish up nice & clean and look great, but only the high grade melamines have been strong enough.
- Titan is a soft material and will give a very soft hit similar to pvc or abs. they also dont stay very clean. if your looking for a harder hit and something that is bright white and will stay clean, go with Tiger Saber-T.

Isoplast urethane resins are high tensile strength, chemically resistant resins originally developed for medical use. Isoplast combines the toughness and dimensional stability of amorphous resins with the chemical resistance of crystalline materials. Excellent material for high Impact applications. The long fibre reinforced grades are strong enough to replace some metals in load bearing applications.
- I used a 314 shaft to break with for 6 -8 years and that ferrule is still in perfect condition. I can't claim to have a badass break but I can throw it pretty good. Although it breaks well, I've since found that using a harder ferrule gives a stronger hit. The 314 is an excellent playing shaft. With the low deflection, I can aim for the point of contact and not have to adjust my aim except maybe a bit for throw on some shots.
- Cuts very easily. Makes a long continuous chip so I would suggest a sharp HSS bit and cutting left to right. If the chip gets wrapped tightly around the shaft you need scissors to cut it off.... pretty strong stuff.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much info from users directly on Isoplast. I did have some stuff on the 314 but I think I must have left that file on my computer at the last contract I worked on. If you research the 314 I am sure you can find more info. Hopefully I'll get some feedback and be able to provide more info. I have some shafts close to being finished and will put a 1/2 dozen or so different ferrules on them and let me friends try them and see what they like and why. My present plan is using Aegis on my Break Cues and Isoplast on my Playing Cues. I'll try to do some more research next week at work.

Hope this helps.

danutz

Banned
Thanks for the info. I was'nt impressed with titans, or saber's, i thought juma played better than either of those, and i'm not a huge fan of it either.
Will definately have to try these out.