Polishing a canvas ferrule....?

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I have and old used shaft with a canvas ferrule that just looks dull. Is there one compound that works better than others to polish it up...?

Thanks for any info....:smile:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If you can spin it in a lathe you can use most any polishing compound and a paper towel. If you are just a player... you can use tooth paste in a pinch....

Kim

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Thanks Kim,

I do have a deluxe, just haven't done anything with the shaft yet......just making sure before I spin it.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Thanks Kim,

I do have a deluxe, just haven't done anything with the shaft yet......just making sure before I spin it.

I lightly sand ferrules with 600 paper and the put on a dab of Plastx... and squeeze it with a paper towel.... shines right up.

Plastx is head light polish.... by Meguiars...

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Clean it with denatured alcohol and Magic Eraser.
Let it dry.
Coat with thin CA. A few coats with 600 grit sanding in between coats.
3 coats at least .
Then polish.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canvas ferrule

I use 10 minute epoxy. Just put a little on and then wipe it completely off. What is left will darken and shine your ferrule.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Let it dry.
3 coats at least .
Then polish.

Love those magic erasers... Renaissance wax sealer polish works great after..

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Let it dry.
3 coats at least .
Then polish.

This is what I originally planed, but was afraid to try..... just haven't had much luck with the glue.... probably cause I'm not sanding between coats is my guess. :embarrassed2:

Thanks for all the info, fellas.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I lightly sand with 800. Then burnish with a paper towel (very carefully). Then apply Hightower's shaft sealer. Then cue wax. BTW, the shaft sealer does a great job on the edge of the tip.

I do like the idea of using Meguiars though. I'm gonna give it a try...

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I see a lot of the canvas ferrules where the "threads" are showing through. Friend of mine has a nice Schon with this problem. She swears it's the original ferrule. You guys know of any way to handle this short of replacing the ferrule? It's butt ugly and polishing doesn't help much.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of the canvas ferrules where the "threads" are showing through. Friend of mine has a nice Schon with this problem. She swears it's the original ferrule. You guys know of any way to handle this short of replacing the ferrule? It's butt ugly and polishing doesn't help much.

If the ferrule is one of their new ones, Ivorine-4, then the problem needs to be fixed before it gets played with. Those ferrules when unsealed collect dirt so damn quick. You can replace the ferrule and start over, but if it's dirty now, it'll always be dirty.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
On the black ferrules I've installed,I've used the CA for a sealer after cleaning with a fresh Magic Eraser and denatured alcohol and had great results.

I also started with the double-black linen material to begin with.

Since someone mentioned the Schon shafts with Ivorine-4,I've ran into 3 of them that had black streaks in them that were tough as hell to get out without sanding the shit out of it. I managed to get them presentable,but not perfect.

The weird thing was 2 of those shafts were pretty close to new. Tommy D.

kunin35

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mylands High Build Friction Polish or Hut Crystal Coat, polish with 800 grit then apply either with a q tip and polish with a paper towel.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
sand to 1000
hut crystal coat

Attachments

• 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 150

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the ferrule is one of their new ones, Ivorine-4, then the problem needs to be fixed before it gets played with. Those ferrules when unsealed collect dirt so damn quick. You can replace the ferrule and start over, but if it's dirty now, it'll always be dirty.

I've never seen the "filler" come up from Ivorine 4. It is not a linen or canvas filler.