Marking your table for practice

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you mark your table with straight lines for practice that won't damage your felt or mark up you felt? I was thinking of using a tape that fabric seamstresses use. Someone said use the blue painters tape.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can make a dashed line with clear hole punch reinforcers. Clear plastic donit circle looking thingies. Inexpensive, they stay put but can moved easily. It’s what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
How would you mark your table with straight lines for practice that won't damage your felt or mark up you felt? I was thinking of using a tape that fabric seamstresses use. Someone said use the blue painters tape.

A chalk line would be the easiest and would not effect ball roll.
It could be removed easily.

1/4” masking tape, but......don’t leave it on too long.
Maybe four weeks max.
Blue painter’s tape is the best.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i use a laser device to shoot a straight line and then use the donuts along that line to place the balls where needed.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve use a white pencil very lightly for temporary ideas, it comes off easy and works fine for what I’ve needed. A few times over the years I’ve used a sharpie market for a permanent dot(something very small only I’d really notice)

I
Look at it like this, it’s more important to practice than have a perfect looking table, while I wouldn’t ever mark a rail, the cloth is just cloth and it gets changed now & then. So I don’t put much thought into marking it up.

Best
Fatboy

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A chalk line would be the easiest and would not effect ball roll.
It could be removed easily.

1/4” masking tape, but......don’t leave it on too long.
Maybe four weeks max.
Blue painter’s tape is the best.
Chalk lines are great, from the center of a corner pocket to the diagonal corner at the opposite end. They are very useful in practicing your stroke with a dead-end shot of various distances - providing instant visual feedback that your tip/shaft stays completely on the chalk line throughout the entire stroke. The chalk line will not be that easy to completely remove from your cloth without some effort and possibly wiping it down with a damp cloth, so I wouldn’t want to do it on newly installed cloth.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve use a white pencil very lightly for temporary ideas, it comes off easy and works fine for what I’ve needed. A few times over the years I’ve used a sharpie market for a permanent dot(something very small only I’d really notice)

I
Look at it like this, it’s more important to practice than have a perfect looking table, while I wouldn’t ever mark a rail, the cloth is just cloth and it gets changed now & then. So I don’t put much thought into marking it up.

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy: I like this. I use Tailor's White Chalk.

randyg

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Get some kids chalk. I used a pack of kids colored chalk that I literally took from my kids. You can mark up the table and it easily vacuums or brushes out. I use the X1 to get it out now. You can make little X's or dots on the table for shot setup. I was originally using Master's chalk in a different color, but regular old chalkboard chalk is really the way to go.

I've also used the little donuts, but if you leave them on too long, they leave a gum residue on the table. And if you leave them a REALLY long time, they leave a little clean donut on the table. They are better for certain applications, but I prefer the chalk marks/lines.

-td

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i use a laser device to shoot a straight line and then use the donuts along that line to place the balls where needed.

If you don’t have a laser, kite string is good. Tape it to one end of the table, stretch it tight, tape it to the other end, and finally drop donuts along the line as needed.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend 6$ on a chalk box and pop lines as needed. Then you can put hole reinforces on the lines for repeating specific shots. The chalk comes up fairly easy depending on the color you choose.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have been using the Fons & Porter 7757 mechanical fabric pencil. It puts a very fine white line that can easily be removed with a damp cloth. $9 on Amazon

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... there is even a fabric chalk wheel that will do parallel lines ...
I like this. Among other things, you can make a small X, draw very thin lines such as around the triangle, and mark the shadows of a ball that you want to return to position. Dritz Tailor's Marking Pen, about $10:

CropperCapture[420].png

And you get green chalk if you want the line to be less obvious than white.

The lines wear off in a couple of weeks.