Top 5 Video Instructors

1thru9Everytime

Learning the game. In addition to getting as much playing and practice time, I am watching instructional YouTube videos. Can you share your top five instructors with Youtube channels? Thanks.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also want to mention Gene Albright who is doing some great things for players by Skype. Also Alex Lely posted one here that he was doing Skype lessons as well. I even heard a rumor Fedor Gorst was doing some stroke analysis, send him a video and a small amount and he’d review.

My number one pick would be Dr Dave for video fundamentals and Geno for aiming/sighting. We’re really luck to have the Dr in the house.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve taught guitar for over 40 years. Here are dozens good on line instructors. What I have learned is keep it simple. Teach one aspect and don’t get bogged down by cluttering it up with too many details.

The same with billiards. Keep it simple.

As a snooker player, I’m a fan of Barry Stark. However. his teaching is better suited for those a bit further along.

Two who I recommend are Tor Lowry and CJ Wiley. Their older instruction videos. Under 5 minutes and teach one point. Simple. Both are articulate ‘and’ being top pros, know their stuff.

Learning cueball control, run outs, etc are all fine but more of a ‘part 2’. It doesn’t matter what Your plan was on the table if you can’t make a shot.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jerry Briseth. And Mark Otto, both have good DVD's under $40.00 that do not cost you your first born. JMHO.:idea2:

Also must not forget Dr. Dave on U-tube, and last John Barton the Cue Case Maker, who tried so hard to SPLAIN CTE also on U-Tube. IMHO.:rotflmao1:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 You Tube channels with over 100 videos on fundamentals, systems, techniques and etc

Learning the game. In addition to getting as much playing and practice time, I am watching instructional YouTube videos. Can you share your top five instructors with Youtube channels? Thanks.

I have 2 You Tube channels with over 100 videos on fundamentals, systems, techniques and stories of how I went from a high stakes road player to ESPN World Champion.

For all my instructional videos join my private membership and I'll help you as much as possible @ www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Just Google my name on You Tube or a search engine and you'll see many complementary videos. www.cjwiley.com

Play Well, the Game is the Teacher

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You simply can't go wrong with Dr. Dave. Many of the others mentioned in this thread are all good as well. C.J. is great too, and because he contributes on here, that's awesome. It never hurts to listen to, and learn from as many as you can. Don't limit yourself to a number. Pocket billiards are games you can never stop learning more about. The day you are content with your game is the day someone will pass you by.

Also, start with fundamentals, and don't be in a hurry to learn too much, too fast. It's better and easier to retain what you learn by going at a reasonable pace. A goal I set for myself many years ago when I played more often and more competitively was to try and learn one new thing (no matter how big or small) every time I played. Then practice it. You can continue to learn something new each day, but make sure to practice as many of your newfound skills whenever possible. You'll be amazed at how quickly your knowledge and skill level ramps up with this method.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of all the ones I've seen, I'd have to put CJ at the top of the list as the actual best pool player of any of them.

For "all around" best, I'd have to go with Tor Lowry because he is excellent in all areas: playing ability, teaching ability, communications skills with easy to understand terminology, and overall video production quality.

This isn't a knock on anybody.

It is just that I think that Tor Lowry presents his material in a much better manner and he presents it in a straight forward manner that I think is "choreographed" better...

Last edited:

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson is another great one to check out. He did a great 3 part series on YouTube and his book is one of the best books you can buy.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, Tor Lowry, Dr. Dave and Sharivari produce, by far, the best instructional videos, for the largest audience. Tor is to video what Byrne is to books.

They both give away so many basic secrets, that take years to learn in competition, it’s not safe to walk into a pool hall and expect to find any sucker. Dr. Dave is giving away a bit more specific secrets, with a technical explanation, that normally takes many, many years to learn, without the help of an experienced player. And Sharivari is giving us all a great look at a very good player, while explaining his thought processes.

If these guys don’t quit giving away all the secrets, we old guys won’t be able to win a race, no matter how big the spot. Make ‘em learn the old fashioned way, 5$ at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums