One Pocket - Youths' Trojan Horse

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
How often do you see teenagers and even people in their early-to-mid 20's avidly playing one-pocket in your local pool hall? I know it's extremely rare or non-existent where I'm from. I rarely see a strategically, well thought-out, or methodical approach to a game of nine-ball for that matter; Just the attempt at instant satisfaction, whether it be slamming a 9-foot long cut shot into the back of the pocket with 1 warm-up stroke while hardly aiming, or barely missing a 3-rail bank. It's beginning to look like an ADD convention with pool tables to keep everyone thoroughly distracted. It's the technology age in full swing. Even when their talent and young eyes are wasted this way, with no real work put into their game (Just Friday nights banging balls around with friends), their youth allows them to excel at games like eightball and nineball.

It's no wonder why the older players capitalize on this and play one-pocket, which actually requires attention to be focused for more than 2 seconds at a time, as well as vast knowledge and intellect that takes years of hard work and studying to gather. They figure they have a fish or at least have the upper hand when playing an 18 year old 9ball player at one-pocket. My point is that if young players would realize this, start studying this game as if learning to play chess, and put work into it, eventually their young eyes would become a strong advantage even in one-pocket. Any of the one-pocket players would jump up to play the young-guns, possibly underestimating the underlying potential ;)

So, in an effort to exploit this vulnerability and expand my horizons (as I'm one of these 9ball bangers :D) , I've been trying to learn one-pocket lately. If anyone knows any good books or dvd's/matches to order, or possibly an online tutorial, or any wise words, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where to start :confused: . Thanks in advance :)

P.S. To all young guns, let's stand up and show everyone this generation isn't just a bunch of careless, ignorant, text-messaging, myspace surfing party animals on ritalin :mad: . For instance, we are well-seasoned veterans when it comes to the art of sarcasm and litigation :rolleyes:

All exaggerating and stereotyping aside, I hope more people my age start to play more one-pocket. There's plenty of money in it for a young-gun who knows the game. They won't know what hit em. :eek:

mszelis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be happy to play one-pocket if someone would be willing to teach me. I'll be down in Tampa in a couple weeks and I have no trouble paying for table time or lunch.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
One Pocket is a favorite game of the over 50 crowd, that is for sure, but here there are more and more players under 30 that have been bitten by the One Hole Bug..

BTW, Tony Chohan is under 30... LOL. so is his cousin Amar Kang.

Still lots of interest in this game by all ages...

The 'retail' pool players are still 8 ball bangers...

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
1 hole

Hey Six

Sounds like you are pretty mature for your age and I congratulate you for that. It gives me faith that not all youngsters are the waste that I view them to be. Anyhow although I am a true beginner at the game myself and am probably 20 years your senior, I too think that 1hole is a great game. Best thing you can do at this point is to play the game as often as possible with players of all skill levels. Not sure if the game can be taught better than actually experiencing the game. I think a lot of times experience is the best teaching aid.

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
One Pocket is a favorite game of the over 50 crowd, that is for sure, but here there are more and more players under 30 that have been bitten by the One Hole Bug..

BTW, Tony Chohan is under 30... LOL. so is his cousin Amar Kang.

Still lots of interest in this game by all ages...

The 'retail' pool players are still 8 ball bangers...

These are guys that put alot of work into their game, and are actually eager to play different types of games. Anyone at a pro level at 9ball works hard enough and is interested in pool enough to want to play different games. They basically have to pick up different games so people will play them.

My stereotype is for the majority of up and coming kids that have talent but waste it cause they don't care enough about the game. 9ball doesn't require much focus or thought to excel at it. Technology and the principles of games like 9ball instill this mindset. It's becoming more and more frequent. Think of the progression from where kids played straight pool until now. Just my opinion from what I've seen over the past few years. :)

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Hey Six

Sounds like you are pretty mature for your age and I congratulate you for that. It gives me faith that not all youngsters are the waste that I view them to be. Anyhow although I am a true beginner at the game myself and am probably 20 years your senior, I too think that 1hole is a great game. Best thing you can do at this point is to play the game as often as possible with players of all skill levels. Not sure if the game can be taught better than actually experiencing the game. I think a lot of times experience is the best teaching aid.

Believe me, I intend to lose alot of money playing this game before I get a descent hold on it. I'd like to learn as much as I can from books and videos though, and then let experience teach me the rest. If anyone knows of any useful aids in learning one-pocket, please share. :)

WINTHEDAY14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the game, I gonna start to get lesson from Ike runnels sometime in the coming months.

thrasher789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 18 and right now my favorite game is one pocket, I do fully understand what you're saying though, I can't recall ever seeing anyone else my age playing one pocket or even straights for that matter.

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
thrasher789 said:
I'm 18 and right now my favorite game is one pocket, I do fully understand what you're saying though, I can't recall ever seeing anyone else my age playing one pocket or even straights for that matter.

You've stumbled upon a gold mine. At your age and the amount of money in the game, the possibilities are endless.

Retail1LO

Pass the sugar!!!
Silver Member
I'm 29 years old...and one-pocket has been my favorite game for years now. It's funny...I'm a mediocre shot at best. However, I play one-pocket fairly well. I'm not a runner. I'm lucky if I can run 5 balls playing 9ball. I have good vision though...and play decent safes and decent banks. I rarely sell the farm. Where I struggle is playing against someone who can stroke. They play one-pocket like it's 9 ball...breaking the pack open like it's straight pool. They make one lucky shot...and the rest falls in place...and I'm toast. LOL I pick away at the pack...and send the cueball up table to the rail. It's like chess on a pool table...and I enjoy it tremendously. Above all else...it's the one game I can gamble on with everyone in my pool hall...even if I need a very small spot like 9-7.

At my pool hall...we even play one pocket games with 4 people, each get their own corner and we rack the balls in the middle. Or we play one pocket 8 ball.

God...I can't believe I'm stuck at work right now. I wanna play!!!!

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love onepocket and I'm 22.

Now here in Atlanta there is a 1pocket tournement every wednesday night that averages 20-30 people. It draws out the big dogs too. You'll even see Cliff Joyner play in it. But you'll also see Paul Song, Alice Rim, and other various younger under 50 individuals. Infact I'd say that atleast half the people in the tournament are under 30. Most I would guess about 25 or so. Next time I actually have time to go play in it I"ll try to get a picture for proof.

As for why younger people don't play it. One contribution I would say is the Leagues. Most people who are under 25 and play pool in bars/halls constantly play on leagues. Which is where they socialize and drink and missing a ball here and there isn't a big deal. Unlike in 1pocket where a miss is everything and you have to have patients.

But in the 1pocket tournament you won't see a single alcoholic beverage. Maybe 1 or 2 out of the 30 people playing. Because they know that if they miss with a strong player. Their game is over.

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
smittie1984 said:

Now here in Atlanta there is a 1pocket tournement every wednesday night that averages 20-30 people. It draws out the big dogs too. You'll even see Cliff Joyner play in it. But you'll also see Paul Song, Alice Rim, and other various younger under 50 individuals. Infact I'd say that atleast half the people in the tournament are under 30. Most I would guess about 25 or so. Next time I actually have time to go play in it I"ll try to get a picture for proof.

As for why younger people don't play it. One contribution I would say is the Leagues. Most people who are under 25 and play pool in bars/halls constantly play on leagues. Which is where they socialize and drink and missing a ball here and there isn't a big deal. Unlike in 1pocket where a miss is everything and you have to have patients.

But in the 1pocket tournament you won't see a single alcoholic beverage. Maybe 1 or 2 out of the 30 people playing. Because they know that if they miss with a strong player. Their game is over.

Glad to see there's younger people playing somewhere. We have maybe 2 one pocket tournies a year, but it's a big gambling game here with mostly older players and a couple young 9ball players that can't get a 9ball game, so are forced to pick up one pocket. It's getting more and more popular. I give it a couple years before tournies and leagues pick it up, and younger players are introduced to it earlier.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Grady Mathews Pool Tapes have QUALITY plus VOLUME!

SixSence said:
How often do you see teenagers and even people in their early-to-mid 20's avidly playing one-pocket in your local pool hall? I know it's extremely rare or non-existent where I'm from. I rarely see a strategically, well thought-out, or methodical approach to a game of nine-ball for that matter; Just the attempt at instant satisfaction, whether it be slamming a 9-foot long cut shot into the back of the pocket with 1 warm-up stroke while hardly aiming, or barely missing a 3-rail bank. It's beginning to look like an ADD convention with pool tables to keep everyone thoroughly distracted. It's the technology age in full swing. Even when their talent and young eyes are wasted this way, with no real work put into their game (Just Friday nights banging balls around with friends), their youth allows them to excel at games like eightball and nineball.

It's no wonder why the older players capitalize on this and play one-pocket, which actually requires attention to be focused for more than 2 seconds at a time, as well as vast knowledge and intellect that takes years of hard work and studying to gather. They figure they have a fish or at least have the upper hand when playing an 18 year old 9ball player at one-pocket. My point is that if young players would realize this, start studying this game as if learning to play chess, and put work into it, eventually their young eyes would become a strong advantage even in one-pocket. Any of the one-pocket players would jump up to play the young-guns, possibly underestimating the underlying potential ;)

So, in an effort to exploit this vulnerability and expand my horizons (as I'm one of these 9ball bangers I've been trying to learn one-pocket lately. If anyone knows any good books or dvd's/matches to order, or possibly an online tutorial, or any wise words, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where to start . Thanks in advance

P.S. To all young guns, let's stand up and show everyone this generation isn't just a bunch of careless, ignorant, text-messaging, myspace surfing party animals on ritalin . For instance, we are well-seasoned veterans when it comes to the art of sarcasm and litigation :rolleyes:

All exaggerating and stereotyping aside, I hope more people my age start to play more one-pocket. There's plenty of money in it for a young-gun who knows the game. They won't know what hit em. :eek:

When I started reading your post it was starting to chap my a** as it looked like you were an old dude venting relentlessly on younger people because they chose not to play one pocket. The young people get enough heat. ADD? Most of the people in the world have it when it's something they are not interested in.

There is more money in gambling at one pocket than there is at any other game and a young guy always gets the old guy's action even if the young guy is better. The old guys with the dough don't mind going off to the young guys because they appreciate a wise young man. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It is kind of cool to see a young guy playing one pocket though. It shows that he is either atttempting to become or is a more rounded player than most youths his age. You have to appreciate that but the biggest benefit to one pocket is it will make you smarter.;) Okay, okay, okay maybe it won't make you smarter but you will feel good when you make a score against a straighter shooter than yourself. :D :D

I think for the money GRADY MATHEWS TAPES ON ONE POCKET ARE THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. You get a phenomenal amount of information for a small amount of money and none of his tapes are choreographed like most tapes. Grady lays it all out there for you to see, making no apologies for missing a three rail bank. Get Grady's kicking tapes which will help you in 9 ball, 8 ball and one pocket

Shoot, locate Grady's name through the MEmbers TAB above and send him an email asking him to autograph some of the stuff are catch him at one of his traveling pool schools. Send him the dough and you get collectible pool memorabilia to keep and use and make even more money with.................... Arrrrgh, don't it do it it sounds like a pyramid scam.:D
Okay, okay, okay go ahead and spend the money on Grady's stuff. You won't regret it and you will become light years advanced over all of your peers and that's on the square.

JoeyA

fearless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree with the most part that most of the younger generation around my age (i'm 24), don't have the patience for one pocket. I myself however, love one pocket. It is my favorite game, and I play it anytime I get the chance. I usually play with bucktooth every chance I get. I feel that to advance your skill you need to be an all around player. It helps out in every game. Nineball helps with your shotmaking ability and stroke. Straight pool helps you learn caroms, brake out shots, and such. One pocket helps with safeties, banks, and gets you thinking more than any other game. Eightball, requires practically everything from all the other games. That's just my 2 cents. A good example though would be Efren. If not being the best player in pool, he is certainly the best all around player.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to watch a youngan play some great One hole two weeks ago at Rock Hill SC I think they call him Nick V or Vita, very small young fellow that knows the moves and makes the shots for $500 a game.--Leonard

jdelcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smittie1984 said:

Yup. I love me some one pocket, but I don't get the opportunity to play that tournament too often.

I think that if you really like the game of pool in general...and not just hitting balls into pockets, but all of the aspects of the game...ya gotta love One Pocket.

For the amount of time that I've been playing the game, I'm a pretty decent bank shot on my good days, and I get by on the bad ones, so that helps out. Otherwise, I just have the opportunity to watch some great matches here in Atlanta between some of the guys mentioned above, and many others...and learn from that as much as I can.

My favorite game by far, at the ripe old age of 20. Lol. :rolleyes:

...and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say (contrary to what some other people have said to me on the board) that playing One Pocket has single handedly made me a better 9-Ball player all-around. Or better at any game for that matter. When I started playing, it was just 9-Ball (and some 8-Ball) for almost a year...and One Pocket just makes you learn those things that you're not challenged to perform so often during a random game of 9-Ball against Joe Schmo...lol -- and it also greatly enhanced my ability to pocket balls. No two ways about it.

I always laugh my ass off when I go back home to Miami, FL and ask around for a One Pocket game and all the league players look at me with blank stares. LOL! It's tough when there aren't any serious players around, and you're just surrounded by APA Leagues...

...Sorry for going off on that tangent! :eek:

Good luck to you, Six!

Opie

Stronger than shortstop?
Silver Member
poolcuemaster said:
I got to watch a youngan play some great One hole two weeks ago at Rock Hill SC I think they call him Nick V or Vita, very small young fellow that knows the moves and makes the shots for $500 a game.--Leonard

When I read the first post about no young people playing 1-hole, Nick Vita instantly came to mind. He's young but has knowledge in 1-pocket WAY beyond his years. Justin "The Roadman" also plays well.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays good

Opie said:
When I read the first post about no young people playing 1-hole, Nick Vita instantly came to mind. He's young but has knowledge in 1-pocket WAY beyond his years. Justin "The Roadman" also plays well.

He took out Brady playing 5 ahead twice in 10 games, I guess Fast Eddie would have said flatfooted.--Leonard

SixSence

Richmond Boy'
Silver Member
jdelcue@emory.e said:
Yup. I love me some one pocket, but I don't get the opportunity to play that tournament too often.

I think that if you really like the game of pool in general...and not just hitting balls into pockets, but all of the aspects of the game...ya gotta love One Pocket.

For the amount of time that I've been playing the game, I'm a pretty decent bank shot on my good days, and I get by on the bad ones, so that helps out. Otherwise, I just have the opportunity to watch some great matches here in Atlanta between some of the guys mentioned above, and many others...and learn from that as much as I can.

My favorite game by far, at the ripe old age of 20. Lol. :rolleyes:

...and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say (contrary to what some other people have said to me on the board) that playing One Pocket has single handedly made me a better 9-Ball player all-around. Or better at any game for that matter. When I started playing, it was just 9-Ball (and some 8-Ball) for almost a year...and One Pocket just makes you learn those things that you're not challenged to perform so often during a random game of 9-Ball against Joe Schmo...lol -- and it also greatly enhanced my ability to pocket balls. No two ways about it.

I always laugh my ass off when I go back home to Miami, FL and ask around for a One Pocket game and all the league players look at me with blank stares. LOL! It's tough when there aren't any serious players around, and you're just surrounded by APA Leagues...

...Sorry for going off on that tangent! :eek:

Good luck to you, Six!

I have never met someone my age that considers one-pocket their favorite game, or even really gives the game a chance. It's good to know there are some out there. Looks like I'll have some stiff competition in my own age bracket when I finally learn the game. I figure I'm a descent chess player and pool player, so I should be alright :) We'll see what happens in the next few months.