My MIZ Memory

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was 10 years of age there was an event in my hometown of Nashville, TN called "Challenge of the Pool Stars" or something of that nature. You could pay "x" amount of money and play the names a game of 8 ball, mingle, etc. I played pool with my dad on a weekly basis, and he thought it would be a fun idea to take me. At the time, the two pool players I could pick out in a lineup where Minnesota Fats and Steve Mizerak (thanks to his video promotions on ESPN).

I couldn't wait to play Steve. We had to stand in a LONG line to play him, and it was in front of a nice sized crowd. Of course, there were many tables lined up together and on each table was one of the STARS, playing, joking, and entertaining. FATS had the biggest crowd, and the loudest laughs (shocking, right?). At the time he actually lived in the Stouffer (I'm pretty sure) hotel in Nashville, so this area was his home.

So, it was me and my dad in line...and my dad told him that I wanted to play him. He saw that I didn't have a cue, so rather than have me use a house cue he screwed together a spare cue he had in his case --- which my dad just got wide-eyed about, but the MIZ told him not to worry. I remember it being very fancy, but I didn't know "cues" or have any real concept about that sort of thing. I could sense that I was to be very careful with it, without being told.

The MIZ broke a rack of 8 ball and didn't make anything. I ran 3 or 4 balls and missed. While I was running balls he was joking/commenting about " how I was a lefty, so I was a natural...and look at this kid running out on me. I didn't sign on to be humiliated. etc, etc." The crowd loved it, and his humor made me less nervous to be playing him. The MIZ ran some balls but missed enough shots to let me win the game. At the time I knew STOP english, and loved to fire balls in and stop the cue ball. Anything else happened by accident..LOL. So, I just made balls and looked to see what was open from there. (Like we all do as beginners I guess). The MIZ was really nice, and a crowd pleaser. He said now I could tell people I beat "The Miz". He asked if I wanted a picture with him, and found a guy with a Polaroid camera. I have this picture stored somewhere....and I tried to dig it out last night but couldn't find it. If I can, I will post it.

After playing with the MIZ my dad took me by to meet FATS real briefly. My mom and dad knew FATS because my mom had hired him to entertain/do some trick shot exhibitions (which was more talk and jokes because he was quite elderly at this time) at a few INGRAM BARGE COMPANY business functions (on my dad's advice). He definitely had a way with words. My dad told him that I was Roberta's son, and he got the biggest smile on his face and said, "Your mother is the classiest lady in Nashville, and I know class,..."(and went on and on) He told my dad to bring me down and visit him and he would teach me how to be a champion, blah, blah, blah. Of course this was interrupting his session, so his customer was waiting on him, but he could just go on and on. Real nice guy, but I guess his sense of humor, etc, was above my head at the time, and I didn't see the big deal with him. After all, I had just beat the MIZ.

Anyhow, Steve Mizerak made a great impression on a young kid, and I've idolized him since. He was a phenomenal pool player (with the most beautiful and powerful stroke I've ever seen), a great businessman, well-educated, class act. The MIZ was just an overall super representative of the game we all love so much and will be missed. I'll try to post that picture if I find it.

RIP "MIZ"

pineknot

Registered
Nice story.

I'm impressed with all the nice stories about Steve. He, along with Deacon Crane, were the two pool players whom I've admired most through the years.

RIP and God bless you, Steve Mizerak.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matt_24 said:
When I was 10 years of age there was an event in my hometown of Nashville, TN called "Challenge of the Pool Stars" or something of that nature. You could pay "x" amount of money and play the names a game of 8 ball, mingle, etc. I played pool with my dad on a weekly basis, and he thought it would be a fun idea to take me. At the time, the two pool players I could pick out in a lineup where Minnesota Fats and Steve Mizerak (thanks to his video promotions on ESPN).

I couldn't wait to play Steve. We had to stand in a LONG line to play him, and it was in front of a nice sized crowd. Of course, there were many tables lined up together and on each table was one of the STARS, playing, joking, and entertaining. FATS had the biggest crowd, and the loudest laughs (shocking, right?). At the time he actually lived in the Stouffer (I'm pretty sure) hotel in Nashville, so this area was his home.

So, it was me and my dad in line...and my dad told him that I wanted to play him. He saw that I didn't have a cue, so rather than have me use a house cue he screwed together a spare cue he had in his case --- which my dad just got wide-eyed about, but the MIZ told him not to worry. I remember it being very fancy, but I didn't know "cues" or have any real concept about that sort of thing. I could sense that I was to be very careful with it, without being told.

The MIZ broke a rack of 8 ball and didn't make anything. I ran 3 or 4 balls and missed. While I was running balls he was joking/commenting about " how I was a lefty, so I was a natural...and look at this kid running out on me. I didn't sign on to be humiliated. etc, etc." The crowd loved it, and his humor made me less nervous to be playing him. The MIZ ran some balls but missed enough shots to let me win the game. At the time I knew STOP english, and loved to fire balls in and stop the cue ball. Anything else happened by accident..LOL. So, I just made balls and looked to see what was open from there. (Like we all do as beginners I guess). The MIZ was really nice, and a crowd pleaser. He said now I could tell people I beat "The Miz". He asked if I wanted a picture with him, and found a guy with a Polaroid camera. I have this picture stored somewhere....and I tried to dig it out last night but couldn't find it. If I can, I will post it.

After playing with the MIZ my dad took me by to meet FATS real briefly. My mom and dad knew FATS because my mom had hired him to entertain/do some trick shot exhibitions (which was more talk and jokes because he was quite elderly at this time) at a few INGRAM BARGE COMPANY business functions (on my dad's advice). He definitely had a way with words. My dad told him that I was Roberta's son, and he got the biggest smile on his face and said, "Your mother is the classiest lady in Nashville, and I know class,..."(and went on and on) He told my dad to bring me down and visit him and he would teach me how to be a champion, blah, blah, blah. Of course this was interrupting his session, so his customer was waiting on him, but he could just go on and on. Real nice guy, but I guess his sense of humor, etc, was above my head at the time, and I didn't see the big deal with him. After all, I had just beat the MIZ.

Anyhow, Steve Mizerak made a great impression on a young kid, and I've idolized him since. He was a phenomenal pool player (with the most beautiful and powerful stroke I've ever seen), a great businessman, well-educated, class act. The MIZ was just an overall super representative of the game we all love so much and will be missed. I'll try to post that picture if I find it.

RIP "MIZ"

Nice story Matt. Miz may have had the most powerful stroke ever. He could make the cue ball do a wheelie, and leave rubber for a couple of feet.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pineknot said:
Nice story.

I'm impressed with all the nice stories about Steve. He, along with Deacon Crane, were the two pool players whom I've admired most through the years.

RIP and God bless you, Steve Mizerak.

When I first started watching pool on t.v. there were
6 great players: Mizerak, Crane, Sigel, Varner, Hopkins,
and Strickland. Once I saw the Miz hill-hill in a big tourney
and had the 9 ball staight in for the match & missed!
When asked what happened on that shot he said, " Well,
in pool terminology we call that getting a tight a..., Wait
a minute. This is t.v., isn't it? We call that ' choking up'".
He had a great sense of humor in what had to be a very
disappointing moment for him.