Do carbon fiber shafts make the game easier?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a full 13mm shaft with an ivory ferrule. They play great but deflect like hell if that's what floats ur boat.

Don't know what the shaft size is, but my Mobley does have an ivory ferrule. Down here we like more deflection. And more cowbell.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...doesn’t make it easier if I can get more spin without hitting it harder?
Maybe, slightly. But again, more power doesn't usually = "more spin".

And, by the way, would that make it harder to use a soft touch when needed?

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Funny you mention that. A friend lives in Vegas and plays quite a bit of 1p. After testing a cf shaft(which? dunno) he said that it was hard to hit the really soft touch shots because of this. Granted he was used to his Toeboy cue and could probably make the adjustment. I've heard this from a couple other guys who play mostly 1p. Said the cf shaft was a tad "hot" for their game. Mental? Real? Who knows.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

A soft touch would be easy to accomplish by using a different butt.

A different butt can control the hit with carbon fiber shaft.

A McDermott Ballicini will have a very soft hit. The butt is not made of the regular materials.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A soft touch would be easy to accomplish by using a different butt.

A different butt can control the hit with carbon fiber shaft.

A McDermott Ballicini will have a very soft hit. The butt is not made of the regular materials.

Won't change the hit that much, if any. I've tried cf shafts on a Meucci butt, a cf Becue butt, JOSS, Cuetec, Predator butts. They all played about the same. These shafts are STIFF. Changing out the butt won't change it to where you can tell any difference. Not goin for it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple question, but to clarify:
Would a person who switches to a carbon fiber shaft (Predator, Cuetec, Jacoby etc.), play at a higher level afterwards, with the same amount of practise as before, after he has gotten used to it?

I think we need to remove the fact of a carbon fiber shaft and just put in "a different shaft" in here. CF or not CF does not really matter when it comes to improving shooting, only thing that does is if the equipment makes it better for the person using it. It's like saying "will buying a BMW make you a better driver". If your issue is that you don't look where you are going, drive too fast for road conditions, follow too closely, nope. If your issue is that you want to stick to the road better or have a nicer ride, then yea it may help. But not any better than say a Lexus or any other good car.

This would depend on why you miss. Most misses I see are due to improper alignment and arm/hand/body motion on the shot. No shaft will fix that for you.

For those misses that happen because you did not adjust properly to spin, a different shaft should help if it matches how you aim. For those shots where you come up short on position, changing shafts also can help if they can get more action on the cueball with the same strength stroke.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't change the hit that much, if any. I've tried cf shafts on a Meucci butt, a cf Becue butt, JOSS, Cuetec, Predator butts. They all played about the same. These shafts are STIFF. Changing out the butt won't change it to where you can tell any difference. Not goin for it.

Just spreading around some knowledge.

Try putting a rubber washer between the butt and shaft and see how it hits.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just spreading around some knowledge.

Try putting a rubber washer between the butt and shaft and see how it hits.

Of course that would change it some but that's not changing out the butt. No butt will reduce the power of the hit with a cf shaft. Putting in a washer is akin to adding a shock absorber. No way to make a butt that would absorb the hit/energy like that.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old adage, "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian", applies to the situation. If we all changed equipment, to the supposed BEST, the differences between us, would still be the same...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as shooting soft shots with carbon fiber shafts go, I "think" my 12mm Becue carbon fiber shaft is not quite as "stiff" as my carbon fiber 12.1mm Meucci Pro shaft.

I haven't played them "shot for shot" in a comparison, but I think the Becue shaft flexes a bit more and is more "suited" for the softer shots.

I can shoot hard or soft with any shaft, but I think a shaft with a bit more "flex" lets you "finesse" a little better.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old adage, "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian", applies to the situation. If we all changed equipment, to the supposed BEST, the differences between us, would still be the same...

Dumbest saying ever,...I’m sure Indians were particular about how and what they made their arrows out of.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dumbest saying ever,...I’m sure Indians were particular about how and what they made their arrows out of.

The phrase doesnt mean the arrows were somehow inferior.

The meaning is this, the best arrow will just sit in a quiver and do nothing, it takes the archer to shoot a bullseye with it.

BTW, I also explain Chinese proverbs for a small fee as well. :thumbup:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The phrase doesnt mean the arrows were somehow inferior.

The meaning is this, the best arrow will just sit in a quiver and do nothing, it takes the archer to shoot a bullseye with it.

BTW, I also explain Chinese proverbs for a small fee as well. :thumbup:

And none of you on this thread are great archers so you need all the help you can get.. even a great archer isn’t going to pull out a warped arrow with a dull head and expect to successful with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And none of you on this thread are great archers so you need all the help you can get.. even a great archer isn’t going to pull out a warped arrow with a dull head and expect to successful with it.
Don't be an ass, you know what they mean. The cue is waaaaaaay over-rated as to its importance. Efren beat the world with a pos $15 cue. Oh, as to the archery deal, i've shot/hunted since i was around 15. If you wanna tee it up doin that old-school(no pussy compounds) go get a bow and a stack of cash.