New ball set

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I cant keep either of my sets clean for more then one or two practice secession's, I take them two a few different pool halls that are good places with good equipment.

Are you doing something to yours to keep them from picking up chalk, dirt, etc.

Only clean new ball sets with water and cloth.

The outer surface stays impermeable for a couple years in a pool room environment, if they are cleaned this way.

Once in awhile a black scuff mark appears, use Windex or something non abrasive. Or a good spit shine/rub.

Once the outer surface is worn thru, the ball becomes porous and will pick up dirt ALLOT easier, thus changing all shots with a spinning cue ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a very small amount of arimath ball cleaner every day. When I say a very small amount, I'm talking extremely small.

After they have a VERY SMALL amount of polish/cleaner, I let them dry for roughly 24 hours or more depending on humidity levels.

Then I put them in a diamond ball polisher for about 30 seconds.

Then, I changed the wheel out for a cleaner one and spin the balls again for about 10 seconds.

Thats it. There done.

BTW, most people use WWWAAAYYY to much cleaner/polish on their balls. It's not good for the balls or the cloth. Plus, make the balls and table play unnaturally.

Like anything else, there is a sweet spot as for the amount of cleaner /polish used on the balls.

Also, I use a very clean chalk. That alone will go a long ways to belp keep balls and cloth clean.

I've been using Taom for a long time. It helps keep the balls and especially the cloth and rails.very clean.

Jeff

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, I alternate between two set of cyclop balls. While one set is drying for 24 hours, I'm playing with the other set. Then, at the end of the day, I get that set ready for the next day.

Works like a charm.
All that any you didn't define your opinion of the proper amount of polish?

Throw us a bone!?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Can’t speak for jtom but guessing nothing is wrong with his Centennials. He just wants another set.

I have at least a dozen sets all bought because I thought they were a bit different. The cue ball collecting thread is amazing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BTW if you want to sell the old ball set pm me, I understand you want new balls....LOL

Be the old set is going yellowish, that is what they do.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom,

I would suggest the Cyclop in the traditional colors. They play great.

I have a set and when I take it to the Pool room no one complains.

With my other sets there is always some comment.

Bill Stroud

I was in Vegas at Griffs a couple of weeks ago. I liked the looks of the Hyperion balls but I haven’t seen them in traditional colors. In the two days I was there I had one bad skid.

bstroud

Deceased
Tom,

I think the Cyclop balls play more like the Centennials than anything else.
Stay clean and a lot less skids than the Aramiths.

Bill Stroud

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Saluc makes Centennials as OEM for Brunswick. Centennials were on par with Super Pro Aramith in terms of phenolic and quality. Only practical different is design and price (Brunswick brand tax).

Duramith are made of a 5th generation phenolic, and the heat treatment makes the balls hard as glass, so they resist wear longer and stay cleaner longer. The next run of Brunswick Centennials could be made from this, if so, it will be reflected in the price.

I have no experience with Cyclop, but heard the originals were based on an old Hyatt formulation (over 30 years old) and considered 3rd generation phenolic by Aramith. The new ones may have improved.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Centenial's are my favorite balls but that one ball will wear down and make it hard for racking correctly. If you can find decent replacement balls (highly unlikely) then you can use them a long time. Pilot likes to experiment with different balls and cues and a couple of cues I've seen him play with would look nice in my collection. That three piece CF cue he had a couple of years ago is NICE. It breaks down and fits in standard luggage.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Centenial's are my favorite balls but that one ball will wear down and make it hard for racking correctly. If you can find decent replacement balls (highly unlikely) then you can use them a long time. Pilot likes to experiment with different balls and cues and a couple of cues I've seen him play with would look nice in my collection. That three piece CF cue he had a couple of years ago is NICE. It breaks down and fits in standard luggage.

All you home users:. When playing rotation canes, swap out the 1b for a hi# stripe. You can make that ball any of the unused ones, presuming you aren't playing full rack.

Yuh know? Keeps the 1 from taking all the beatings.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me pick a new set.

I have a lightly used 20 year old set of Centennials that I take to the pool room. I’m thinking of my Christmas present to myself.

Cyclop Hyperion. Colors a bit goofy but play nice
Aramith Tournament. Not sure which color. Is the new Durimith better
Predator Arcos2. I’ll have to wait on those. Highest percentage of phenolic resin. Is that better than the Durimith?

No ball set reacts quite as crisply as a Cent. set. You can tell by the sound. Aramith Super Pro's or whatever is what I'm playing with now. They have a different sound and different feel than the Cents. Not better or worse, just different.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No ball set reacts quite as crisply as a Cent. set. You can tell by the sound. Aramith Super Pro's or whatever is what I'm playing with now. They have a different sound and different feel than the Cents. Not better or worse, just different.

My super pros are incredibly clingy, compared to cyclop set.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My super pros are incredibly clingy, compared to cyclop set.

Ok, yeah, more so, I just didn't want to immediately complain. I use Aramith ball cleaner, I've been happy with the results. I try to use as little as possible to get the job done. Its like, is the car wash good for your paint job? Probably not, but I don't want to drive around in a dirty car.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I almost exclusively use my cyclop balls. They stay cleaner longer. My aramith balls get a light coating of chalk dust in 1/2 the time. I can’t tell the difference otherwise. Any set will be good. Don’t over think it.

-td

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The weird thing about Centennial balls is that in my travels around the country is I’ve found more undersized centennials than any other brand. The most common undersized balls I’ve found are the 4 and 6, then 2 and 7. I know that’s strange but that what I’ve found in many different rooms. I’ll probably want the newer phenolic formula balls. I’m curious if the Hyperion and Durimith, and maybe the new Predator balls have newest phenolic compound.