Has anyone else noticed how certain cues are sold Multiple times as Monster Hitters

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
:grin-devilish:Hey guys has anyone else noticed that certain cues are bought and re-sold in a very short period of time, however, they are always listed as being Monster Hitters or the best cue they ever owned.:shrug::help::grin-devilish: Now to me personally how can this be possible, if a cue is all that WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

I am kinda getting tired of reading thought the for sale / for trade threads and seeing this Bullshit. Don't people realize that all they are doing is endorsing a Cue / Cue Maker that they really don't like? Then to add insult to injury many claim that they really do not want to sell it, but they really need the $300 or $400 right now or that they have too cues and the wife says a few have to go. Here again who is going to sell the best hitting cue they ever owned:confused:

I think it would be refreshing if people were just honest, and said something like this is nice cue, but it is just not for me, now is that so hard??? Now I know that if all the Bullshit is not added you think that you may not get a response, well I doubt that all the bullshit really effects anything except how others view you when they read your thread.;) !!!!!!!:yeah :grin-devilish:

Lets face it people Honesty is the best policy, and the long and short of it all is that you are really fooling no one anyway, well except maybe yourself!!!!!:smile:

Last edited:

KeeFy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys has anyone else noticed that certain cues are bought and re-sold in a very short period of time, however, they are always listed as being Monster Hitters or the best cue they ever owned.:shrug::help::grin-devilish: Now to me personally how can this be possible, if a cue is all that WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

I am kinda getting tired of reading thought the for sale / for trade threads and seeing this Bullshit. Don't people realize that all they are doing is endorsing a Cue / Cue Maker that they really don't like? Then to add insult to injury many claim that they really do not want to sell it, but they really need the $300 or $400 right now or that they have too cues and the wife says a few have to go. Here again who is going to sell the best hitting cue they ever owned:confused:

I think it would be refreshing if people were just honest, and said something like this is nice cue, but it is just not for me, now is that so hard??? Now I know that if all the Bullshit is not added you think that you may not get a response, well I doubt that all the bullshit really effects anything except how others view you when they read your thread.;) !!!!!!!:yeah:grin-devilish:

Lets face it people Honesty is the best policy, and the long and short of it all is that you are really fooling no one anyway, well except maybe yourself!!!!!:smile:

Tap tap tap. :thumbup:

I as well for one always wondered when someone says "It's the best hitting cue i ever had/played with." If so, why in the world did you sell it? If it's for financial reasons, I can understand, but when you see the same guy buying other high end cues, you have to really wonder what kind of bull they're talking about.

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn Craig, tell us how you really feel! Just kiddin'. I couldn't agree with you more! Good post.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
:grin-devilish:Hey guys has anyone else noticed that certain cues are bought and re-sold in a very short period of time, however, they are always listed as being Monster Hitters or the best cue they ever owned.:shrug::help::grin-devilish: Now to me personally how can this be possible, if a cue is all that WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

I think it would be refreshing if people were just honest, and said something like this is nice cue, but it is just not for me, now is that so hard??? Now I know that if all the Bullshit is not added you think that you may not get a response, well I doubt that all the bullshit really effects anything except how others view you when they read your thread.;) !!!!!!!:yeah :grin-devilish:

Lets face it people Honesty is the best policy, and the long and short of it all is that you are really fooling no one anyway, well except maybe yourself!!!!!

well Craig,

since so many here think "hit" is subjective i guess claiming a cue for sale is a monster hitter isn't really telling a lie now is it....someones bound to think the cue hits great "for them"....:rolleyes:........you know i'm being sarcastic right.....:smile:

skins -------------- knows that those who really know cues realize that hit is only subjective to those who really don't know the difference........

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post

Thank you for saying what I am sure a lot of people have thought about before.Honest post.Rep for you.

Last edited:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
I kinda see your point. I am tempted though see it another way. We know hit is subjective. That would clearly explain that one person might sell a cue within a very short time of aquiring it. The cue might have a very solid it, or a hard it, or insert your hit discriptor word here. I think I person would be very tempted to move a new cue despite liking the hit for many reasons.

Most recently I sold an awesome "monster hitting" Richard Harris after only having it for a week. The reasons were the cue was about 8 or 9 oz to heavy and the shafts were about 6 or 7 mm to wide. The cue was a great, hitting cue, I was just not able/willing to make the adjustments.

I think much less cues would trade hands if everyone hit with a cue before they bought it. I have bought so many cues without trying the hit before hand. Guess what, I don't own any of them anymore. The next cue I order will be from the maker of my current player (blackcreek), love the hit. I probably wouldnt be selling that one so quickly after buying it.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree for the most part. That's why when I'm buying a cue I pay attention not to subjective opinion, but to the facts: who made it, what's the weight, balance pt, tip, is it straight, etc. I'll worry about whether it's a monster hitter or whatever, and really I just skip over all that fluff to begin with.

On the other side of the coin, some guys (like, ahem, myself) can't really afford to have more than one cue at a time. I've been through a lot of cues just because I always seem to like something new. That means I've sold a few cues that I've really liked a lot, and if so I do mention it in the listing. There's a few cues I've sold I'd really love to have back, and so having listed them as a great player with great feel, etc, etc, isn't a lie by any means. But when there's only room in the stable for one horse...

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I couldn't agree with you more!Tap...Tap...Tap.You have said what I'm sure many have wanted to say but didn't.I'm one and I thank you Craig.Some green for you!:thumbup:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda see your point. I am tempted though see it another way. We know hit is subjective. That would clearly explain that one person might sell a cue within a very short time of aquiring it. The cue might have a very solid it, or a hard it, or insert your hit discriptor word here. I think I person would be very tempted to move a new cue despite liking the hit for many reasons.

Most recently I sold an awesome "monster hitting" Richard Harris after only having it for a week. The reasons were the cue was about 8 or 9 oz to heavy and the shafts were about 6 or 7 mm to wide. The cue was a great, hitting cue, I was just not able/willing to make the adjustments.

I think much less cues would trade hands if everyone hit with a cue before they bought it. I have bought so many cues without trying the hit before hand. Guess what, I don't own any of them anymore. The next cue I order will be from the maker of my current player (blackcreek), love the hit. I probably wouldnt be selling that one so quickly after buying it.

I think you bring up another good and to expand on it, people's tastes change. My preferred playing weight has gone from 21oz in my very beginning days, to 19.25oz, and has since creeped down to the point that I'm now under 18.5oz. Cues that I used to love at 18.7/18.8oz now are just too heavy for me. Similarly, my shaft preference has gone from 12mm to about 12.6mm. What I used to shoot with and love now feels like twigs, and what once felt like logs now are perfect.

My favorite player ever I recently sold because the shafts were now just too small--my tastes had changed. I didn't use any fluff while selling it, but I very well could have called it my favorite cue ever and it wouldn't have been a lie. It just wasn't my cue for the moment, and I couldn't afford to have multi-hundred dollar pieces of wood sitting around unused in my house, so I sold it, very regretfully.

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
well Craig,

since so many here think "hit" is subjective i guess claiming a cue for sale is a monster hitter isn't really telling a lie now is it....someones bound to think the cue hits great "for them"....:rolleyes:........you know i'm being sarcastic right.....:smile:

skins -------------- knows that those who really know cues realize that hit is only subjective to those who really don't know the difference........

It's funny this topic came up tonight. I was just at my buddy's house earlier hitting different cues and we were talking about the "hit" and how each person quatifies the feel of the hit being good or bad, etc.

We had a few Scruggs cues, a couple of Jacobys, a Carolina Custom, Schons and was hitting balls with each of them. Each cue had it's own personal "hit" .......... the way it felt, the way it sounded, etc. The Scruggs cues hit very similiar to each other, the Carolina hit very similiar to the Scruggs cues, the Jacobys were a softer hit, especially the one with the radial pin. I personally am growing to love the crisper hit like the Scruggs and Carolina had, I used to prefer the softer wood to wood type of hit that I had with my McDermotts and my Diveney but I know some people describe that type of the feel of the hit as "dead" :confused: but that is what I used to prefer. The Schons have always felt too crisp and tingy to me personally but some people LOVE the feel of the Schon's hit.

For people that haven't had the opportunity to hit a bunch of various cues, especiallly several different brands and types at the same time to really feel the difference, see if you can sometime, it's a real eye opener.:thumbup:

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
almost as many "monster hit" cues are offered as the "super rare" cues. i prefer my cues medium rare thank you.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I see where you are coming from.....But...I have just traded one cue that has been the best hitting cue I have ever hit with. The reason I traded this cue....because i felt I was getting the better deal, and I have 2 cues that are coming from one top notch cuemaker in the hopes that these 2 cues will be better. So, I was willing to trade the absolute best hitting cue I have ever had, in the hopes that the cue cues coming to me soon will be better. I may or may not get a better, cue....but, I still feel as though my deal (for me in this trade) was exactly what I have been looking for in a case, and I didnt have to spend 1300-1500 that it cost to make this case new..

I was willing to let this cue go, in the hopes that the 2 new cues will be just as good if not better.

I guess I am just trying to find that "Perfect" cue...I may have just let it go, but im hoping whats due to arrive shortly will be better.......if that makes any sense..

The person that I traded the cue to thinks he got the best deal....so in my situation, we both came out ahead in our eyes. But, ask my wife, I am kicking myself in the tail for getting rid of it....but I think in the long run, I will come out with exactly what I have been wanting all along..at least I have my fingers crossed....

Last edited:

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey

Craig.....how about earth rattling, universe mangling, pocket smashing, kryptonite laced...hahahahahahah

I notice the guys who sling this crap arent on here....hmmmmmm
Steve

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Power of advertising....

This doesn't really bother me because I understand hit is subjective, but what really gets me hot is I can never seem to find a fast food joint that sells burgers like they advertise on TV...:grin-devilish:

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always wondered why you'd get rid of the best player you ever had unless you were desperate as well........however, hit being subjective is definitely an issue. A friend of mine has a Bender he loves and I hate. I traded a Scruggs SP for a Stacey and found what I personally think is the best cue I've ever shot with. He hated it, I love it.
Subjective......but still.......why did you sell that cue?

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member
Thanks for making me shoot soda out my nose Snowmon!!!
BTW....appreciate the thoughts Craig. I'm sure a lot of us wonder the same thing to ourselves. I'm also sure that sometimes people are forced to sell their favorite cues, cars, or whatever toy it may be out of real need. Without trying to speak for you, I'm pretty sure that you are not referring to those individuals.

Grumpy

Senior Citizen
Silver Member
Another thing I wonder about is; What if I really don't want to hit any monsters? I would rather have a solid playing cue. :confused::confused::confused:
PLEASE READ THE NEXT LINE DOWN

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Not interested in Monster cues right now as I'm at my limit, but I will buy that sweety in your avatar in a second, Lee.

MikesCues048

Cues 4 Christ
Silver Member
Different cue hits

I have several great hitting,playing cues too.
My preferences have changed as my style & level of playing ability has increased.
I now play with a Richard Harris Cocobola cue that weighs 19.4 oz.

Before that I played with my Ebony BellaSera with a G-10 pin that I co-designed @ 18.77oz. with the special 30" Varney shaft that I had built for it.

Before that a 6 pt. Ebony Ariel Carmelli that weighs 18.7oz.

The difference is I still have all of these cues, along with several others.
It depends on the game you are playing too.
All of these cues hit & play great to me.
I guess it boils down to personal preferences as to what really is the "Magic Wand" for you.

Thank you & God bless,
Michael