a waste of time

adibon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Salam ,

Here is the case in a snooker game : player A's score is 100 points while player B's score is 0 . Does the frame continue ? How much longer ?

Do you not consider the frame is a waste of time if it goes on as a :
1 - player who is ahead 100 points on the frame
2 - player who is behind 100 points on the frame
3 - referee
4 - match management
5 - spectator

Wity

Banned
Asked and answered in your other thread.

The rules of snooker are fine as they are. Nobody needs rush it's not a timed game nor does a frame drag on for hours, and it certainly no where near it's predecesor english billiards that became so boring virtually the entire rule book was re wrote.

The only daft thing about the pro game is the wearing of bow ties.

adibon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asked and answered in your other thread.

The rules of snooker are fine as they are. Nobody needs rush it's not a timed game nor does a frame drag on for hours, and it certainly no where near it's predecesor english billiards that became so boring virtually the entire rule book was re wrote.

The only daft thing about the pro game is the wearing of bow ties.

What does a player wear instead of those bow ties ?

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two players at the snooker table.

Both are entitled to continue play until the last ball is potted or one player concedes

If you continue playing, instead of conceding, when you know you cannot win, you are a fool.

If you opponent continues playing when he knows his situation is hopeless, he looks pathetic to the audience and tells you that he is desperate.

Wity

Banned
"What does a player wear instead of those bow ties ? "

Whatever they want. A mini skirt and frilly knickers for all i care. :D

The dress code may be considered traditional as it originates from the officers mess but lets face it it's a joke, theres no other game or sport that has such silly rules.

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10.1 In keeping with the prestige of the Championship a strict dress code will be enforced. A long sleeve shirt buttoned at the wrist, vest, bow tie, dark pants and dark shoes must be worn by the players for all matches. No jeans, sneakers or other sporting or casual wear will be permitted.

adibon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Whatever they want. A mini skirt and frilly knickers for all i care. :D

The dress code may be considered traditional as it originates from the officers mess but lets face it it's a joke, theres no other game or sport that has such silly rules.

Viva Wity . I get one positive vote regarding " billiard's rule change " ?

adibon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10.1 In keeping with the prestige of the Championship a strict dress code will be enforced. A long sleeve shirt buttoned at the wrist, vest, bow tie, dark pants and dark shoes must be worn by the players for all matches. No jeans, sneakers or other sporting or casual wear will be permitted.

It is siad to be for every player (men- ladies -young - old - Persian - Irish -white - black ) through out the world . We need all parts of the billiard's rule to be clear like this one .

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you are Stephen Maguire and get some doctor to write you a note so you don't have to ever wear a bow-tie.

Wity

Banned
Doctors notes would be far more common if they had to wear shirts with collars that were actually their size. Most of them seem to have big loose collars so they are not irritated by the stupid ties.

WilliamK

Registered

The dress code may be considered traditional as it originates from the officers mess but lets face it it's a joke, there's no other game or sport that has such silly rules.

Discussions for laxing the dress regulations have been going on for years and there has always been a nouveau(?) group saying that it's time for a change. Until recently I was undecided on this and it was snooker being put under the microscope by bad press that has decided it for me...

Not only due to snooker recently getting bad press about match fixing and crooked betting, but the sport has always been generally associated with mis-spent youth, bad boys, smoke filled rooms and pool halls have always been dens of iniquity. Let's face it... it's true!

Since Robertson won this year's title there has been a lot of new promotion for the sport and one ad that I noticed sported 3 images, two images of players at the table doing their stuff in regulation dress and a third image of another player most probably playing a final with many of the players and referees standing around watching. Well the only guy in the pic that had white shirt, vest and bow tie was in the audience and all the other players who had finished/dropped out were in more casual attire. The player at the table did have shirt and vest but the shirt was a royal blue. Well the overall impression of that group was "what a mottley looking group of reprobates!"

Is that how we want our sport to be seen?

A light coloured shirt and vest with/without bow tie does wonders for everyone's appearance and also shows your respect for the event, the organizers and the other players!

Last edited:

Wity

Banned
........ Let's face it... it's true!

Of course it's true. And it'll not change in our lifetime either so why pretend its a game played by gentlemen members of some upper class private club wearing tuxedos just because it originated in the officers mess. It's a farce. As is calling it a sport when there is yet to be a dictionary writen classing it as one.

A light coloured shirt and vest with/without bow tie does wonders for everyone's appearance and also shows your respect for the event, the organizers and the other players!

If that were a universal feeling we would have have the 100 metres in the Olympics run in brogues and a tuxedo.

If you want to think of the game as a sport then think of it as a sportsman, wear whats suitable, comfortable, affordable and does not hinder your game. Many an amature player does not enter competitions because of the expense of the dress code and i'm sure i'm not the only one who finds a collar and tie the most irritating pieces of clothing ever invented.

I respect what a player does with his cue and his behaviour. Sod what he wears as long as it's not offensive.

Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered
Many an amature player does not enter competitions because of the expense of the dress code and i'm sure i'm not the only one who finds a collar and tie the most irritating pieces of clothing ever invented.

What's expensive about a pair of dark coloured trousers and a light coloured shirt with long sleeves (vests can be picked up from St.Vinnies for a couple of dollars)?

Everyone should already have these!

As for not having a dress standard at all, most people have no dress sense or idea what they actually look like and will mostly assume that they look good all the time... even when they look like a serial killer :)

What I like about a long sleeved shirt is that it reminds me that I am playing competition and that more than likely there is a referee behind me.

What I like about playing in a vest is that it helps to keep my shirt from touching the balls (and fouling).

Wity

Banned

What's expensive about a pair of dark coloured trousers and a light coloured shirt with long sleeves (vests can be picked up from St.Vinnies for a couple of dollars)?

and a £500 plane ticket to the nearest store down under :D

What i was thinking of when i mentioned expense was a post on another forum where the guy said he couldn't afford to enter a certain competition where they insisted on black shoes and trousers a long sleeved shirt and waistcoat. typical cost of such being £70+ over here. Thats fair critisism in my book not everyone is working in an office and has such as "standard".

I've never actually seen a waistcoat for sale without the rest of the suit anywhere ever till i looked on ebay just (£15 or so)

Everyone should already have these!

I dont. I took great pleasure in throwing away my suits shirts and ties the day i retired, since then i've worn out all my trousers and shoes and only bought short sleeve shirts, t shirts jeans chinos and trainers. S'pose i'll buy a suit next for a funeral, i've got a black armband for the mugs who get married.

As for not having a dress standard at all, most people have no dress sense or idea what they actually look like and will mostly assume that they look good all the time... even when they look like a serial killer :)

If most people look like crap then it must follow that most people couldn't care less what others look like.

What I like about a long sleeved shirt is that it reminds me that I am playing competition and that more than likely there is a referee behind me.

... even though you run the risk of your cuff fouling a ball. Very practical i'm sure :rolleyes:

I'm sure i'd know if i were playing in a competition and there was a referee, not that it would make the slightest difference.

What I like about playing in a vest is that it helps to keep my shirt from touching the balls (and fouling).

What i like about wearing say a polo shirt, jeans, and trainers is that the short sleeves will never foul a ball nor will the rest of the shirt if its not baggy. The ticket pocket in the jeans is ideal for my chalk, the soles on my trainers ensure i dont slip on a wooden floor as i cock my leg up on the table (can be bloody painfull as i well remember playing in brogues on such a floor once) I'm far more comfortable nor am I resticted in play one bit.

Everyone DOES already have these!

Well almost everyone who plays snooker does. Dont think Boy George plays does he?

Anyways what really looks smarter? a polo shirt, 'n jeans or an unshaven ronnie o sullivan with a load of adverts on his waiscoat?

Last edited: