The Mighty Miz

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I loved Steve Mizerak. He was my friend. This is hard for me right now.
I knew he was ill and the end was near. I just didn't want to hear this.
I'm glad he touched so many lives. Such an outpouring from so many people.

Steve was the benchmark by which other pool players were measured. In his prime, from the late 1960's thru the 1980's, Steve was considered by his peers to be the best player on the planet. He was always the man to beat in the tournaments of that day. His competition included, Buddy, Sigel, Rempe, Hopkins and Varner, but Steve, he was THE MAN!

I worked many tournaments during this time and can honestly never recall a problem with Steve. He showed up on time, played his match and never complained about anything. Just tell him the rules, show him the table and let him go. And go he did, reigning supreme over the Kingdom of Pool. In form, Steve played the game at a level few have ever witnessed. Great command of the cue ball, effortless shotmaking and total compusure were his hallmarks.

Steve literally wore out a lot of poolplayers. After a match with Steve, players looked like they had been through the ringer. He not only beat them, he devastated them. You think you can play safes, okay take this. You think you're a shotmaker, watch this. Oh, you like to roll out for banks, thank you, bam! Whatever your game, Steve was better. He had no weaknesses on the pool table.

I can't think of a game that he didn't excel in. Straight Pool, simply the best. Nine Ball, right there with Buddy and Sigel, and a slight favorite I might add. One Pocket, look out, he was running out. He won his share of these tournaments too, let's not forget. Even at Three Cushion, poolplayer Steve could give fits to the best American players. In practice he beat many of them. The esteemed Allen Gilbert once said that if Steve decided to concentrate on Three Cushion, the other players might as well hang up their cues.

The funny thing is, when Steve and I would visit we rarely talked about pool. We would discuss family or business or real estate. He was very intelligent and inquisitive. I'm not surprised that he became as successful off the table as on. When asked a question, Steve would become contemplative, searching his mind for the best answer. When he had it, he would look you directly in the eye and respond slowly and with certainty.

Steve was not one to mince words. He would speak his mind with confidence, kind of like the way he played pool. His one weakness was the "knife and fork" as McGorty used to say. He couldn't pass up a good meal, or two. So many times I beseeched him to go on a diet and he always said he would. I had ulterior motives. I wanted to see his best game again.

Steve got his start at his fathers poolroom, and Steve Sr. was a terrific player himself, winning the New Jersey State Championships more than once. Steve's mentor was none other than Willie Mosconi, a friend of Steve's dad. Steve was Willie's protege and he passed the torch to Steve, who kept it burning brightly for many years. Now it is out and maybe a new torch bearer will emerge this week, fittingly in New Jersey.

I loved Steve Mizerak. He was my friend.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap, Jay.

I have noted my vote for Mosconi as the greatest I've ever seen on several threads. Thinking back, I may have to reconsider that position. Steve was just so good at so many games . . . . .

A terrible loss to the world. My condolences to his family and close friends.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Cool post, Jay.

I never knew Steve was a Mosconi protege or a top three cushion player.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ScottR said:
Tap, tap, tap, Jay.

I have noted my vote for Mosconi as the greatest I've ever seen on several threads. Thinking back, I may have to reconsider that position. Steve was just so good at so many games . . . . .

A terrible loss to the world. My condolences to his family and close friends.

You know Scott. One small thing I would add about Mizerak the pool player. I don't think I ever saw anyone hit the pockets with such authority. I mean, he would pound balls in the hole sometimes, and annihilate the rack.

Cornbread is the only other player I can remember who hit game balls so hard. And Steve had a stronger stroke, than anyone!

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
You know Scott. One small thing I would add about Mizerak the pool player. I don't think I ever saw anyone hit the pockets with such authority. I mean, he would pound balls in the hole sometimes, and annihilate the rack.

Cornbread is the only other player I can remember who hit game balls so hard. And Steve had a stronger stroke, than anyone!
This brought a smile to my face. He did pocket them with authority, didn't he! Even his wing shots during exhibitions were zinging in the corner; pop, pop, pop. :D

Tarantula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Steve was the benchmark by which other pool players were measured. In his prime, from the late 1960's thru the 1980's, Steve was considered by his peers to be the best player on the planet. He was always the man to beat in the tournaments of that day. His competition included, Buddy, Sigel, Rempe, Hopkins and Varner, but Steve, he was THE MAN!

I worked many tournaments during this time and can honestly never recall a problem with Steve. He showed up on time, played his match and never complained about anything. Just tell him the rules, show him the table and let him go. And go he did, reigning supreme over the Kingdom of Pool. In form, Steve played the game at a level few have ever witnessed. Great command of the cue ball, effortless shotmaking and total compusure were his hallmarks.

Steve literally wore out a lot of poolplayers. After a match with Steve, players looked like they had been through the ringer. He not only beat them, he devastated them. You think you can play safes, okay take this. You think you're a shotmaker, watch this. Oh, you like to roll out for banks, thank you, bam! Whatever your game, Steve was better. He had no weaknesses on the pool table.

I can't think of a game that he didn't excel in. Straight Pool, simply the best. Nine Ball, right there with Buddy and Sigel, and a slight favorite I might add. One Pocket, look out, he was running out. He won his share of these tournaments too, let's not forget. Even at Three Cushion, poolplayer Steve could give fits to the best American players. In practice he beat many of them. The esteemed Allen Gilbert once said that if Steve decided to concentrate on Three Cushion, the other players might as well hang up their cues.

The funny thing is, when Steve and I would visit we rarely talked about pool. We would discuss family or business or real estate. He was very intelligent and inquisitive. I'm not surprised that he became as successful off the table as on. When asked a question, Steve would become contemplative, searching his mind for the best answer. When he had it, he would look you directly in the eye and respond slowly and with certainty.

Steve was not one to mince words. He would speak his mind with confidence, kind of like the way he played pool. His one weakness was the "knife and fork" as McGorty used to say. He couldn't pass up a good meal, or two. So many times I beseeched him to go on a diet and he always said he would. I had ulterior motives. I wanted to see his best game again.

Steve got his start at his fathers poolroom, and Steve Sr. was a terrific player himself, winning the New Jersey State Championships more than once. Steve's mentor was none other than Willie Mosconi, a friend of Steve's dad. Steve was Willie's protege and he passed the torch to Steve, who kept it burning brightly for many years. Now it is out and maybe a new torch bearer will emerge this week, fittingly in New Jersey.

Such great words to say about Steve. I did not get to know him well, but he was always very nice to me. He will be missed... :-(

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, Great Post,
You're articulate , you said it right.
Bill