Gambling with Steve

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in college at Western KY. in Bowling Green, KY Steve use to come in town on weekends and plan 9 ball with the owner of the pool room, Johnny Edwards, they played on a 4x8 and the action went back and forth, Steve wanted to play on a 4.5x9, but Johnney would not move. This was in 1966, when Steve was going to college in Alabama.

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OH Yea!

I sweated some of that action Miz had a loaded up break cue wt. about 25 oz. He was absolutely crushing the balls with it. They had played 2 or 3 sets Miz had beat Johnny all three. The adjustment they made was Miz had to break off the wall. The Miz won that set an it was over. The Miz was just a youngster then. He played in bermuda shorts, tennis shoes an a sweat shirt with the sleeves cut out. He put on quite a show that day.
I know they played several times an that day was probably the last.
Sammy Jones worked in Johnny"s pool room an probably spent a lot more time there than he did in class.
Pinocchio

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gambling with Steve

I use to play at a small room by the high school, somethings I would go to Johnnys, I know Sammy Jones and the other guy that worked for him. Johnny could usually beat a lot of players on the 4x8. I went to Johnson city to watch Edwards play, but he had a tough time on the 4.5x9. where do you live now

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ppm

Yea I saw Cornbread give Johnny the wild 8 at Johnson city I think they
played 4 sets broke dead even.

Pinocchio

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"the sorghum man"

Back in the late 60s, Steve came to my home town of Jackson Tn. and played the owner of Buddies Pool Room, Cecil Maxwell. Cecil was a fair 9-ball and one pocket player and played excellent banks. Well, he and Steve played 6-ball with Steve giving Cecil the 5. They were playin 2-shot foul so Steve would play a safe break,lagging the cue ball to the side rail and behind the rack. Cecil would roll down to the end rail and somehow Steve would fire into the 1 and make a ball nearly every time! After he busted Cecil and all the sweaters,{me incuded} he gave him a gallon of sorghum. We didn't know who he was, but therafter he was konwn as the "Sorghum Man". That can of Sorghum sat on a shelf in the pool room for 40 years. I'm sure it finally turned into sugar.