Winners / Losers side bracket question

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 3 on the winners side.

Race to 2 on the losers side

A player battles back from the losers side to play for 1 & 2 spot.

Is it back to a race to 3?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

It's whatever the tournament director wants it to be.

But, as a general rule, in the finals, both players race to the same amount of games each set, regardless of whether they are in the winner's / loser's bracket.And it sure wouldn't be fair to make it a race to 2 for the winner, so that pretty much mandates it being a race to 3.

And again, whether it is a single race to 3, winner take all, or two sets, with a race to 3 for the first set, and a race to 2 for the second set, is 100% on the tournament director.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,

At one of the places I frequent, the B side player has to win twice and then 3 more times.

Just wondering.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,

At one of the places I frequent, the B side player has to win twice and then 3 more times.

Just wondering.

Really can't do it 100% equitably. Best that can be done is to have the finals' terms known by all participants at event start.

You've got one player that hasn't lost yet and should be going to 3.
You've got another player that lost once and should be going to 2...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In the tournament I run it is a double elimination finals with a longer race first then the shorter race. I think normally it is done that way if it's not a single elimination final.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,

Just wondering.

That makes absolutely no sense. Is this an actual pool hall or a bar with non-players doing the tournament? I don't know of any "player" that would come up with that rule, even if it's a race to 1.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes absolutely no sense. Is this an actual pool hall or a bar with non-players doing the tournament? I don't know of any "player" that would come up with that rule, even if it's a race to 1.

It makes sense in terms of games...not sets or matches.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
YMMV, if I was running the tournament it would be a race to 3 for the first match. Player B in the hot seat hasn't lost.

If Player B loses, then the second match would be race to 2 since both players have lost.

Any other, such as both being a race to 3 or a single race to X has to be expressed before the start of the match.