Any way to clean balls with NO ABRASIVES?

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically I want to be able to clean the balls and make them like new without wearing down the coating. My understanding is that the aramith cleaning liquid has abrasives, as does the magic eraser. Can I just do a damp microfiber cloth?

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use this in my home made ball polisher. Talk about "like new". It works better than the Aramith cleaner. I got mine at Seybert's.

Chem pak.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I put mine in the dishwasher before. That seemed to work out pretty good
I hope you were kidding. My dishwasher has been known to melt things.

Pool balls get scuffs, especially the cue ball. The surface is abraded such that a simple cleaning has no chance to restore it. You have to rearrange the material on the surface or remove some of it to restore a smooth surface.

If you're concerned about minimizing wear, start with mild soap and water and a microfiber cloth followed by a rinse and microfiber drying. When the balls have lost too much of their shine, use a little Aramith ball polish by hand and then do the rinse and dry.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use plain soap and water, and a soft towel. Or a spray cleaner like 409, Fantastic, etc. Finish off with the Aramith polish (by hand). Seems to work fine.

I consider certain pool items like balls, tips, shafts, cloth, etc, to be consumables, and when they wear out, l buy new ones. But I've yet to wear out a set of balls (gave one set away, when I got rid of my first table), and I've had a table in my house for more than 20 years.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you were kidding. My dishwasher has been known to melt things.

Pool balls get scuffs, especially the cue ball. The surface is abraded such that a simple cleaning has no chance to restore it. You have to rearrange the material on the surface or remove some of it to restore a smooth surface.

If you're concerned about minimizing wear, start with mild soap and water and a microfiber cloth followed by a rinse and microfiber drying. When the balls have lost too much of their shine, use a little Aramith ball polish by hand and then do the rinse and dry.

Thermoform plastics are known to start losing their structure at 120F. Some are better and maintain shape towards 200F. Sadly pool balls are not thermoform plastics, but thermoset plastics. Meaning your dishwasher by itself, should be incapable of damaging pool balls. Granted it’s still not a wise idea to do so.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Magic Eraser is abrasive, on the scale of 1500-2000 grit. You should never use ME to clean billiard balls. I don't know where you got the falsehood that Aramith Ball Cleaner is as abrasive as ME, but if you continue to, you're just denying yourself the option of a great product.

Aramith Ball Cleaner is the recommended solution from the manufacturer, so they may know a thing or two about their product. I used to just use dab, sparingly, and was generous with elbow grease with a damp towel.

Check out Dr. Dave's video on ball cleaning solutions. It was an eye opener, as the wax based ones will throw the ball, whereas Aramith does not.

Basically I want to be able to clean the balls and make them like new without wearing down the coating. My understanding is that the aramith cleaning liquid has abrasives, as does the magic eraser. Can I just do a damp microfiber cloth?

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic Eraser is abrasive, on the scale of 1500-2000 grit. You should never use ME to clean billiard balls. I don't know where you got the falsehood that Aramith Ball Cleaner is as abrasive as ME, but if you continue to, you're just denying yourself the option of a great product.

Aramith Ball Cleaner is the recommended solution from the manufacturer, so they may know a thing or two about their product. I used to just use dab, sparingly, and was generous with elbow grease with a damp towel.

Check out Dr. Dave's video on ball cleaning solutions. It was an eye opener, as the wax based ones will throw the ball, whereas Aramith does not.

Nowhere did I say that it was as abrasive as magic eraser

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

I have been using this for years and it works great. Liquid Turtle Wax car polish.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bear in mind that anything that is a "polish" is an abrasive. That's how polishes work.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Pool room or your home table?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Forget the polishes. They all contain a bit of abrasive, and a bit of wax. That's how they shine the balls.

Keep your equipment clean, cloth, pockets, and rails. Wipe the balls with either paper towel or microfiber, and water. That's all you need to do.

And every now and then, if you want to look at them, go ahead and give them the Aramith Ball Cleaner routine. But, realize, it's only a temporary shine, and not allowed in tournaments. I give mine that now and then, no need for alarm. But just wipe everything down with cloth and water. And vacuum those tables. Don't brush the dirt around.

All the best,
WW