whos this kid, and whats his age?

merylane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
found this while digging in old stuff.

his dad send this to rocky tillis a long time ago, who gave it to me almost 20 yrs ago.

Attachments

• pic from rocky.jpg
    pic from rocky.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,389

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PIRANHA said:
Looks Like A Young Miz????
When he was 18 or so, he was in a made-for-TV series that was a 14.1 round robin with Irving Crane and others. I guess this was around 1962. I saw some of the matches in reruns in 1971 or 1972. Mizerak won the event. I think the announcer was Curt Gowdy, but I could be confused by the fact that Steve and Curt died in the same year.

Anyway, it looks like the photo above could be from the set of that production.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
And Some Still Do

LOL....look at the tip on that cue Miz is holding....
Doug
( that's what mine always looked like ) :)

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
LOL....look at the tip on that cue Miz is holding....
Doug
( that's what mine always looked like ) :)
Makes me want some mushrooms!

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This picture gives me an idea. I have been dabling with photoshop trying to learn restoring of old photos. I have gotten pretty good at it. Look for my posted pic in the new future of a clean scratch free photo.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BryanMordt said:
Very well done! Great job!

Bryan

Thanks, I feel I may have over done the smoothing of the face but it really does look good when you compare the 2.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
When he was 18 or so, he was in a made-for-TV series that was a 14.1 round robin with Irving Crane and others. I guess this was around 1962. I saw some of the matches in reruns in 1971 or 1972. Mizerak won the event. I think the announcer was Curt Gowdy, but I could be confused by the fact that Steve and Curt died in the same year.

Anyway, it looks like the photo above could be from the set of that production.
OK, so I lied. The event was actually the Television Tournament of Champions. It was a single elimination to 75, presumably so they could fit it in a reasonable schedule. Irving Crane won the event and Mizerak finished second. This is mentioned in Robert Byrne's short biography of Mizerak that appears in Byrne's "Advanced Technique" book. It also mentions that Mizerak had run 100 by the time he was 13.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a backwards ball cap on him and he kind of resembles Brandon Shuff.....or Brandon resembles the MIZ.

telkwa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tjlmbklr said:

Not bad, but for more critical work, you may want to avoid using any of the auto-filters in Photoshop. Looks like a dust & scratch removal was applied (or did you just blur it on purpose?), which causes a distinct unsharpness and lack of grain.

Because the picture is so old, you probably don't want to sacrifice any of the detail in the image to clean up the scan as it isn't duplicable. Sorry for the negative feedback.

-Edit-

I also just noticed the removal of facial blemishes. Due to the type of photo this is - I feel that the more authentic the image, the better. For a young female subject... definitely. For an old photo of a legend, probably not. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
telkwa said:
Not bad, but for more critical work, you may want to avoid using any of the auto-filters in Photoshop. Looks like a dust & scratch removal was applied (or did you just blur it on purpose?), which causes a distinct unsharpness and lack of grain.

Because the picture is so old, you probably don't want to sacrifice any of the detail in the image to clean up the scan as it isn't duplicable. Sorry for the negative feedback.

-Edit-

I also just noticed the removal of facial blemishes. Due to the type of photo this is - I feel that the more authentic the image, the better. For a young female subject... definitely. For an old photo of a legend, probably not. Again, just my opinion.

I actually used no filters. I already stated that I "may have over did the smoothing of th face" I am still learning but thanks for the critique.