Shell Veneer Sheets

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have any of you guys used the shell veneer sheets from Masecraft to make stitch rings?

The sheets appear to be an acrylic overlay of actual shell. The acrylic is fairly thick while the shell is thin.

I would use this in a 3/16ths wide slot cut by pantograph into ebony.

If you cut this with a scroll saw, the acrylic melts and you do not get a clean cut.

Two questions-

1. Do I need to use a jeweler's saw to cut this into strips or can I use the pantograph?

2. Can I turn this with a router after it is glued into the ebony, then use various grades of sandpaper to make it clean and show the shell veneer?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have cut it using a bandsaw and it cut clean. Do you have some? If not, you can ask for a sample piece or 2. I have played a bit with those samples and found that it does sand/polish out well, then a finish/buffing makes it pop. Just have to make sure you insert it the correct way....I messed up one or two...lol
Dave

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have cut it using a bandsaw and it cut clean. Do you have some? If not, you can ask for a sample piece or 2. I have played a bit with those samples and found that it does sand/polish out well, then a finish/buffing makes it pop. Just have to make sure you insert it the correct way....I messed up one or two...lol
Dave

I have a small sheet of it and, I suppose, the scroll saw was moving too fast because the stuff melted back together. I will try the bandsaw. Will need to change blades because the one I have on it currently is fairly coarse.

Thanks for your help, Dave!

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talked to Masecraft about this problem. They said the main problem is going too fast.

Should be able to use a bandsaw, scroll saw, even a pantograph if you keep the speed down on moving through the product.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Talked to Masecraft about this problem. They said the main problem is going too fast.

Should be able to use a bandsaw, scroll saw, even a pantograph if you keep the speed down on moving through the product.

Thanks for sharing the follow up.
Dave

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting the strips is the least of your problems. Setting them into ebony and making a pass with a router sounds risky.

Mario

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting the strips is the least of your problems. Setting them into ebony and making a pass with a router sounds risky.

Mario

I may use my lathe and take light passes until it is close to the wood,, then sand down slowly.

I will have some trial pieces to cut on before I use this in the cue.

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
I had the same issue with these sheets and I turned the speed of my spindle down to 10 k rpms and it cutt the pieces no problem no melting....did the same with the router and no problems ...u may have to experiment with your router or spindle to find the sweet spot but it can be done.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the follow up.
Dave

Dave, I took a strip of the acrylic shell, applied double side tape to the back and, using the panto, I cut a straight line down the piece in ten thousandths cuts till I had a straight side. Then I moved over 195 thousandths and cut through again. That left me a couple thousandths to sand down to fit the slots in the ebony.

I have not turned them round yet but this is going good, so far.