Cases: Whitten vs. JB

Rooster1161

Registered
Looking at buying a new pool case, anyone have any suggestions, I have heard that Whitten and JB make good cases, does anyone know the difference between the two of them (not looking for a butterfly case)

Appreciate your input.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a couple JB cases and a few Whitten's. I am not a fan of the tight sleeves on the JB rugged. I don't beat up my case or cues, so the Whitten serves my needs better.

The Verbalist

. . .
Silver Member
Not really fair to compare them as they are two different styles of cases. In my opinion, the JB cases, are way more protective. The cues don't move inside the case at all because of JB's UltraPad interior and I love that. The actual process of getting the cues in and out takes a little getting used to and I find you have to be careful putting them in and out as not to bang them into the top of the cue next to them. Plus they need to go into the case in certain orders when loaded. With a Whitten, he still uses the tube style interior which has it pluses and minuses. Super easy to put in and take out of the tubes, but when in the case, they still rattle. They are not hitting each other, but the lined tubes, not a hazard in my opinion, just annoying. Whitten cases have a good amount of different colorways but are basically all the same styled case. Traditional and beautiful but not a ton of difference in the actual looks between one and another. JB on the other hand has a billion different styles, colors, materials, if you can think it, it seems he will try to make it. Plus you can go on his site and looks through the hundreds of different styles and arrangements he has to choose from. I have owned a good amount of both, I keep going back to JB's Rugged series, I really like the nylon cases. I like the light weight case but the protection is unparalleled in my opinion. They started out as a low cost case but they keep going up in price when you see them, but they are still worth the price to me. Good luck in whatever you choose as I don't think either is a wrong choice, they are just different. There are a lot of other cases out there, but the two you referenced are definitely two of the best.

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Looking at buying a new pool case, anyone have any suggestions, I have heard that Whitten and JB make good cases, does anyone know the difference between the two of them (not looking for a butterfly case)

Appreciate your input.

I don't like the "tight" fit tubes. The friction of pulling the butts in and out wears down the finish of the butts.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love my Whitten cases, but JB is right at the top (along with Justis) for larger cases and more carrying capacity.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
It's not a fair comparison because a Whitten case costs much more than a JB Rugged case, if you want a custom JB then I guess the price would be about the same. I have a couple of Whitten's and i would pick them every time over a JB case. I also have a JB rugged that I use for bars, it does what it's supposed to do. That being said I use my Melton every time.
Good luck.
Stan

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a JB Rugged and a Whitten.The JB is my weekly bar banger,the Whitten is my pretty one that would go to a friends basement table.Both are great cases.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I have a 2X4 rugged for storage, and this 3X6 Mason. Awesome cases, never seen a bad one, built like a tank. The Mason took 8 weeks from concept/first email order to delivery. Great service, great case!

Attachments

• Case One.jpg
    Case One.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 621
  • Case TWO.jpg
    Case TWO.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 626

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned multiples of both, though all my JBs have been ruggeds and not custom leather cases.

Whitten makes a very nicely built case that looks incredible when new. I think they're a great storage case at home but I really don't love playing out of them. First, the leather covering is pretty thin and tens to wear poorly in my experience. You can find pictures of scuffed up Whitten cases around and they don't look nice because they use thin heavily finished leathers. The tubes also allow the cues to move around more than I like the the pockets just aren't great to play out of in my experience. Finally, they have metal feet and are very slippery on non-carpeted floors so I find them less stable when leaning them in the corner.

JB cases are also great quality. They provide the ultimate in protection, though personally I wish the fit was a little less tight on a fully loaded case. But, I just always buy them slightly larger than I need and they work great for me. I've run the 3x4 as a 2x4 and that is perfect and I'm presently running a 4x8 as a 3x6 and it's also great and I can squeeze in another butt if I really want to. Honestly, they'll hold the full capacity, but they do get pretty snug. JB cases have a great pocket design that is really functional and a full rubber bottom so it never slips.

For me, JB wins all day long as I just find them so much better to actually carry and use on a regular basis. They're really well thought out designs for a player and not just made to look pretty.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned multiples of both, though all my JBs have been ruggeds and not custom leather cases.

Whitten makes a very nicely built case that looks incredible when new. I think they're a great storage case at home but I really don't love playing out of them. First, the leather covering is pretty thin and tens to wear poorly in my experience. You can find pictures of scuffed up Whitten cases around and they don't look nice because they use thin heavily finished leathers. The tubes also allow the cues to move around more than I like the the pockets just aren't great to play out of in my experience. Finally, they have metal feet and are very slippery on non-carpeted floors so I find them less stable when leaning them in the corner.

JB cases are also great quality. They provide the ultimate in protection, though personally I wish the fit was a little less tight on a fully loaded case. But, I just always buy them slightly larger than I need and they work great for me. I've run the 3x4 as a 2x4 and that is perfect and I'm presently running a 4x8 as a 3x6 and it's also great and I can squeeze in another butt if I really want to. Honestly, they'll hold the full capacity, but they do get pretty snug. JB cases have a great pocket design that is really functional and a full rubber bottom so it never slips.

For me, JB wins all day long as I just find them so much better to actually carry and use on a regular basis. They're really well thought out designs for a player and not just made to look pretty.
I have both and I store my best cues in the Whitten and JB carries my playing cues and is my my daily workhorse.

The Whitten case is kind of heavy and the I really don’t like the tubes that need to be plugged for different length cues. It’s doing a good job I’m my closet.

Save your self some money and get a JB case.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

Appreciate your input.

What cues do you own, and how much are they worth? That will help me make a suggestion. My $1000+ cues are in a Whitten. When I had a JB, it carried $300 and less cues. It’s kinda like asking when I wear my Tissot vs my Timex. Dressed up - nice watch. Yard work - Timex.

Rusty Melton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my Whitten case, the stitching and construction is top shelf all the way. I don't have a JB but they are really nice with a terrific warranty, you've got a tough choice and I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love my Whitten case, the stitching and construction is top shelf all the way. I don't have a JB but they are really nice with a terrific warranty, you've got a tough choice and I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

Not surprised to hear that you carry a Whitten, Rusty. I'm sure every time you have one of your cases completed you're getting too much pressure to sell them. :wink: :yeah: :grinning-moose: :thumbup:

+1 on the magnificent stitching on Whittens and l agree that both JB and Whitten make great quality cases.

best,
brian kc