Whining about apa

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read most of the posts in those apa threads and as usual when mentioning apa they ranged from logical to ludicrous. Apa has dq'd teams at nationals before and it did nkt cause the outrage on here as it has this year. I surmise its because of the false attention grabbing headline in short bus russ thread and the alledged victim who it turns out was not even playing on said team.

Most of the apa bashers i have conversed with in these types of threads admit their view is based on something that happened to them 20 years or so ago. Heard about it through the grapevine like short bus russ did and was more than likely erroneous like his post....and some admitted they are not familiar with apa and just stating the same eroneous crap they read on here.

Now i am sure some posters have had a bad experience playing apa .....well so have i several times. With 1640 matches in apa i have probably encountered every negative experience you guys have associated with apa and then some. The difference between you guys and myself is that i don't hold an entire organization for the actions of a few players.

Had a bad experience in apa so you quit ?

Following that logic i should never step into a pool hall again after having a couple bad experiences including having a knife pulled on me

I should never step foot in a bar after being thrown out and accused of being a hustler.

I should never play apa...bcapl....usapl again after encountering sandbaggers and assholes. I guess if i was to follow your logic that leaves buying a table and playng at home. Lets face it pool is full of assholes at every level and i am not going to bash a whole sub culture of players whether it be apa..bcapl. ...or real pool players as some like to call themselves based on the actions of a few.

Another view that has been posted many times is quit apa and join bca. When i read that statement i am left wondering 2 things . do they really knkw what they are talking about or just rehashing some one elses view ? Are they too lazy to type bcapl because bc has nothing to do with an amatuer league. Oh yea......forgot one.. Arr they an elitist ashole like the first bcapl captain i ever met.

I have mentioned thus before but i think it bears repeating since this subject of bcapl comes up every time apa is mentioned. I was playing in a bar ....guess it was about 16 years ago by now. After beating a guy several times he asks what league i play in..i replied i have never played league. He asks me to join his team. Turns out he was the co captain of a bcapl team. So i show up and he introduces me to the captain. The captain asks me the same....whats your handicap. Aint got one.....i have never played league. He asks the co captain....where did you meet him? Playing in a bar. Then the captain asks me....can you make a straight in shot ? Wtf ? I thought. I said sure. He says he does not need me. The co captain says....he is better than any one on the team. The captain replies....we still dont need him. The co captain apologizes to me and takes me to meet the lo who puts me on another team. I guess the co captain knew what he ss talking about because i won all 5 matches when i faced that team.

I leave you with this thought about handicaps at nationals. I have read several threads the last few w years about underhandicapped players at bcapl and usapl nationals and thwt some hing should be done about it. Now we have apa doing something about underhandicapped players and ya'll are bashing them. Dont make sense to me.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
The apa just needs to adopt Fargo rate, but keep their match format. The bca....pl does the single rack thing which is gross, so if they started doing real matches they might take all the apa customers. Like whichever one gets all the pieces right first will win.

I do think the apa is hurting serious pool though. It gives too many the option for soft play and people aren’t getting better. They take over entire pool rooms for people to bang balls around and yell about marking pockets and sandbagging and comparing innings. Ugh.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I quit VNEA after 2 years. Too many angry people and too many silly things like pocket marker fouls that just made it more work than fun to play. I play hard when I play, but league isn't supposed to be life or death or death-threats. So I walked.

It is and it isn't the VNEA's fault.

The rules are dumbed down to level the field and I understand that. Playing for 3-4 hours after working all day, one game at a time, with 40 minutes between each game just sucks the life out of it. You never get a chance to get into a groove. That part is the league itself. I understand why they do it, but I don't have the energy.

The way players take advantage of those rules to sneak in a win where they should have just sat in their chair the whole time is frustrating in a word. Combine that with alcohol and bad tempers on bad tables just pushes it that inch too far. That part is on the people and LOs.

Maybe one day I will return to barboxes outside of mini-tournaments, but it won't be this year.

JC

Coos Cues
I read most of the posts in those apa threads and as usual when mentioning apa they ranged from logical to ludicrous. Apa has dq'd teams at nationals before and it did nkt cause the outrage on here as it has this year. I surmise its because of the false attention grabbing headline in short bus russ thread and the alledged victim who it turns out was not even playing on said team.

Most of the apa bashers i have conversed with in these types of threads admit their view is based on something that happened to them 20 years or so ago. Heard about it through the grapevine like short bus russ did and was more than likely erroneous like his post....and some admitted they are not familiar with apa and just stating the same eroneous crap they read on here.

Now i am sure some posters have had a bad experience playing apa .....well so have i several times. With 1640 matches in apa i have probably encountered every negative experience you guys have associated with apa and then some. The difference between you guys and myself is that i don't hold an entire organization for the actions of a few players.

Had a bad experience in apa so you quit ?

Following that logic i should never step into a pool hall again after having a couple bad experiences including having a knife pulled on me

I should never step foot in a bar after being thrown out and accused of being a hustler.

I should never play apa...bcapl....usapl again after encountering sandbaggers and assholes. I guess if i was to follow your logic that leaves buying a table and playng at home. Lets face it pool is full of assholes at every level and i am not going to bash a whole sub culture of players whether it be apa..bcapl. ...or real pool players as some like to call themselves based on the actions of a few.

Another view that has been posted many times is quit apa and join bca. When i read that statement i am left wondering 2 things . do they really knkw what they are talking about or just rehashing some one elses view ? Are they too lazy to type bcapl because bc has nothing to do with an amatuer league. Oh yea......forgot one.. Arr they an elitist ashole like the first bcapl captain i ever met.

I have mentioned thus before but i think it bears repeating since this subject of bcapl comes up every time apa is mentioned. I was playing in a bar ....guess it was about 16 years ago by now. After beating a guy several times he asks what league i play in..i replied i have never played league. He asks me to join his team. Turns out he was the co captain of a bcapl team. So i show up and he introduces me to the captain. The captain asks me the same....whats your handicap. Aint got one.....i have never played league. He asks the co captain....where did you meet him? Playing in a bar. Then the captain asks me....can you make a straight in shot ? Wtf ? I thought. I said sure. He says he does not need me. The co captain says....he is better than any one on the team. The captain replies....we still dont need him. The co captain apologizes to me and takes me to meet the lo who puts me on another team. I guess the co captain knew what he ss talking about because i won all 5 matches when i faced that team.

I leave you with this thought about handicaps at nationals. I have read several threads the last few w years about underhandicapped players at bcapl and usapl nationals and thwt some hing should be done about it. Now we have apa doing something about underhandicapped players and ya'll are bashing them. Dont make sense to me.

APA is a bad joke. The rules are silly. The scoring is silly. It's not designed for pool players. It's designed for profits.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ya apa stinks
An apa player beat me out of the money in last nights tournament!

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Meh...

Until APA can figure out how to get players properly ranked BEFORE tournaments, instead of ranking-out people, and entire teams, en masse, once they get there, I'm not convinced...

Doesn't make playing (or even planning to play) worth the trouble.

Sure, once you get there you can arbitrarily volunteer to "preemptively" rank-up yourself/teammates (assuming it won't put you over the max, but it probably will), then, proceed to get your asses kicked because, although you've been properly keeping score, you've now opted to play at a higher SL than you really are... to avoid being "kicked out" for "playing too well"... Because apparently their system failed somewhere? No thanks. Again, not worth the trouble.

Basically, APA league night is convenient for me. It's close to home and it's a nice way to get out and play during the week. However, it should be left at that. The moment you start signing up for APA qualifiers, etc., it's like stepping into a rabbit hole. From team politics - usually centered around SL's, to ending in a colossal waste of time and effort, it's a huge setup for disappointment.

This has been my experience in the APA, and similiar experiences of an overwhelming number of APA members in my area that I've spoken to; far too many to simply be an outlier. Rather, it's the norm.

The introduction of Fargo Rate into their process is a good suggestion. However, APA's process is currently structured to maximize profit, and it likely won't change. Until then, I've done some digging recently and found there's numerous options for handicapped tournaments other than APA in my area. That's where I plan to focus any tournament efforts going forward, without fear that I'm completely wasting my time.

Last edited:

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh...

Until APA can figure out how to get players properly ranked BEFORE tournaments, instead of ranking-out people, and entire teams, en masse, once they get there, I'm not convinced.

Doesn't make playing (or even planning to play) worth the trouble.

Sure, as soon as you get there you can volunteer to "preemptively" rank-up yourself/teammates (assuming it won't put you over the max, which it probably will), then proceed to get your asses kicked because, although you've been properly keeping score, you've now opted to play at a higher SL than you really are... To avoid being "kicked out" of the tournament for "playing too well"? Because apparently their system failed somewhere? Again, not worth the trouble.

Basically, APA league night is convenient for me. It's close to home and it's a nice way to get out and play during the middle of the week. However, it should be left at that. The moment you start signing up for APA qualifiers, etc., it's like stepping into a rabbit hole and you're setting yourself up for disappointment and a colossal waste of your time.

This has been my experience in the APA, and the experience of an overwhelming number of APA members in my area that I've spoken to. Far too many to simply be an outlier. Rather, it's the norm.

The introduction of Fargo Rate into their process is a good suggestion. However, APA is currently setup as a money making machine, and it likely won't change. Until then, I've done some checking recently, and there's numerous other tournaments in my area I can focus my tournament efforts, without fear of completely wasting my time.

As an 18 year member of APA, I think I have seen it all. It appears that the bulk of *****ing and moaning is because of how SLs are set. I know some LO want to raise as many players as possible to get more teams, but usually, people just drop out of APA. Here’s an idea for setting SLs. Don’t raise a SL 5 to a six just because he beat 4 SL 4s in a row. Since APA doesn’t allow for ties, beating an equal or lesser SL shouldn’t have any impact on your SL, unless you are pitching shutouts. A SL 6 SHOULD be raised to a 7 if he is beating the 7s over half the matches. If you can’t beat higher level players at least half the time, how in hell can a LO say you are playing at that SL!!!! Defies logic, but I’ve seen it happen.