When asking questions about a pool table!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Look people, I know a lot of you think a pool table is just a pool table...but, when you write in a question asking about a certain problem, not all problems are the same, nor do they relate to all pool tables. So, when asking a mechanic for some advice about how to fix something, or what you should look for when buying a pool table, or to help solve a problem you're having with your pool table...a specific problem...it HELPS to know what kind of pool table you're talking about, that way we can give you better informed answers.

So, what kind of table do you have, who manufactured it, what model is it, I mean, if YOU don't know what you have...how are we suppose to know?

Submit some pictures if you have to as to what you have, at least then we have some kind of idea as to what you're talking about.

Glen, the "Realkingcobra"

PS. If I were an auto mechanic, and you called me up from I don't know where to tell me you drove your car to the store, and when you came out and got in your car to leave...but your car won't start...don't ask me why it won't start...because unless I know more about your car...how the hell should I know why your car won't start!!!

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can you help me with my table? The balls don't seem to want to drop into the pockets, I think there too tight.........
images.jpeg

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a question about my table and I have the exact model and information for you. Here is the link...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00617343000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

My issue is that when I have the table tennis top on it, it plays fine, but when I take it off and convert it to the pool table the balls don't roll absolutely perfect. I know it isn't the table, as I paid extra to get the full 1/2" plywood playing surface instead of only the 1/4" plywood surface (yeah, when it comes to pool, I spare no expense).

Any advice? :D

Baby PacMan

My bias makes me RIGHT!
Silver Member
I feel ashamed. I really am using a Sears special right now. I'm getting an Ohausen when tax time rolls around.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Is there that much difference between the Olhausen Reno (either L or V series) and the Belmont (Americana)?

Second, was checking out Olhausen tables at youtube and someone name checked you. You must really get around. (Assuming you're one and the same)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xapT1-1RM

The Reno L or V series will be a Laminate or Veneer finish on oak. The Americana series (including the Belmont) has a solid Tulipwood frame.

Cosmetically, the Belmont has some routing in the legs and frame, where the Reno is just flat. The Reno is available in all finishes, but the Belmont is only available in Cherry on Tulip. Belmont is also only available in 7/8 foot, but the Reno is available in all sizes.

Also, I believe the Belmont uses what they call Americana Cushions, but the Reno has Accu-Fast Not 100% on that, so please double check it before you take it as fact.

Other than that, they use the exact same subframe and top liner, same slate and the same pockets.

Basically, in terms of playability, the only difference in the two will be the rubber, and the size if you want a 9' table.

For looks, the solid finish of the Belmont will hold up better to humidity, etc. over time, and you get the routing if you want something slightly more decorative, but Olhausen's lamintes and veneers tend to hold up fairly well too unless the table is in standing water.

Hope that info helps!

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
The Reno L or V series will be a Laminate or Veneer finish on oak. The Americana series (including the Belmont) has a solid Tulipwood frame.

Cosmetically, the Belmont has some routing in the legs and frame, where the Reno is just flat. The Reno is available in all finishes, but the Belmont is only available in Cherry on Tulip. Belmont is also only available in 7/8 foot, but the Reno is available in all sizes.

Also, I believe the Belmont uses what they call Americana Cushions, but the Reno has Accu-Fast Not 100% on that, so please double check it before you take it as fact.

Other than that, they use the exact same subframe and top liner, same slate and the same pockets.

Basically, in terms of playability, the only difference in the two will be the rubber, and the size if you want a 9' table.

For looks, the solid finish of the Belmont will hold up better to humidity, etc. over time, and you get the routing if you want something slightly more decorative, but Olhausen's lamintes and veneers tend to hold up fairly well too unless the table is in standing water.

Hope that info helps!

Josh,
Olhausen discontinued the cheaper cushions they used to use. All their tables use Accufast now. When you coming East Buddy?

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Josh,
Olhausen discontinued the cheaper cushions they used to use. All their tables use Accufast now. When you coming East Buddy?

Don't know, man. We came back from Vegas to a full schedule. And by full, I'm talking 85 hours this week. I'm BEAT! We have a Michgan trip coming up soon that I'm trying to work out the details. A couple of other small trips on the agenda. I refuse to complain about being busy, but I don't know when we'll have a chance to get out there. When you guys coming (slightly) west? LOL

Baby PacMan

My bias makes me RIGHT!
Silver Member
Thanks Club. Also, do all Olhausen use the same slate? I see that some Brunswicks come in 3/4" and 1".

poolplayer1956

Registered
ID of pool table

I am checking to see if possibly you can identify or give me some information on a table I recently purchased here in Virginia from an elderly friend who had the table for over 40 years. He bought it from a Virginia military base then.

The table is a "no-name" 4 1/2 by 9 feet and has this unusual skirt and metal-back pocket configuration. Underneath this is a "Newport-style" cabinet with 3 1 inch dowel-slates on wooden backing. It has the antique-style rail bolts, 4 per section.

The table also came with a cloth-backed felt which I re-used. The previous owner had re-felted it with new cushions some 40+ years ago and it still plays reasonably well for the type of table. The local pool companies suggest using such a cloth-backed felt in the future noting that the slates from this era are not like they are today. I have seen where this type of cloth plays the worst and in fact one article noted that this would exaggerate any unevenness in the playing area.

Your help would be greatly appreciated in the identification of the table. I am guessing it is a 1940ish table with perhaps a "modernization" kit. The cabinet and legs are of the baked speckle maroon texture and not any of the nicer veneer finishes as far as I can tell. The construction of the table otherwise seems similar to the older Brunswick tables however.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3,533

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You did good sir, now do me a favor and post this info in the mechanics section, starting it in it's own thread...that way it'll get seen all on it's own. This thread is just to help you help us mechanics when you ask questions about a pool table. Thank you buddy:D

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
American Heritage Avenger VS Brunswick GC

I have an American Heritage Avenger 8ft but it needs new felt and cushions. Should I spend $500 to do the AHA or just buy a used Brunswick and re-due that.

From a mechanic's point of view, if I refurbished the Avenger could I get a high level of play out of it?

The room is 18.5ft X 15ft. The gold crown is 9ft.

I know this sounds stupid. But I would like a mechanic's point of view.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I have an American Heritage Avenger 8ft but it needs new felt and cushions. Should I spend $500 to do the AHA or just buy a used Brunswick and re-due that.

From a mechanic's point of view, if I refurbished the Avenger could I get a high level of play out of it?

The room is 18.5ft X 15ft. The gold crown is 9ft.

I know this sounds stupid. But I would like a mechanic's point of view.

tedantle...you posted onto a sticky thread about providing pictures when asking for table ID. You need to scroll up and look at top left click the words "Talk To A Mechanic". When you see the forum click a box at the top that will say "New Thread". Then repost your question. By the way the room sounds a bit tight for a 9' table....but doable.:wink:

gmillioni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
table mechanic

im waiting desparately in memphis for a table mechanic. anyone coming through this way. there are no real mechanics who are kings at the trade in this area. gerald. 901 412 9618

OldTimer1943

Registered
Pocket's ?

Glenn,
I really like the pockets on the Diamond table, because of the width around the top of the table (the lip). I have a Olhausen 9' Monarch I'm getting ready to recover and new cushions. I would like to know if the Diamond pockets would fit in my pocket slots.
Thanks,
Glenn, (Oldtimer1943)

OldTimer1943

Registered
Glenn,
I really like the pockets on the Diamond table, because of the width around the top of the table (the lip). I have a Olhausen 9' Monarch I'm getting ready to recover and new cushions. I would like to know if the Diamond pockets would fit in my pocket slots.
Thanks,
Glenn, (Oldtimer1943)