how much is used slate worth?

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
I have an old 8 foot table in the basement with a 3 piece slate. I recently bought a seven ft. table that desperately needs new bumpers and cloth so I was hoping to sell the slate from the 8 ft. table to pay for the rubber and cloth on the 7 footer. I don't have pictures yet. 3/4" 3 piece slate for an eight foot table. Any ideas on value?

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I have an old 8 foot table in the basement with a 3 piece slate. I recently bought a seven ft. table that desperately needs new bumpers and cloth so I was hoping to sell the slate from the 8 ft. table to pay for the rubber and cloth on the 7 footer. I don't have pictures yet. 3/4" 3 piece slate for an eight foot table. Any ideas on value?

Is there a reason you wouldn't just sell the entire table? The market is FLOODED right now with used tables, so you probably won't get much out of the slate unless it's going to be to replace a broken set on a table with sentimental value. It will be easier to sell the whole table, but again, there's a ton of used tables out there right now.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Unless you ran into that "one" person in a million looking for a particular slate, and you just happen to have it, used slates have virtually no value.

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
Thx for the responses guys. I should have been clear in the post. When I bought the house it came with an 8' Fischer table. Before I knew any better my buddy and I attempted to lift the table and instead we ended up sliding it and severely breaking the leg. I had my brother inlaw, who is shall we say a "table mechanic apprentice", come over and he deemed it not worthy of fixing. So this leads me to my current dilema. I was hoping the slate would be worth something because I just don't have the coin to spring for new rubbers and cloth on the table I just bought right now. (sigh) Looks like I'll have him level it with theold stuff for now and hope uncle Sam is kind to me in the spring. Seems a real shame to just put this whole table to the curb though?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is there a reason you wouldn't just sell the entire table? The market is FLOODED right now with used tables, so you probably won't get much out of the slate unless it's going to be to replace a broken set on a table with sentimental value. It will be easier to sell the whole table, but again, there's a ton of used tables out there right now.

Call me tomorrow.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thx for the responses guys. I should have been clear in the post. When I bought the house it came with an 8' Fischer table. Before I knew any better my buddy and I attempted to lift the table and instead we ended up sliding it and severely breaking the leg. I had my brother inlaw, who is shall we say a "table mechanic apprentice", come over and he deemed it not worthy of fixing. So this leads me to my current dilema. I was hoping the slate would be worth something because I just don't have the coin to spring for new rubbers and cloth on the table I just bought right now. (sigh) Looks like I'll have him level it with theold stuff for now and hope uncle Sam is kind to me in the spring. Seems a real shame to just put this whole table to the curb though?

You'd be doing it a favor though...it you'd at least put one bullet in the old girl before throwing her to the curb:grin:

Dartman

Silver Member

Put it on craigs list for cheap. I'd bet someone will take it off your hands.

Rozel_GC

Freaking Noob!
Silver Member
Put it on craigs list for cheap. I'd bet someone will take it off your hands.

Don't put it out for free though. I have made the mistake of trying to give something away on craigslist, the whackjobs come out of the woodwork like you would not believe.:eek::eek:

Qstix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't put it out for free though. I have made the mistake of trying to give something away on craigslist, the whackjobs come out of the woodwork like you would not believe.:eek::eek:

Agreed, I once posted something for free and my phone rang non stop for 15 minutes until I took the post down.

People drove across town and picked it up within 30 minutes.

Rozel_GC

Freaking Noob!
Silver Member
Agreed, I once posted something for free and my phone rang non stop for 15 minutes until I took the post down.

People drove across town and picked it up within 30 minutes.

I had a guy drive a Chevy 2500 Dually (sp) from Tucson to my place (140mi round trip) to get a free workbench I built 10 years ago out of $25 worth of 2x4s and a counter top. People go nutts when the word Free is involved.

Rozel_GC

Freaking Noob!
Silver Member

Sorry to hijack your thread above.

Since you have family that can help I would get the brother in law to help fix it up as good as he can, then you can probably sell it on craigslist like stated above to someone who just wants something for the kids to play on in the garage, and do not care that one leg is held together with plywood and drywall screws. That is what I would do.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member

Are you sure it's 3/4" ? They only show 1" on their site.
That should be 8' mdf backed CLB pattern slate which goes for about $500 new. A lot less used and if shipping is involved not worth it ???
You could check to see if it's 1" and if so offer it on the for sale forum to anybody willing to pick it up.

DaveB1

Registered
I had a guy drive a Chevy 2500 Dually (sp) from Tucson to my place (140mi round trip) to get a free workbench I built 10 years ago out of $25 worth of 2x4s and a counter top. People go nutts when the word Free is involved.

Hey there..... wait a minute...... Thatwas me with the 2500. I felt bad when I took the 70 mile trip and said WTH when I saw the 'workbench". I thought I might as well help ya out and take the POS bench made out of 2x4's to a dumpster on the way home. So much for being a "nice" guy! LOL

Rozel_GC

Freaking Noob!
Silver Member
Hey there..... wait a minute...... Thatwas me with the 2500. I felt bad when I took the 70 mile trip and said WTH when I saw the 'workbench". I thought I might as well help ya out and take the POS bench made out of 2x4's to a dumpster on the way home. So much for being a "nice" guy! LOL

LOL, well thanks anyway, I needed to clear up the shop space and you are a nice guy.

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
First off, I've been reading this "talk to a mechanic" section all day and there is a wealth of knowledge here. I feel like I've gone from a complete moron to maybe more than a noob?
Ok, status update. My brother in law kinda crapped out on me so I went directly to his boss Jerimy Chambers with Chambers Billiards. I had him come out and just level the slate. I figured he comes, levels the slate and me and matt(bro in law) will throw on the old cloth and rails onto the 7' Kasson. Well after he got done leveling the slate I asked him, "hey, you're already here how much just to finish the job?" He shook his head and said "I'm not throwing these rails on this table." I gave him a confused look and he proceeded to throw on 1 side rail thumb tightened. " Shoot a ball into it" he said, so I did and saw exactly what he was talking about. The rails were completely dead and dry rot. Long and short of it he took the rails and said he had some spare rubber at the shop and would do his best to restretch the cloth. When I mentioned how money was tight he said " I don't care. You pay me what you can, when you can but you're not playing on these rails with my name attached to this project." That right there told me everything I needed to know about the guy.
Fast forward to today. Jerimy and I worked out to meet up tomorrow and finish the instilation. Oh crap! I better get that other table out of the way. How hard can it be? Afterall I'm fairly handy and I'm a member of AZ billiards dammit! I found out a couple of interesting things. 1. The slate was set without any slate screws. 2. As Tbeaux pointed out this is neither a three piece nor a 3/4" slate but rather a one piece 1" slate. 3. When it comes to concrete I'm your guy. Pool tables...not so much. "Eh, how heavy can it be?" The answer... Really freakin heavy for one man. So I'll have to have a few friends come over with the promise of beer.
So onto my new question. What should I do with the slate now? It sounds like putting it on craigslist with the 4 letter f word is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Is it worth asking a $100 for on here or just free for pick up on for sale/trade forum? Or just go to town with a sledgehammer because there is no way me and my friends are going to carry that thing out in one piece just to put it to the curb. Now, what to do with the old rails and junk sticks. A hand rail like otlb posted?... Hmmm. I will take pictures of the finished product for anyone who cares.

Last edited:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
As Tbeaux pointed out this is neither a three piece nor a 3/4" slate but rather a one piece 1" slate.

Wow....I knew Fischer was owned by C.L Bailey so it should be CLB pattern 1" but I didn't know they had one piece slate. Does it have the MDF backing or wood? Hell .....maybe you can sell that.