Check out how "sticky" this old epoxy is lol

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Old Adams I believe. Very nice points full splice rosewood. Had brown nylon wrap looked original. Tried cutting into it with razor and felt very soft. Started peeling right off with a little care lol. Must be the nylon like how epoxy doesn't like sticking to nylon based plastics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 504

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The things you do to have a little fun. :thumbup:

lol i was thinking about my grandmother while doing that......it was coming off just easy enough, reminded me of her popping those darn packing bubbles when i was a kid :) because i just couldn't put it down till i got it all off ;)

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
i'd guess that was a quick set epoxy....good indication of the actual curing that takes place for the guys who like 5 minute epoxy. Just because it gets a little hard doesnt mean its cured. Even after 20 years

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
i'd guess that was a quick set epoxy....good indication of the actual curing that takes place for the guys who like 5 minute epoxy. Just because it gets a little hard doesnt mean its cured. Even after 20 years

i was thinking the same thing Jake.....thats why i really posted this.

the expoy is pretty flexible. If i had used a heat gun i could have made some slices and just peeled it all away instead of chipping it off like i did.

Took about an hour. Some parts i'd work down and then have a skinny piece say like an inch wide almost and it would just peel up and remove a big chunk.

Curing and sytles of expoy were all that was on my mind when i was doing that....."see what 5min gets ya!" was what was going through my head.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Well, I spent some time in a guys shop who was about the process and getting done the fastest and most efficient. Had all the technology, etc. to aid in speed and precision. He said that if 5 minute epoxy was a viable solution for cuemaking than certainly he would be using it, as it would only aid in the speed of the process. Instead, he relayed that through his experience and research "talking to epoxy professionals" he came to find out that the fast setting epoxies were only "fast setting" and they wont actually fully cure in our lifetime. Other than that, i've heard from many real cuemakers that the fast setting epoxies have no place in a cue shop. I'm definitely about speeding up the process but i would feel like a real dipshit for ignoring these simple warning signs.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there, done that, looks very familiar. I replaced the finish on another makers cue some time back. The finish was on the thick side and had yellowed. I did exactly what you suggested to help get it up in chunks, though I just used a hair dryer. The entire finish could have been unzipped if I had a pointed tool with a Teflon underside to slip the point between the finish and the wood surface and just slide it down the cue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Never mind the efockxy. You think some maker who's been using them for years will recall his cues now? Doubt it.

Is that a BRW?
And is it straight?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Never mind the efockxy. You think some maker who's been using them for years will recall his cues now? Doubt it.

Is that a BRW?
And is it straight?

hehehehe...it is BRW:thumbup:

its not straight.....deciding what to do with it....gotta see how straight forearm actally is and where warpage is occurring from.....

multiple ideas have already sprouted :)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
hehehehe...it is BRW:thumbup:

its not straight.....deciding what to do with it....gotta see how straight forearm actally is and where warpage is occurring from.....

multiple ideas have already sprouted :)
Well, it might be a sad ending for that forearm.
As much as I would love to save it if I owned it .
I'd chop and it becomes a jump handle .

The handle becomes a forearm.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Great minds think alike Joey.

That would be one snazzy jumper. And a fine player as well

I've got alot more "junk" like this to come. And some gorgeous junk it is :cool::thumbup:

It would also come I handy for some of that rosewood I got some years back and had to chop up in sections. Rattas been wanting a player. &#55357;&#56396;

Last edited: