efren and straight pool

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen and heard about a few exploits, but by and large
effie doesn't seem to have indulged the great game.
in another thread, CJ insinuated it may have been "too easy," for efren..
thoughts? why hasn't efren played it more, I wonder?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it wasn't the main game at the time he made his way over here from what I've been told by the old timers in my hall.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I recall correctly, Efren never played straight pool until he prepared for The Maine Event in 1995. And he certainly hasn't played many 14.1 events since then. But he has done well when he played the game:

1995 -- 1st in the Maine Event
2000 -- 3rd in the US Open 14.1 Championship (Souquet 1st, Chin 2nd)
2012 -- 2nd in the World 14.1 (Schmidt 1st)
2018 -- 9th/16th in the American 14.1 Championship

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If I recall correctly, Efren never played straight pool until he prepared for The Maine Event in 1995. And he certainly hasn't played many 14.1 events since then. But he has done well when he played the game:

1995 -- 1st in the Maine Event
2000 -- 3rd in the US Open 14.1 Championship (Souquet 1st, Chin 2nd)
2012 -- 2nd in the World 14.1 (Schmidt 1st)
2018 -- 9th/16th in the American 14.1 Championship

I could be wrong here, but I thought Efren also played in the 1993 US Open 14.1 event.

Efren was no Sigel or Mizerak at the game, but he figured out straight pool pretty quickly, and he played a couple of defensive shots using masse at the 2000 event that Rempe said he'd never seen before.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong here, but I thought Efren also played in the 1993 US Open 14.1 event. ...

No, Efren was not there. 1993 was the year of the PBTA boycott, or non-sanctioning, of the BCA event. So none of the PBT's top guns were allowed to play.

The 32 entrants, listed here in first-round pairings, were: West/Disalvo, Mathews/Ruocco, Barouty/Thompson, Rodriguez/Vanover, Jones/Serville, Lee/Colavita, Lin/Schwartz, Hasch/Gay, Jenkins/Condo, Golder/Turley, Ervolino/Garcia, Chen/Hunter, Martin/Twist, Zak/Lisciotti, Fujima/Ortmann, Vieira/Zuglan.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No, Efren was not there. 1993 was the year of the PBTA boycott, or non-sanctioning, of the BCA event. So none of the PBT's top guns were allowed to play.

The 32 entrants, listed here in first-round pairings, were: West/Disalvo, Mathews/Ruocco, Barouty/Thompson, Rodriguez/Vanover, Jones/Serville, Lee/Colavita, Lin/Schwartz, Hasch/Gay, Jenkins/Condo, Golder/Turley, Ervolino/Garcia, Chen/Hunter, Martin/Twist, Zak/Lisciotti, Fujima/Ortmann, Vieira/Zuglan.

Thanks for that. Yes, that was the event I meant. I remember the boycott well.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember Efren being asked this question and his answer was no money.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I recall correctly, Efren never played straight pool until he prepared for The Maine Event in 1995.

I believe it. I was there, and watched him pop in table-length combos no experienced straight pool player would likely have attempted.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it. I was there, and watched him pop in table-length combos no experienced straight pool player would likely have attempted.

really cool..

found this in another thread:
"Definitely not his first 14.1 tourny. He played in the 1993 U.S. Open for sure and I'm pretty sure he played in another at the same time period of the 1993 event."

source: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=255959

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Which is interesting in the sense that people think today's top rotation players who try 14.1 are playing it wrong. Those attempts have been around for much longer than anyone knows.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

During that match he asked the referee for a rule explanation. I think it involved either the final object ball or cue ball being in the rack. Didn't completely know the rules but won the event - and there were some great 14.1 players in that event.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i remember correctly , ortmann won the 1993 us open ?!
efren played the 2012 world 14.1 by accident , he was there for the world class 3 cushion tournament in the same location .
schmidt vs reyes 2012 was one of the best straight pool finals ive ever saw .
keep in stroke everybody

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tonight looking through some of Bob Byrne's files I ran across a flyer for a challenge match between Ginky and Efren in April 17, 2000 at Amsterdam. (Efren won two of three sets.) Attached was a note:

After this match ended, Efren played a 150-point straight pool game against Tony Robles. Efren broke; Tony ran 21; Efren ran 147; Tony ran a few and then Efren ran out. -- Ned Polsky​

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonight looking through some of Bob Byrne's files I ran across a flyer for a challenge match between Ginky and Efren in April 17, 2000 at Amsterdam. (Efren won two of three sets.) Attached was a note:

After this match ended, Efren played a 150-point straight pool game against Tony Robles. Efren broke; Tony ran 21; Efren ran 147; Tony ran a few and then Efren ran out. -- Ned Polsky​

nice tidbit..thanks bob!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think that was the day after the 2000 US Open Straight Pool Championship, where Efren was 3rd and Ginky was 13th/16th.