New League at Red Shoes

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
We are planning to start a Wednesday Straight Pool League at Red Shoes, starting September 5, 2012. Unlike the Monday night league, it is a non-handicapped league. Everyone plays everyone straight up. Obviously, some of the more experienced and more talented players will have an advantage, but for our purposes, this is not important. This is not going to be a big moneymaking league for anyone. It will give many of the players an opportunity to play and learn more by having to compete at a higher level.

One game per week to 125. $10 per player entry fee per week, half of which goes to the house. You get $5.00 for each win. I guess it is a way for the better player to get some of his money back, but one could view that as a teaching stipend to the better player. The additional $5 out of each match will go into a pot and at the end of the session, we will have a tournament. At this time, we are reserving the right to have some handicap aspect to this tournament. We also are reserving the right at this time to get an additional small entry fee to this tournament to fatten up the purse. This is a work in progress and we will figure it out as we go along.

Make-ups MUST be made up within two weeks of scheduling or there will be a forfeit against the player who originally could not make it and the entry fee will have to be paid.

Not sure how many players we are going to allow in, but we have ten already headed by Local Straight Pool Stalwarts,Jeffrey Mohl and Ed Latimer. Pm me if interested.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Good Luck

If i lived in Chicago i would be honored to play in this league.

this is a great opportunity for all players to better thier games, without the risk of a big weekly fee. in my eyes its a win/win !!!

good luck !
-Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Like Stevie, I too wish that I were playing in your league.
Best of Luck with the new season. Please give us updates during the season.
I am thinking of flying up there next year like 9ballJim did & playing in your tournament. Would love to meet everyone & play a few good games of pool.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
If i lived in Chicago i would be honored to play in this league.

this is a great opportunity for all players to better thier games, without the risk of a big weekly fee. in my eyes its a win/win !!!

good luck !
-Steve

Thanks, Stevie, but with your back!?! :rolleyes:

That's why we are only doing one match instead of our usual two matches. Guys are getting older and lamer, yet still want to play. We may have to call it the Geriatric League!

Like Stevie, I too wish that I were playing in your league.
Best of Luck with the new season. Please give us updates during the season.
I am thinking of flying up there next year like 9ballJim did & playing in your tournament. Would love to meet everyone & play a few good games of pool.

We have 11 guys already saying they are in. Rick Michalec, Sr. just told me he was in. 70 ball runner.

I may try to live stream one match every Wednesday night. Pick out different guys so the world can dig the ambiance of Red Shoes.

That would be great if you came up. If you could spend a few days here, you could meet all the guys and play with them a bit.

Ask Jim. We are a fairly friendly group.

D

Last edited:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Stevie, but with your back!?! :rolleyes:

That's why we are only doing one match instead of our usual two matches. Guys are getting older and lamer, yet still want to play. We may have to call it the Geriatric League!

We have 11 guys already saying they are in. Rick Michalec, Sr. just told me he was in. 70 ball runner.

I may try to live stream one match every Wednesday night. Pick out different guys so the world can dig the ambiance of Red Shoes.

That would be great if you came up. If you could spend a few days here, you could meet all the guys and play with them a bit.

Ask Jim. We are a fairly friendly group.

D

Very friendly group of guys. I wish I had more time to spend at Red Shoes last weekend and play some of these great players in some casual matches. Moreover, I'd rather be living back in Chicago.

Coincidentally, I ran into Tom Karabotsos at Chris's Billiards Sunday night. I happened to be picking up my girlfriend from her mom's place which is close to Milwaukee and Lawrence and I googled Chris's and had to stop since it was so close. It looked like Tom had some 1P action. He offered to play me some 14.1 but I couldn't stay very long. I wish I would have had more time to play him. He seems like a really good guy and a great player. I definitely like Red Shoes better than Chris's.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
update

I wanted to stop at 20 and I think I am already there.

Tom Karabotsos
Jeffrey Mohl
Bob Cozzolino
Ed Latimer
Rick Michalec, Sr.
George Fels
Ron Shepard are some of the names you may be familiar with if you have watched any of the streams the past few years.

Others include some guys with high runs 30-50 and even more. This should be interesting. I hope to live stream a match a week starting Sept 5.

I wonder if I will get tired of getting beat up all the time. Hmm. Stay Tuned.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Update

We went with 25 guys in our new league.

These two have run 200 or 300 before:

Bobby Hunter
Tom Karabotsos

These guys have all run a hondo before:

Jeff Mohl
Bob Cozzolino
Ed Latimer
Sam DeChristopher

These guys have gotten into the 70s:

Rick Michalec, Sr.
Ron Shepard

These guys have all run a 50:

Rich Griffin
Bob Stark
Dave Kucan
Rich Klein
Dennis Walsh
Sam Farinella

Not sure here. Some have probably run a 50, others 30-40.
Mike Eck
Jack Jarocki
Vince Crovetti
Adam Kucharczyk
Jim Miglioratti
Rick Rastis
Mark Kwan
Ted Antle
Kevin Deane
Dan Casey
Brian Wilken

It should be a good time. We will be live streaming some of the matches on this channel

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wednesday-red-shoes-straight-pool-league

and maybe some other channels as time goes by. Red Shoes now has 7 tables wired with cameras. http://www.ustream.tv/user/redsh0es

Last edited: