Ferrule question, what am I doing wrong?

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I have had a rash of no name cues that needed ferrules. I have been using Juma ones but no matter what I do they come out like the picture and I have to sand the heck out of them to get them smooth. I tried new cutter, higher and lower speed and no matter what I do, they come out like the picture. I need to purchase some more ferrules and looking for recommendations?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 581

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I have had a rash of no name cues that needed ferrules. I have been using Juma ones but no matter what I do they come out like the picture and I have to sand the heck out of them to get them smooth. I tried new cutter, higher and lower speed and no matter what I do, they come out like the picture. I need to purchase some more ferrules and looking for recommendations?

Thanks,

How's your cutter?
Is it loose?
New, inexpensive cutter?
Feed rate?

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Turning too slow and feeding too fast , and taking too big a cut could cause that.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

You didn’t say what lathe you use, but to me it looks like a dull cutting tool is at least a part of this. I use a Cuesmith lathe and cutting tools from Chris Hightower. Start with a sharp cutting tool, adjust the speed and feed rate accordingly and the problem should diminish or disappear. JMHO.

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using a Cue Companion. When you say feed rate, are you doing this by hand or do you have an auto feed. I used a brand new blade and got the same results.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Not a real cue maker. But done some ferrule, tip and have built a few shafts. Question why have a tip on one that ferrule is being replaced YET? I would tenon shaft ,place ferrule material,CENTER DRILL small divot so live center runs smooth. Bring ferrule to required mm. A tip very easily will not run true if using a live center.
Depth of cuts close to tip are finer then those near the shaft end. Likely hand feed rate cross slide a bit to loose ?

Mike and others are the experts just a few thoughts here. I may be wrong and certainly won’t object to any schooling in my direction.

Edit: I just t read Cue Companion so hand feeding rate.
I have a powered lead screw on my CueSmith �� that I added a 3 way switch to feed left/ right or stop.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I despise inserts. (for wood or esp. plastic)

Having got that out of the way :D

Assuming it is a sharp positive rake insert with some small radius.....

Do you have the center height set correctly?

Inserts, if set even a little too high, won't cut. But the corner will still plow soft materials like plastic.

If set too low, they will cut, but the work may deflect, leading to a different from of roughness.

BTW, typical practice is to cut going toward the chuck for best support/minimal deflection, not away from it.
Cutting out can also pull the tip off or loosen the edges for later failure.
If you have it backed up by a live center and pad when cutting, i retract my objection. :)

smt

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I despise inserts. (for wood or esp. plastic)

Having got that out of the way :D

Assuming it is a sharp positive rake insert with some small radius.....

Do you have the center height set correctly?

Inserts, if set even a little too high, won't cut. But the corner will still plow soft materials like plastic.

If set too low, they will cut, but the work may deflect, leading to a different from of roughness.

BTW, typical practice is to cut going toward the chuck for best support/minimal deflection, not away from it.
Cutting out can also pull the tip off or loosen the edges for later failure.
If you have it backed up by a live center and pad when cutting, i retract my objection. :)

smt

Inserts for facing.
https://uniqueinc.com/inc/sdetail/3_8__carbide_cutter/3716/11694
That for turning ferrules.

Assuming his gib and cross slide have no noticeable play.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
this has got to be a joke... that ferrule in pic is not juma... that ferrule is nylon...
Nice try tho’

Rob.M

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you post a picture showing the part and the collet or chuck and the tool you are using all in the 1 picture, it will give a better indication as to what is happening.
Neil

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Ribbed for your pleasure. ;)

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased these from a reputable source and the said Juma on them. However, I was thinking the same thing.

this has got to be a joke... that ferrule in pic is not juma... that ferrule is nylon...
Nice try tho’

Rob.M

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks some good advice here. I'll pull out and old shaft and try again. If it still happens I'll get some better pictures.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a combination of wrong speed and feed, depth of cut and type of cutting tool. One more thing, is the point of your cutting tool at center height?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I would ask that you post a close up picture of your cutting tool right up next to your work piece. Then we can see what you are working with.