AZers and the economic meltdown

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hey folks,

I've been a lurker on these forums for years - a hobbyist pool player with more respect for the game than talent for it. I've enjoyed the chatter, from advice to banter, but nothing that really inspired me to post anything. I don't really need a custom cue as my game is NOT that sophisticated, but i was drawn back to these forums trying to glean advice for building a Schmelke cue...simply because, in these trying times, i want to support an American small business that a lot of you folks seem to have a ton of respect for. Ultimately, i ended up on this thread.

I have to say, seeing the way you guys look out for each other and encourage each other - irrespective of creed or station in life - has been one of the highlights of this period of isolation for me. Just goes to show where there is a genuine, caring community, you are never REALLY isolated.

YNWA,
bentley

We're beat up pretty bad, but I'm sure we'll be kickin' ass and taking names in no time. Welcome Bentley!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm retired. Biggest difference is no indoor dining and gym closed. I still go jogging every day outside in a nearby park. I bought some dumbbells and a bench and am working out downstairs next to the pool table. On the days I didn't lift at the gym I went to a McDonalds and talked with the other retirees.

It has caused me to alter my routine but I'm dealing with it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Job is over in a day or 2 and unfortunately I've been sick the last 2 days so quarantined at home. The worse part of it is the company I work for has lost all of their work till September and that's only a few weeks IF they still have that contract. GF also lost her job a week ago and is pursuing a lawsuit against them.

Should be a fun summer lol.

I will probably find work but I'll have to travel, possibly taking her with to do similar work. Could be a win win except for not being able to get out of my lease till September.

Btw, probably sick due to the site I'm at taking NO precautions whatsoever with a couple thousand people on site

The people running that job site deserve a finger in the eye. No precautions?? Damn that's bullshit. Good luck to you, hope you get square soon..

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
No one has made the assertion that this disease only attacks the elderly. But the Elderly are way more at risk OF DEATH than the young, that's why it's imperative that the elderly take the most precaution, and that we keep it out of assisted living / nursing homes.

I live in an age restricted community 55+, many resident are 80 +, and 90+. I was just out to the hardware store most of the people are practing in social distancing.

They use to call old age the Golden Years, I know why Doctors take your saved Gold.

Yes their are a lot of Seniors with under lineing health conditions. But today in the USA there are a lot of the younger generation are ignoring their health, they do not excercise, or eat properly.

Diabetes is on the rise in the younger generation, when I was young a XL size shirt was about the largest sixe you could buy. Today' a XXXXXL is not unusual to find for sale.

Diabetics can look forward to heart disease, stroke, loosing vision, and Dyalisis if you do not get your act together.

Think I kidding about people go to Wal - Mart were the America shop. I like to joke with my weight loss coach at the VA. I know what not to eat, I go to Wal - Mart, find a Big Person in grocery section, looking at what they buy. I don't buy that s***.

BTW I made a life style change, lost almost 38 pounds. I am not I a diet, I change how I eat.:wink:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
So sad to read how this virus affect our lifes. I’m not logging on very often anymore, but despite it’s sadness it was nice to read this thread and see how the pool community care for each other.

Stu, please, get some friends to do your shopping for you for the next couple of weeks. Stay away from places with many people.

Here in Norway we are testing a lot, and have few deaths. The country is almost in full lockdown now, business is hurting big and people are being laid off. Luckily we have a large national fund and are willing to spend some of it now, so hopefully that will reduce the damages.

Listen to the advices from the medical authorites. Wash your hands, stay away from large groups of people.

To stay at home for 14 days being bored is a better option than go out and accidentally spread the virus to someone with underlying conditions who might not get to live another 14 days.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hope you and yours recover. But, this is not an economic meltdown. The economy was strong. This is a virus, a medical emergency. What the Congress is deciding on, is not a stimulus. The economy did not need to be stimulated. It is a virus, a medical emergency.

It came from China, where food preparation standards are apparently non-existent. A lot of people visiting China, and apparently South Korea, brought it here. It's what we have.

Our economy is the strongest that it's ever been, though we could debate about the boom years of the 1950s. This is a virus, spread by people who are nonchalant, don't think they're vulnerable, used to traveling, etc.

Be safe, be healthy. But don't go near other people for the time being.

All the best,
WW

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like this to be about pool, but it's really about us AZ members. We might bicker but we're pool fanatics and brothers and sisters.

I figure my company is potentially facing no income for the next six to seven months. My investments have taken a hit that could buy a nice house or two. We will survive because we're prepared for it, but what if we weren't?

My business associates are all getting "furloughed" which is the new word for laidoff. They're thinking a couple of months. How are you being affected? Are you apprehensive? What are you doing to help your situation?

Hi Chris,

I’m sitting at home waiting it out. How much of a hit have I took? Not sure, all my $ is in property and what’s happening to those values isn’t clear yet. Not sure if rents will come in or not.

I’m staying home, healthy (far as I know) and playing by the rules.

I’m not worried, we are all in the same fish tank so-to-speak. Nobody’s the bad guy for not having their job anymore. It’s like the titanic-hopefully we don’t sink tho. Wait and see is my plan.

I’m confident that this isn’t the end of the world and from it the world will recover as a whole. We might lose some people along the way.

That’s my thoughts hope everyone on AZB is ok and can make it through this mess. So we can argue about pool for another 20-30 years!!!

Fatboy

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now in California fully 50% of people who have tested positive have been between 18 and 49! I corrected my earlier numbers. The assumption that this is only a disease attacking the elderly is dead wrong!

I think one of the reasons that we are seeing a quick and higher rate of "younger" people testing positive is because the "younger" crowd is still "out and about" much more than the "older" crowd.

They are having to "force" younger people to stay inside in some places...i.e., New Orleans.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think one of the reasons that we are seeing a quick and higher rate of "younger" people testing positive is because the "younger" crowd is still "out and about" much more than the "older" crowd.

They are having to "force" younger people to stay inside in some places...i.e., New Orleans.

They're getting the message in L.A., much less social interaction right now. They are starting to realize they are human. My daughter is at USC and they have their own testing facility and protocol. The test is not for the meek, a long swab all the way up into the deep sinus cavity.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That’s my thoughts hope everyone on AZB is ok and can make it through this mess. So we can argue about pool for another 20-30 years!!!

Fatboy

Eric,

Just glad you're posting here and safe - not much else to do. God forbid I go to Von's and get sneezed on.

Don't eat any bats,

Chris

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric,

Just glad you're posting here and safe - not much else to do. God forbid I go to Von's and get sneezed on.

Don't eat any bats,

Chris

Lol-no bats for me!!!

Glad your here as well.

Take care

Fatboy :)